Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ VA, USA
I ordered my n800 from best buy, only because I had a $200 gift card... and it's been on backorder for over 5 weeks. They aren't even expecting to get any in stock until august 18'th......... So yeah, I'm a little ticked off. And just a warning to anyone not smart enough to figure it out yourselves, don't get an n800 from best buy. It was overpriced anyways. I had to pay $300 for it

Can you cancel the order and get an N810 instead?

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Davis, CA
I'm in the same boat. How did you get that August 18th figure? I haven't been able to get any hard data as to when they expect it to ship.

Any idea why Best Buy is so backordered?

Originally Posted by Mkster View Post
I'm in the same boat. How did you get that August 18th figure? I haven't been able to get any hard data as to when they expect it to ship.

Any idea why Best Buy is so backordered?

n800s are getting hard to find period. I think maybe Nokia quit making them in order to get ready for the next iteration. Try changing the order to an n810.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

The Following User Says Thank You to combatdoc For This Useful Post:
I ordered the N800 from Best Buy specifically because I wanted its feature set over that of the N810, and because the cost / feature ratio is better for the N800 than the N810. As such, changing the order is not an option. I was also making use of a gift card, which is why I bought it from Best Buy knowing they had a (supposed) 1-2 week ship time, and knowing that there were other places which offered the N800 in stock and at a better price.

So, now I'm waiting to be told it's shipping. Aug. 18, if it's a real date, isn't too long to wait.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I managed to get a new N800 from uBid.com (appears to have been manufactured in April of 2008). Came in the mail just today (ordered it just a couple of days ago and got here by 2nd Day over FedEx). I feel lucky--it was one of the only four that they had in stock and I was the first one to put in a claim and they were all snapped up pretty quickly. I was tempted to snap up all four and sell the other three... heh.

They ARE getting impossibly hard to find and I know coworkers who WANT one (and, like me, they're not as interested in the N810).

I'm getting rid of my old one because the kickstand is broken and Nokia is being a pain in the arse about getting replacement parts. I ordered up pretty nice looking case that doesn't allow the kickstand to come out but has its OWN tent-stand (so the kickstand is moot) and I'm going to give it to my sister in Arizona (I'm in Massachusetts). She's been wanting something even more portable than a laptop to do impromptu browsing to look things up and so on... plus she wants to try Linux on her laptop but it's SO incompatible with Linux (F*** you, MS, and your monopolistic tactics with APIC). I'm guessing this might not be a bad start--plus she can video call me over Gizmo with it at home or out and about--plus MP3's--plus podcasts--plus her news feeds--plus eh whatever she wants.

Anyway... keep looking out--they're out there.. but I agree, it's getting really, really, REALLY hard to find them brand new anymore. I'm not pleased by that. Hopefully the N900 will be so convincingly good but still relatively affordable (~$400 is a sweet spot) that I won't care anymore. Here's hoping.

I just talked to BestBuy again... they tell me they expect the product to ship between 8/18 and 8/29, and that they're waiting for Nokia to ship the product to them.

Here's hoping that actually happens.

I've tried scouring the net, to see if anyone has any news as to whether or not Nokia is having problems shipping N800s. Does anyone have any more information on that?

I had found the one I just bought by repeatedly using google's shopping search (http://www.google.com/products) and I scoured each store until I found uBid.com actually had four in stock. I supposed that I would just keep checking every day.

It would be really nice if Nokia gave us more notice about problems or if they're holding off production to prioritize elsewhere or something. At least then you'd know whether or not to really look around during some period of time.

Why not look on ebay? I just bought an opened, unused (not a store demo) N800 for $150 shipped. The only things it was missing was the 128 miniSD card..meh, wasnt going to use that anyways. I can also purchase a Square trade warranty for 2 years for $25 to cover it if it fails.

if you had a Best Buy gift card, you dont have to buy from best Buy, You can always sell the Best Buy Card on ebay and use the money anywhere you want. You may lose $50 or so on the card but you are not stuck paying Best Buy's overpriced electronics.

this prolly wont help you now but it may help someone else in this situation..any criticism of my idea is welcome as well....

Originally Posted by mountainfrog View Post
Why not look on ebay? I just bought an opened, unused (not a store demo) N800 for $150 shipped. The only things it was missing was the 128 miniSD card..meh, wasnt going to use that anyways.
That's not a bad idea.. except that I've increasingly distrusted eBay every time they've made changes and I really don't much trust them anymore after their latest changes. (It seems to me that there is way too much scamming going on--even from eBay itself with their forceful PayPal tie-in.) I'm not trying to say that everybody on eBay is a scammer -- but it appears to me that the chances of being screwed have been elevated greatly for both buyers and sellers in recent years and this year's changes seemed especially bad so I tend to avoid it now. I do miss the old eBay.

Regardless.. it would be a whole lot nicer to see actual stock sold in some familiar retailers.