Posts: 67 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland, New Zealand
Hey folks,
My N810's touch screen recently died. For a little while it lost calibration, or sensitivity, but now it's totally dead. The image is still there, but no clicks register. I have found a way to start up apps after a reboot, first starting Help from the homepage and then using the Switch-Apps button to get to the App menu, but a lot of Apps a very difficult, if not impossible to use without some screen input. I'm considering opening it up to see if it's a loose connection, but I may destroy it in the process. So, any bright ideas as to what it is useful for now?

Cheers,
Craig

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
ssH to turn it into USB host and attach a USB keyboard. Just a thought....

bun

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
CAREFULLY slide something short and thin around under the bezel to ensure nothing has become lodged there.
I had a screen protector cause similar symptoms.

/edit Also here is a prior thread (I'm feeling generous, normally I'd just say SEARCH)
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16887
PLEASE use the Wiki

Last edited by gemniii42; 2008-10-05 at 02:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
If the tip above doesn't work, install X11vnc and control it 'remotely'.

Assuming non-repairability, I'd say it could be used as a carputer (or a remote control for such), with special software all around; if you use/would use Debian/KDE/FVWM2, I think a USB mouse could answer nicely, but it's a major hassle with the normal Hildon stack, where too many things expect pressure and/or hide the pointer.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
My guess is that the connector fell loose, I've seen it happen to a lot of people (How about a little QA, Nokia?). If you feel like you can handle yourself with small, delicate consumer electronics, you can open it up and reattach it. It's a fairly simple operation (talk to crashanddie on #maemo if you need details).

The N810 isn't yet a year old, though, so all of them should be in warranty. Why not process the repair through Nokia?

But what good is such a tiny desktop computer when I have a full sized one here anyway? I like the X11vnc idea, but I'm not sure what I can do with it after that. I doubt it is any good as a media server, maybe it could just show weather information, or a security cam of the front door (if I had one).

Anyone want to buy it?

*edit* Ahh, I see new ideas came in while I wrote this post

Well I got mucked around by the service dept at first. The email with instructions for sending it back never came, they keep asking for the IMEI number for my "phone" and they ignore me when I say they are getting my name wrong (is "Craig" really that exotic?). Eventually someone called me at about 3am (I'm in New Zealand and they didn't read the email about the time difference to here and that email is a much better way to handle things) BUT they did a stella thing for me. They're sending me a replacement. Not a repair, a brand spanking new one.

Hi,

Congrats on your results.

Nice to hear a good thing about Nokia's customer service.

David

A replacement, without you sending it in?!

/me takes apart an N800 and looks for the touchscreen connector

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: