Active Topics

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
>> Re: n900 coming at end of Q3 2008

We are now in the Q4....

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
This thread is dead. The N900 won't be coming out this year. Sometime between next spring and next fall (Q2-Q3 2009).

Originally Posted by qole View Post
This thread is dead. The N900 won't be coming out this year. Sometime between next spring and next fall (Q2-Q3 2009).
if that is so, I will buy a Pandora or a BenQ. I am running out memory on my N800....

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by luso View Post
if that is so, I will buy a Pandora or a BenQ. I am running out memory on my N800....
16GB SD card: $35.

Pandora: Sold out until 2009.

BenQ: Good projector units.

it's too long a gap. The N810w is a total mis-hit. 2 years from n800 is just too long. I went on a trip for the first time for a while with my n800, it's just not up to par. with the new ssu it keeps getting fllash errors "a script on this page is making flash run slowly" message, the speed of loading pager s is still far off my pc.

I'm really disappointed with this news.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
I hope something comes out of left field soon, before summer next year. I need to get a new handheld device and I'd prefer to jump onto a new device and not something that is in it's death throes.

The Following User Says Thank You to killdeer For This Useful Post:
I am afraid that if Nokia does not release the N900 before year end, many N8x0 owners will move to a different platform. During all summer, with all the buzz around the new IT (N900) our expectations were raised, and we are excited to buy a new device. Many of us will not resist to the temptation of looking around for an alternative device. And that's a pity.

I am happy with my N800, but as the system memory is ridiculous small, I had to uninstall several applications I trully enjoyed like Gnumeric, Battle for Wesnoth, etc. I would appreciate the keyboard and the GPS of N810, but the small system memory held me back (I have an N95 so the lack of the GPS is minimised as I can use the N95 GPS with the N800 using bluetooth). therefore, the N810 is not an option.

Last edited by luso; 2008-10-08 at 20:26.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I think that between Android and Pandora, Nokia is going to have an up-hill battle if they're really waiting until Spring or later next year to release a new Maemo based device.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I don't think "waiting" is the right term; "working on" might be closer.

With the so-much-more-powerful hardware (which requires bugs ironing out etc.) and new connectivity (mmm, regulation); there's a requirement for a massive improvement in the shipped software to ensure that reviews aren't negative solely on the basis of the software.

New PIM engine; integrated, consistent UI; powerful media players; revamped UI; accelerated graphics; location-aware content; ... - all this takes time to write, and you only get one shot at a lot of press.

Would it have been good for Nokia to release the N900 last month? Yes. Is it practical? No. The next tablet was going to be OMAP3-based to get the performance which has been wanted for so long. The OMAP3430's only just started finalising silicon, software takes time (remember: elephanta was cancelled).

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
I think that between Android and Pandora, Nokia is going to have an up-hill battle if they're really waiting until Spring or later next year to release a new Maemo based device.
Maybe I'm just an optimist, but I'm hoping for at least 1024x600 screen, which should help. By that time it seems likely Android will have matched the 800x480 (Touch HD, maybe?), but it's not clear anyone else will have moved ahead in screens, and that was one awesome thing about the 770.

At least I hope they don't plan to sit there and let everyone else catch up in hardware...