Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by prk60091 View Post
the system works best when you first fire up agps while you have a connection to the internet - it downloads the satellite info in the background
then CLOSE AGPS
then open map or maemomapper - you will get a w/i a minute
Though there is sketchy info on AGPS it's my understanding that once you fire it off it runs in the background until the next reboot. Is this true?
PLEASE use the Wiki

You have to start the AGPS-ui, select a location, then close the app (if you don't close it before starting the GPS up, the data won't be downloaded). Afaik, when you have a net connecting and some time has elapsed since the last update, new data will be downloaded automatically (i.e. by supld).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
There is something that can help. Install "agps-ui". When you run it you have the opportunity to mark your general location on a world map. This helps because your GPS will now only try to connect satellites that can be seen from your location. It works for me but it still takes longer than many stand alone GPSs do. Make sure that in the control panel you've enabled GPS. If you wish you can purchase a bluetooth GPS receiver which has no display and pair with it.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Afaik, when you have a net connecting and some time has elapsed since the last update, new data will be downloaded automatically (i.e. by supld).
That's something I didn't know. So if my tablet is just sitting idle but connected, I don't have to run agps-ui when I head out, as it should have updated automatically at some recent point. Any idea of the frequency? Is there a log of this anywhere? Not that I can see, anyway. TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

That's my understanding anyway; not sure quite how to see if it's worked, except to look at the modification date of nvd_data perhaps? I also don't know if it updates its data from the last known fix position, though I guess it should do. Open source please!

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
That's my understanding anyway; not sure quite how to see if it's worked, except to look at the modification date of nvd_data perhaps?
I just checked my nvd_data file & it was modified about 5 hours ago, which would have been when I got to work this morning & shut MM down. The tablet has had a net connection all that time. I then started agps-ui & shut it down, but the time stamp hasn't changed.

I also don't know if it updates its data from the last known fix position, though I guess it should do. Open source please!
That was my assumption too, although I haven't been more than 300km away from home since getting my N810 to see if the ui shows any difference. TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Tags
gps agps