Active Topics

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Originally Posted by epage View Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I am keeping my 770. My current plans are to use it with Gizmo and DialCentral as a home VOIP Phone. I wanted to use it also as a digital picture frame but the battery is required for operation, I didn't want to track when to charge it, and I didn't want to kill the battery leaving it always charging.
Fear not ...
charger is smart - wsod'ed n770 works for me as my home linux server still on charger with battery as a backup.

Originally Posted by butelo View Post
I've both and totally agree with you
and you don't need iTunes with your IT
This was another annoying sticking point with me because I hate being forced into only one solution. But syncing is quick and painless (so far).

Originally Posted by epage View Post
and I didn't want to kill the battery leaving it always charging.
this is a li-on battery you cannot kill the battery by leaving it charging

there will be more of these discussions as android and the g1 roll out....the best comparision i have heard is the iphone (ipod touch) are for people who just want stuff to work (like my wife) the n810 (and soon the g1) are for people who want to say i can do this/that and the other thing and maybe it will do this/that and the other thing and maybe it will crash- i am a tinkerer my wife is not... that is why there is chocolate and vanilla ice cream

it's probably more important to read the Intention rather than how X does at Y. All good comparisons, in fact, are comparisons of intention, which avoids the 5 stars > 3 stars. More of an intellectual and less of a random judger or a consumer, or a 'rater', which is mostly pointless... but you know, this being the internetn and all, these things can't be helped.

That being said, an n810 is an intellectual's dream. And I have gone the way of the alphasmart dana, a voice recorder, and a laptop. I haven't touched my laptop since i got this -- in fact, I've sold it. And I'm one of the many people who can't live with a soulless apple gadget in my life ... can't stand the smell

The Following User Says Thank You to q335r49 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lazuli View Post
it all boils down to what you really need:

movies, music, light surfing, light gaming - touch
programming, note taking, heavy surfing (cut+paste), palm, pdf reading - tablet

i never really treated the tablet as a music/movie/gaming gadget, and i never will. maybe that's why i've no interest in the touch. for me it's more of a serious productivity device. typing on my n800 has really grown on me, i can even type faster than my friend types on his eee pc
Heh. My N800 is a laptop. So it's a music and gaming gadget, as well as programming, note taking, surfing, pdf reading (but not palm reading ).

Maybe I don't take my productivity seriously enough; I'd get more done if I didn't play games, but I don't think the music hurts...

That typing though -- your friend type slow or something? I type a little faster on my 701, even though I don't use it enough to be fully adapted to it. (I'm faster on my 3245WW BT keyboard than either.) But the N800's sure not bad, IMHO. Especially when walking, or even biking. (I haven't tried either of the others while cycling, but I have done some light scripting on the N800 while on a leisurely (for me) cruise with (huffing and puffing) friends.)

Another win for the n810...The battery actually out performs the touch while surfing. The touch seems to conserve power as well as the 810 (perhaps even better), but the touch has roughly 2-3 hours of surfing time instead of the 3-4 on the 810.