Active Topics

Originally Posted by Oculog View Post

I'm very unhappy with the beta email app. The previous app was solid and seemed just as fast. I don't understand the switch.
Yep. I trashed Modest and use claws-mail instead. This is working and I have not much trust that the beta-sw from Nokia is improving soon.

The old mailer was simple, but worked. Sigh...

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Originally Posted by heavyt
What does xserver-xomap with rotation has to do with rtcom-beta-os2008
Nothing He was answering to you and then to me in the same post.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Easy fix (copy this):

Was set already when I got that result.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Hm.

My N800 did not reboot, although the installer said it would. I rebooted manually and found that the update had reactivated the metalayer-b*st*rd.

What improvements am I supposed to see now? I don't find any particular speed improvements in either the O/S or the web browser. The only thing I did notice is that the (horribly misnamed) handwriting recognition seems to have become even more user-hostile; it now randomly decides to wipe the input area clear and dump letters (or other characters) at the cursor position. I wouldn't call that an improvement, unless "randomly aggravating HWR users" is a business goal at Nokia's Internet Tablet division (this would not terribly surprize me if that were actually the case).

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Hm.

My N800 did not reboot, although the installer said it would. I rebooted manually and found that the update had reactivated the metalayer-b*st*rd.

What improvements am I supposed to see now? I don't find any particular speed improvements in either the O/S or the web browser. The only thing I did notice is that the (horribly misnamed) handwriting recognition seems to have become even more user-hostile; it now randomly decides to wipe the input area clear and dump letters (or other characters) at the cursor position. I wouldn't call that an improvement, unless "randomly aggravating HWR users" is a business goal at Nokia's Internet Tablet division (this would not terribly surprize me if that were actually the case).
i had to remove the battery after my n800 "rebooted" to get it back on. it was cool effect though when it shutted down

when i got it on, there was a prompt "installation succesful" and everything works as before. I'm not using that handwriting regognition because it allready was pretty bad or my handwriting just isn't very constant

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico
Thread here (same topic)

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22733

(BTW: Mail is working fine... retrieves mails... no "internal issue" and no heating up... until now (30 minutes from install)) I'll post on the other thread

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico
Originally Posted by Oculog View Post
Easy update, but now my Modest email problems are back. I double click to read an email and poof, the email is gone. Sometimes it will come back if I close and repoen Modest. Other times the email is gone for good.

I'm very unhappy with the beta email app. The previous app was solid and seemed just as fast. I don't understand the switch.
Are you using POP?

After the install... I have not had any more problems with the default mail app. (IMAP Google).

No more overheated back.
No more "Internal error, Mail Application closed" etc etc
retrieving mails and sending them... everything like it is supposed to be...

It would be useful if Reggie or another mod would merge/move/lock threads now and then. I know, it's not a fun thing to do, but forums grow into a mess without it.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by yegaoo View Post
No more overheated back..
?? Overheating back ??

Was this accompanied by battery drain?

Any idea of the cause?

I 've had this problem for the past couple of weeks...

I hope the update "fixed" it.

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by fms View Post
This behaviour is absolutely correct. Auto-update facility will update package lists once every 24 hours and show the orange updates icon at the same time, if any new packages have been found. The Check for Updates item in your Application Manager will show whatever updates have been found during the last auto-update run. Clicking the refresh icon will force Application Manager to update package lists ahead of schedule.
also note that it will not force a connection when that time comes (unless one opens up the app manager and enters "check for updates" or "available applications"), but will make use of the first available connection that opens after the update period have been triggered.

also, the interval is modifiable if one feel like playing around with gconf

Tags
browser, email, microb, modest, os2008, ssu, stability, update