Active Topics

I walked into my local CompUSA tonight andlo and behold they had an actual working n800 on display alongside the PalmOS, Hp PDA, and Nuvi GPS's. Unfortunately, the desktop was all sorts of messed up and a shutdown/power on didn't help it.

It was shifted right with all kinds of empty dialogs open as though someone decided to play with updates and messed it up.

It was still running OS2007 too from the default desktop I saw.

Anyway, thought it was interesting to actually see one on display and not just in the catalog.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Seattle
was it the same price as online?

Here in the UK N800s have been on display in PC World stores since about the time the N810 first came out (yeah, that doesn't make sense, does it?). The poor things look like similar touchscreen devices such as the Nintendo DS, with giant scuff marks and scratches all over the display.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
I haven't seen a real working demo gadget in a long time now. Seems like everywhere I go they either have a hollow plastic shell that represents the size/shape of the gizmo, OR they have the real device, sans battery with a plastic "screenshot" taped over the LCD screen. Wee!

No better way to convince me to buy a phone/PDA/Device than by showing me a children's toy that looks exactly like it but has no features.

It's a shame that the N800 was running old software. Old, broken software apparently. Maybe more people would buy the demmed tablets if they were represented better.

It makes me sad

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Was in my local PC World (Sunderland UK) this afternoon, and they had a fully operational N800 on display at the bargain price of £279! Almost tempted to try their price promis against the quidco deal which works out at £105. Be fun to see tha salesman's face!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
That's how I got my N800 way back when they were first released. The MOMENT I saw an announcement that people were finding them in stores and that Nokia had quietly released them, I ran over to CompUSA and there was a demo unit and some stock. KA-CHING! I wish more stores would carry the tablets in their brick-and-mortar store.

Hell.. I wish more stores would have more Linux computers in general in their brick-and-mortar stores. Seems like this would be the right time, now that an increasing number of 'regular' consumers are looking for alternatives to Vista systems.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
That's how I got my N800 way back when they were first released. The MOMENT I saw an announcement that people were finding them in stores and that Nokia had quietly released them, I ran over to CompUSA and there was a demo unit and some stock. KA-CHING! .

Same here.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Odd, their website doesn't indicate they have the N800, or was it an N810?

I lost mine and am looking for a new one. No one seems to have them available anymore. One site (maybe buy.com?) said they were out of stock/backorder but would let you buy them $275. I don't quite trust it (although that is where I bought my first one for $195).

Maybe I'll get lucky and find one remaining in a local store (Cincinnati, OH). Better yet, on a discontinued/discount rack! Otherwise I'll watch the Buy/Sell page here.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Nokia? Are you listening? People still want the N800.. it's different fro the N810 in ways we like. In a time when the world economy is in a slump, you seem to have a surefire seller on your hands--seems like a worthwhile thing to keep producing in decent numbers.