Active Topics

Hello

I need a way to flash my N800 with OS2008 to OS2007.

This is for the following reasons:

1) battery consumption was better in 2007
2) bbc internet radio streams worked better (OS2008 gives intermmitent errors when trying to connect
3) mp3 streams worked better (frequent errors when opening streams from podcast.com)
4) i miss the OS2007 version of Canola
5) i miss the OS2007 option for locking applets

So given my reasons above, can anyone help? The Nokia Windows software installer tool does not allow me to select an OS2007 image file, I just get a message "the software version in your device is already the latest".

this could be the last straw, i'm fed up with my buggy N800 OS and am on the brink of switching.

thanks in advance

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by konaboy32 View Post
Please see the firmware flashing instructions in the wiki. Then:
  1. In "Flashing your tablet" step 2, download the last OS2007 image instead of the latest OS2008 image.
  2. As you work your way through the firmware update wizard, don't blindly click the "Next" button over and over. Slow down, and when you get to the step where the wizard shows the current firmware version on your tablet and the latest version available for download, you'll see there's a "Change" button you can click to select an alternate, local firmware image. Choose the older firmware you downloaded in step 1 above.

Hi konaboy,

try this:
go to
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N800.php
and download the lasted 2007 image to your harddisk.

Since I left my tablet at home I cannot try try so I'm not sure how the button is titled exactly, it's something like "Choose" or "Select" on the Nokia Windows software installer.
Press it choose the downloaded image file and you switched back to 2007.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Solico

But I have downloaded the latest OS2007
RX-34_2007SE_4.2007.38-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin

The problem is when I select this image in the wizard. I just get that message "the software version in your device is already the latest" and then all the buttons in the wizard are greyed-out except for cancel.

extrememly frustrating - why would nokia want to prevent this?

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by konaboy32 View Post
Hello
You know, I was thinking about doing some kind of downgrade too. I am very disappointed with the last OS update. I am a long time user, started with a Nokia 770 that I got in the first days it become available and now I have a N800. I always loved my tablet, but now I'm very frustrated with the thing.
NOKIA PLEASE make the browser stable! I want to be able to load pages, click on links, scroll without getting my blood pressure up.

Thanks.

PS: My *always-on* tablet now is *always-off*. I am afraid to leave it on because I don't know when I need to use it and I'll find out that the battery is drained.

Can you get your hand on a Linux computer somewhere? The Linux flasher shouldn't have a problem flashing the image you downloaded. The wizard seems to be a bit too smart for the user's good. (Is there a flasher alternative to the wizard for Windows, btw?)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
(Is there a flasher alternative to the wizard for Windows, btw?)
I compiled 0xFFFF in cygwin using libusb32 and after some modifications to the source, I got it to compile and I made the N800 in update mode use the libusb driver.

0xFFFF runs but it hangs when I connect the N800 in update more

unfortunately no access to a linux box. incidentally i even tried installing various older versions of the updater tool but it didn't help. anyway, thanks to everybody who has contributed so far!

Can you perhaps burn a live CD of a linux distro and use that? I would suggest Ubuntu.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Any computer can be a linux computer temporarily. Apart from Ubuntu live cd you can also try http://www.sysresccd.org/ It can be also installed on USB stick or card reader if you don't have CD/DVD drive.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.