Has this been updated for the new SSU update?

Penguinbait, I realize that writing docs is no fun, but wouldn't it be more convenient for both yourself and the users if you had a text file (e.g. bootmenu-installer.txt) accompanying each of the downloadable .debs explaining what the package does and offering simple FAQ/Howto advice on dealing with issues like the "Seamless" Software Updates?

Alternatively there could be a link to some online resource where these issues are debated and updates announced.

Nokia seems to be only supporting users with virgin setups, but a whole lot of users depend on the added functionality from community sources, and some things like booting from SD-cards just makes so much sense that it's painful, like far greater capacities, faster data access and keeping the soldered-in flash from wearing out...

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Penguinbait, I realize that writing docs is no fun, but wouldn't it be more convenient for both yourself and the users if you had a text file (e.g. bootmenu-installer.txt) accompanying each of the downloadable .debs explaining what the package does and offering simple FAQ/Howto advice on dealing with issues like the "Seamless" Software Updates?

Alternatively there could be a link to some online resource where these issues are debated and updates announced.

Nokia seems to be only supporting users with virgin setups, but a whole lot of users depend on the added functionality from community sources, and some things like booting from SD-cards just makes so much sense that it's painful, like far greater capacities, faster data access and keeping the soldered-in flash from wearing out...

This is what I am using my blog for, I am working on documenting all my crap. It may be a while before its all complete though

visit site at http://tablethacker.com
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Bootmenu Installer has been updated to support the latest versions of the OS

Modified initfs with onscreen boot menu and usb network recovery
Nokia 770 - IT2006 versions 1.2006.26-8, 2.2006.39-14, 3.2006.49-2, IT2007 hacker edition 2.2006.48-7, 4.2007.36-2
N800 - IT2007 versions 2.2006.51-6, 3.2007.10-7, 4.2007.26-8, 4.2007.38-2

N800,N810 - IT2008 versions 1.2007.42-18, 1.2007.42-19, 2.2007.50-2, 4.2008.23-14 (Diablo), 4.2008.30-2 (first Diablo update), 4.2008.36-5

Always remember to thank Fanoush
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Ok. Another question. The more I read, the more I'm understanding, but I'm not there yet.

I used PB's "Clone OS to SD" deb on my n810 and can now boot 30-2 from internal mmc. My installed application menu on internal flash shows no bootmenu-installer. Can I safely install this in internal flash (having already backed up my bootmenu.conf to the external SD)? I ask because I'd like to set this up and THEN try to update both internal flash and internal mmc to 36-5.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by tubby17 View Post
Ok. Another question. The more I read, the more I'm understanding, but I'm not there yet.

I used PB's "Clone OS to SD" deb on my n810 and can now boot 30-2 from internal mmc. My installed application menu on internal flash shows no bootmenu-installer. Can I safely install this in internal flash (having already backed up my bootmenu.conf to the external SD)? I ask because I'd like to set this up and THEN try to update both internal flash and internal mmc to 36-5.

Thanks.

You can and should only install this under flash. If it was previously installed, just uninstall it, and install the new version.

The best way to proceed in my opinion, is the following.

1) boot to flash and install 36-5 upgrade, it will reboot

2) It will boot to flash again, now install bootmenu installer

3) Reboot

4) when it boots you will be able to boot to flash 36-5, or SD 30-2

(I am not sure however if the 36-5 upgrade will work run from SD?)

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
You can and should only install this under flash. If it was previously installed, just uninstall it, and install the new version.

The best way to proceed in my opinion, is the following.

1) boot to flash and install 36-5 upgrade, it will reboot

2) It will boot to flash again, now install bootmenu installer

3) Reboot

4) when it boots you will be able to boot to flash 36-5, or SD 30-2

Thanks, dude. I'll let you know how it goes...

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Yes, it will, although the bootmenu is then gone, so you'd better have some way of booting to reinstall the bootmenu.

And if you want to update both SD and flash, the best routine seems to be
  1. Boot to SD
  2. Update
  3. When it reboots, it'll come to flash (because no bootmenu)
  4. Update
  5. When it reboots, it'll come to flash again
  6. Install bootmenu.
  7. On reboot, you'll have options as expected...

However, my setup is more complicated than that, and I use Fanoush's package independently, so I'm unable to say I've done exactly that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Yes, it will, although the bootmenu is then gone, so you'd better have some way of booting to reinstall the bootmenu.

And if you want to update both SD and flash, the best routine seems to be
  1. Boot to SD
  2. Update
  3. When it reboots, it'll come to flash (because no bootmenu)
  4. Update
  5. When it reboots, it'll come to flash again
  6. Install bootmenu.
  7. On reboot, you'll have options as expected...

However, my setup is more complicated than that, and I use Fanoush's package independently, so I'm unable to say I've done exactly that.
IT WORKED!!! I've got the latest OS in flash and internal mmc. No problems whatsoever. Benson, PB: you guys rock. I'll got post my success to the main thread and reference Benson's post.

Thank you both sincerely.

I hate to ask, but I guess I gotta - I was able to get the bootmenu-installer onto my n800 yesterday (it was dual booting until the recent os update trashed it, suddenly, no access to the internal sd, back to booting from flash, which has issues as I will relate). I tried installing bootmenu-installer from my documents folder, but it just says unable to install. I really need it to work because I just recently discovered this n800 which I recently bought used does not have a lock code I can use (11345 doesn't work, I emailed the guy who sold it but his also fails). I have plenty of room on the internal card but the flash is down to like 10 megs free.