Active Topics

I want a non-folding, compact keyboard with a normal layout. There doesn't seem to be much out there fitting this description. A fairly inexpensive option that does is this Solidtek supermini keyboard (model number: KB-3152B-BT):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B0017K2CZS/

I'm planning on using it with a Nokia n810. Anyone tried it? Is there a good reason to expect that it might have issues or be difficult to get working?

i found this interesting on the amazon site....

"# Product Dimensions: 3 pounds
# Shipping Weight: 23 pounds"

Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
i found this interesting on the amazon site....

"# Product Dimensions: 3 pounds
# Shipping Weight: 23 pounds"
Yeah, I also noticed that. Here's a slightly different model that is listed as 4/36:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017JY7VQ/

I'm thinking the problem may be due to a missing decimal point. Perhaps the original specs were European-style (i.e. using a ',' instead of '.') and it got dropped when amazon filtered the input.

Note: these models are also available on Newegg (though one has a different model number).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823111046
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823111045

Sadly, no reviews there, either.

Have you looked at the Apple Wireless Keyboard, the aluminum one? It is very slick and and it works with the tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to D'ohboy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by D'ohboy View Post
Have you looked at the Apple Wireless Keyboard, the aluminum one?
Um, does it come in black?
*ducks*

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by carputerguy View Post
Um, does it come in black?
*ducks*
I guess not. If you search the forum then you'll find a whole thread about the Apple bluetooth keyboard, even with pictures. Colorwise it combines well with N800 (no idea about N810).

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
The Apple one is like 10" or 11" long. The first one mentioned here is, I think, only 9" long. But I may be the only one who cares about that (my collosus bag from maxpedition is 9" deep).

If anyone gets the first one mentioned, can you confirm the dimensions for me? While I love my iGo stowaway, I definitely see the need/love for a real keyboard layout.

I got the keyboard mentioned in my first post (from Amazon, via that specific page). The dimensions are approx. 8.75" x 4.125", as measured by me. I measured the key pitch (width of key + gap before next one) at ~16.8 mm, while a generic desktop keyboard I had handy was about 19 mm. The biggest difference in key size is spacing between rows, which seems about 2/3rds of a full size keyboard. The key feel is unremarkable - somewhat like a typical laptop keyboard, though travel may be slightly less.

Here are the specs on the package:
keys: 77
Key pitch: 16.8 mm (I didn't even see this, when I took my measurement!)
Peak force: 55 +/- 15 g (is it common for mfgs to even report this?)
Switch travel: 1.6 +/- 0.5 mm
Switch reliability: 5 million cycles
Switch type: membrane
Dimensions 222 mm x 103 mm x 21 mm
Protocol: Bluetooth v2.0 EDR
Profile: HID
Frequency: 2.4 - 2.4835 GHz ISM Band;
79 channel frequency hopping
Output Power: 0 dBm (class 2)
Sensitivity: -76 dBm (typical)
Modulation: FHSK
Max distance: 10 m
Battery: 2x AAA (included)

The package highlights:
* scissor keycap design
* silent & comfortable, due to even resistance at
all points on keycap
* reduced finger pressure
* reduced wrist travel, due to close row spacing
* "multi-lingual available" (not sure what they mean by that)
* BT connect button
* LED indication for: pairing, connecting, and low battery
* power switch (recessed on bottom)

In all, some of the most comprehensive specs I've seen on a product! Had I seen it in a store, I'd probably be compelled to buy it on that basis, alone! Unfortunately, they list neither weight, nor battery life/power consumption.

An important point: the package calls it the "ASK-3152". Nowhere on the packaging or manual does it say solidtek. In fact, the only mention I found of solidtek is "(solidtek USA)" on the label attached to the bottom of the keyboard. FYI, the FCC ID is RAC3152A01.

Amazon lists another, similar-looking solidtek keyboard which appears to be slightly larger (it has more bezel, anyhow).

Unfortunately, I've not yet gotten a chance to try it with my n810. I'll post as soon as I do!

Originally Posted by carputerguy View Post
Peak force: 55 +/- 15 g (is it common for mfgs to even report this?)
Ha! I just noticed they specified this in grams, instead of Newtons.

Also worth noting: the manual specifies the connection LED blinks while re-establishing the connection upon exiting sleep mode (which it enters after 3 min of inactivity). I think this is a nice touch, since I've seen complaints from users of other keyboards about having to find out, by trial-and-error, when the keyboard has woken up & reconnected.

BTW, the manual seems decent, though it does contain a fair bit of Engrish. It also seems like it applies to multiple models, since it doesn't mention any model numbers and part of it mentions a touchpad (which this model obviously lacks).

Oh, and the manual specifies the low battery indicator comes on at 2.4 V. Again, I just appreciate that level of detail.

The Following User Says Thank You to carputerguy For This Useful Post: