Active Topics

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Hello, I am trying to find actual technical specs and info on the processor in my n800. the nokai n series site does not seem to give detail on it. is it OMAP? this one?

http://focus.ti.com/paramsearch/docs...ramCriteria=no

if so, i am looking to find info on a comparision between this and the atom centrino.

Last edited by darkog; 2008-09-04 at 17:37.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
There's no comparison between them. ARM has nothing to do with x86.

On the actual processor - check aunt Wiki or search here.

thanks. so my stupid question is.

is OMAP ARM? is ARM RISC? can i goof around with AIX stuff on this?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

processor is OMAP 2420. Or actually it is System on Chip which includes almost everything you need for a computer

thanks. i guess my real question is, since i see that there is a spectrum emulator for the maemo, is there an AIX emulator as well?

I'm not sure what you want AIX for, but a brief look at the Wikipedia article indicates that, in addition to version (v3) that ran natively on PowerPC systems I knew of, AIXv2 has run on ROMP, 386, and s/370 (& s/390) using a microkernel -- it'd be necessary to emulate the processor and entire system, or to emulate the software and provide a compatibility layer in place of the microkernel (which handled all I/O), which might get better performance.

The easiest option is probably using pearpc to run AIXv3, but it won't go very well at all.

Do you have some specific AIX binaries you need to run, or what? You've already got a UNIX, so "emulating AIX" is nearly taken care of; you'd need the source to port any programs to AIX on ARM, too.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I'm boggling over this thread. If you're considering running AIX natively on the Nokia N8x0's CPU, I don't see that happening. AIX was never compiled for ARM. AIX was always aimed at servers, and being closed-source, has no hope of anyone compiling the kernel for ARM.

fair enough. thanks for the responses. i just was interested if there was the possiblity of running AIX stuff on a N800/maemo.

as to the comment of, "well, whats the point when you already have a UNIX"? Well, we could ask the same question of whats the point of a dinky PalmOS or ZX Spectrum emulator when you already have such a much more powerful device with better graphics anyways. because it's FOSS and we can play and tinker to our hearts desire.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Well, and then there's always the fact that sometimes there are closed apps for those other OS's that you would like to carry along into the OS you're currently using.

I'm not saying I don't understand why you would want to.. it just boggles my mind to imagine someone trying to make it happen.