Active Topics

wow! I almost gave up my N770. Just to have it as a collection item ! But after installing the kernel into the flash, the N770 is very responsive, very snappy!

The Following User Says Thank You to emily12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by emily12 View Post
wow! I almost gave up my N770. Just to have it as a collection item ! But after installing the kernel into the flash, the N770 is very responsive, very snappy!
?

bun
bun

We were looking for RS-MMC, it is selling at ebay for less than $10 shipped. I hope they will actually ship.........
http://shop.ebay.com/items/__rs-mmc_...d=p3286.c0.m14

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
./clone.sh

and wait.......; time to finish, with 48 Mhz kernel, 6.5 minute; without 48 Mhz kernel, 48 min.
Reboot and to add 64 MB swap file, with 48 Mhz kernel takes 7 min to make the 64 MB swap file; without 48 Mhz kernel, it takes 13 min to make the 64 MB swap file.

End product: a 770 running chinook+48Mhz on internal flash and MMC boot with chinook+48 Mhz and with over 300 MB for app installation.

I found it Easier to install wget and use ssh to do this scripting.

Until the above when I ran out of space and boot loops.....

maybe tomorrow we will get somewhere. I can access the 8 GB card so this is a start.

HA - Still Easier than a black screen on the desktop and only a slow laptop to view the solution like when I started 3.5 yrs ago with Kubuntu....

Originally Posted by BoredOOMM View Post
...HA - Still Easier than a black screen on the desktop and only a slow laptop to view the solution like when I started 3.5 yrs ago with Kubuntu....
./clone.sh

The cloning process keeps on writing to the screen for most part of it, as a matter fact, I use to do this manually, and the screen output is exactly the same as if one is doing manually, no difference.

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
./clone.sh

The cloning process keeps on writing to the screen for most part of it, as a matter fact, I use to do this manually, and the screen output is exactly the same as if one is doing manually, no difference.

bun
So you don't think it was borked when I ran out of space?

bun, do you have KDE on your card or only 2007HE and 2008HE?

Originally Posted by BoredOOMM View Post
So you don't think it was borked when I ran out of space?

bun, do you have KDE on your card or only 2007HE and 2008HE?
Just repeat the cloning process, and see how it goes. Repeat partition/cloning can take care of problems generated from cloning.

No. I do not have KDE on my 770. I need to get some RS-mmc 1st. I only have 2007He and 2008He.

bun

This guide is completely awesome. I used to speed up my tablet and a friend's, and it works beautifully. It's like I have a new tablet, and I didn't spend a dime. Those repos are full of good stuff, too.

The only things I did differently were these (hopefully they'll help someone out):

1) Make sure to delete all the images and sounds that come by default with the 2008HE image. That freed up enough space for me to complete the guide.
2) I used the desktop flasher tool to test and flash the 48mhz kernel instead of downloading the kernel and a flasher tool to my tablet, as described by Fanoush at the end of the section "Support for higher MMC 4.1 bus speeds for Nokia 770 (outdated, see SDHC kernel below)." I just found that to be more convenient.

Thanks again for the guide.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geoff For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geoff View Post
This guide is completely awesome. I used to speed up my tablet and a friend's, and it works beautifully. It's like I have a new tablet, and I didn't spend a dime. Those repos are full of good stuff, too.

The only things I did differently were these (hopefully they'll help someone out):

1) Make sure to delete all the images and sounds that come by default with the 2008HE image. That freed up enough space for me to complete the guide.
2) I used the desktop flasher tool to test and flash the 48mhz kernel instead of downloading the kernel and a flasher tool to my tablet, as described by Fanoush at the end of the section "Support for higher MMC 4.1 bus speeds for Nokia 770 (outdated, see SDHC kernel below)." I just found that to be more convenient.

Thanks again for the guide.
emelFM2 works like a charm for removing the hidden files.

Are you using Flasher 2.0 and command line or are you using the Nokia tool in windows to flash the High-speed kernel?

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
This is done on 770.

This is my INTERNAL.txt file for a 1 G RS-MMC
" FAT 300
SWAP 128
1 ext2
TIMEOUT 10"

This should generate a ext2 600 MB and Fat 300 MB and SWAP file.

to add 64 MB swap file, with 48 Mhz kernel takes 7 min to make the 64 MB swap file; without 48 Mhz kernel, it takes 13 min to make the 64 MB swap file.
What does df (linux command) say?

Does paragraph 2 create /dev/shm swap partition?

Does paragraph 4 create .swap file?
(look in FAT partition, I believe)

Which one gets used by the OS?

Thanks!