Active Topics

Closed Thread
NVM.. didn't notice French keyboard.. I have no idea
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@Murphy: yes, xmodmap works, you can find a thread in the Debian section of these forums with English and Italian .xmodmap files, and start from those to make a French version (and publish it if you want for other francophones).

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
@Murphy: yes, xmodmap works, you can find a thread in the Debian section of these forums with English and Italian .xmodmap files, and start from those to make a French version (and publish it if you want for other francophones).
As I've mentioned above, I'm using fatalsaint's english .Xmodmap file (yes, capital X) in the latest version. You can modify that to your liking. I will be honest, since I don't have an 810, I can't test this part; I only assume it is working because it runs and it gives no errors

Originally Posted by qole View Post
As I've mentioned above, I'm using fatalsaint's english .Xmodmap file (yes, capital X) in the latest version. You can modify that to your liking. I will be honest, since I don't have an 810, I can't test this part; I only assume it is working because it runs and it gives no errors
But would someone have to re-download the image to get that?? or does the installer automatically add the lines to the IceWM startup file.. or does the scripts run Xmodmap when you launch IceWM??

If someone already has the other image, just downloads the new scripts, and run it - I don't think the Xmodmap will work without some manual work.. but correct me if I'm wrong.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
But would someone have to re-download the image to get that?? or does the installer automatically add the lines to the IceWM startup file.. or does the scripts run Xmodmap when you launch IceWM??

If someone already has the other image, just downloads the new scripts, and run it - I don't think the Xmodmap will work without some manual work.. but correct me if I'm wrong.
Since the .Xmodmap and .icewm/startup files are in the /home/user directory, not in the image file, they are no problem to update. Like I said, I would need someone with an English-keyboard N810 to test things to make sure they work beyond simply not giving any errors

I keep forgetting that dang home drive thing. I don't do this so it's hard for me to keep track.

I'm quite sure it works as long as the startup file is there; and has "#!/bin/sh" at the top of it... worked for me every time.. even in chroot. I think his problem is probably the different keyboard then.. I don't know what keyboard a "french n810" has.. whether it's azerty, qwerty, or any other odd erty .

It's not just a translation problem, the FN key didn't do anything!
a => a
FN+a => a

I tried this :
sudo gainroot
mv /debian/usr/share/X11/xkb /debian/usr/share/X11/xkb.bak
cp -R /usr/share/X11/xkb /debian/usr/share/X11/
and it works like an english keybord
EDIT: (there was no /debian/usr/share/X11/xkb !)

I'm now trying to find some signs that are on my keyboard (ê, ç, µ, §).
Any idea where to find correspondance ?

PS: french keyboard is azerty

Last edited by murphy; 2008-08-06 at 16:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to murphy For This Useful Post:
Wow.. so Apparantly that fix works for more than just the odd keyboard behavior I had.. I shall update my original post to include it if experiencing difficulties..

Thanks murphy! I'm glad that someone with an N810 using the chroot image was able to tell me what was missing... That xkb copy is another cool bit to add to the next version!

I've finished my french .Xmodmap-debian and keyboard works even better than in OS2008
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...5&postcount=32

The Following User Says Thank You to murphy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete