Closed Thread
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Also, wouldn't it be practical to expose these large "SSU" bundles to the larger non-Nokia developer community at least a few days prior to their official release? That way some third party packages could be also updated for compatibility with the "SSU"
That might help, but then, every time Nokia has released an item for early testing, there's a surprisingly large outcry in these fora from people who can't believe Nokia would release beta quality software with bugs in.

I blame Google humanity.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
That might help, but then, every time Nokia has released an item for early testing, there's a surprisingly large outcry in these fora from people who can't believe Nokia would release beta quality software with bugs in.
Do you (and Texrat) reckon that the above-mentioned "disadvantage" outweighs the potential advantages?

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Berkshire, UK
This has to be the least seamless update I've done yet on my N800. Failed update, reboot loop, battery out, reflash, two further updates, reinstall packages.

Not good.

Couple of data points on my N800 install yesterday. Hope it's useful because this is my first experience with either Chinook or Diablo, it was as vanilla as possible and might help explain the 24 hour theory on SSUs.

Yesterday I finally decided to flash to Diablo. I had been waiting for a downloadable update from 23-14. When that didn't come, I decided to go for it anyway. Started about noon.

First attempt interrupted a couple of seconds in and got into an infinite boot loop. I panicked but pulled the battery and was able to go back into the flashing boot state. Next attempt worked fine.

First thing I did was update the catalogs. It immediately found 30-2, which I accepted. Checked a few things and went about reinstalling apps. All normal repositories -- no Chinook.

Everything installed fine, except I couldn't update Python nor install Canola. Camera automatically fired off internet chat and rotated properly.

About 15 minutes in, I got the flashing I telling me another update was available. I had no idea that it existed. Went to 36-5. That went OK except it didn't auto start after the reboot shutdown. Had to hit the power button myself.

Still fine. Then I installed Maemo Mapper from Chinook Extras. No problem.

I still can't update Python nor install Canola. Maemo Mapper was working fine but it locked up on me once and I had to pull the battery.

In limited testing the only thing 36-5 appears to have broken is Camera. It works, but popping it out no longer starts internet chat and it doesn't auto-rotate anymore. The camera thing is weird because others in this thread have said it fixed theirs. Hope the next SSU fixes it for me.

Last edited by cecil; 2008-09-30 at 14:08.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Do you (and Texrat) reckon that the above-mentioned "disadvantage" outweighs the potential advantages?
It seems to have so far.

Some people want early releases, but then they want to flame Nokia over issues with those releases rather than contribute productively toward resolutions. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. You don't want any more of my opinion on that subject.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
No problems with this latest upgrade. Had problems with the first SSU when it was released.
N800

Originally Posted by wa2vla View Post
I did an update this morning and all seemed to go well, however when I check the "About Product" in the "Control Panel" it reports back as version 4.2008.30-2.! It appeared to do the update, created all the manuals in various languages and put new apps on the desktop. Anyone else seeing this?
I boot from SD and the update never showed up in my Application Manager. I did an app-get upgrade as root and the upgrade appeared to run ok, but I had to reboot manually. The dual boot menu was still there, so I booted back into SD. The version was still showing 4.2008.30-2 but, as wa2vla described, all the other changes were there. I then booted to flash memory and did the upgrade there (which was showing in the app manager). It rebooted to flash and the version was the new one. I reflashed fanoush's new initfs and booted to SD. Now the SD version was updated to 4.2008.36-5.

So I assume the SD is really running the new version???
Why didn't it update the SD version # until after I upgraded the flash version?
Why didn't the upgrade ever show up in the Application Manager when booted to SD?
PC #1 - HP dv2000 Laptop - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #2 - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #3 - Ubuntu 8.04/Windoze XP dual boot
Nokia N800 internet tablet - OS2008 Diablo dual boot to SD - 4gb internal + 2gb external SD cards

Last edited by possessedskier; 2008-09-30 at 14:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to possessedskier For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Yeah. The point is that SSU will work fine for the typical consumer, which is where this sort of thing is targetted.
Please, keep this in mind when you're going to (heavily) modify your tablet. You install unofficial software not supported by Nokia. This is even mentioned in the disclaimer.

And my tablet is hardly modified (right now after freshflash ).

But I have a problem in MicroB. I wanted to see what Gecko version the new MicroB has (answer: 20080828) and went to http://mybrowserinfo.com and then I wanted to select the browser string by selecting it with stylus. Doesn't work. I can't seem to select text. Ctrl+A does work though, but then it selects all text.

Had no problems with the update, nothing special done to my tablet though. Still getting browser unsupported messages which is disappointing.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post

I blame Google humanity.
And people who provide a package like sliderotate have to be encouraged to state the disadvantages in relation to SSU, and provide an easy way to fix the problem. Last SSU we also saw in threads people with the very same issue... why now again? Something is wrong in the communication process!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
diablo, os2008, ssu, upgrade