Ok here's what happened.

I have put in a new battery from Nokia E61. The system booted from mmc without a problem. I then restarted and tried booting from flash. The message I mentioned in previous email have appeared. But then the unit booted fine from flash. I have however found those two lines in the dmesg log which are a bit worrying.

Code:
66.929687] JFFS2 warning: (1269) jffs2_sum_write_sumnode: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -108
JFFS2 notice: (401) check_node_data: wrong data CRC in data node at 0x0abcbf70: read 0x72640e4c, calculated 0x455fbce5.
looks like flash to me but I am not an expert on that. Do errors creep up in jffs2 just like in every other filesystem ? Eg if the unit was switched off by taking the battery out ?

oh, btw, it looks like the "Rescue system update" message wiped off the initfs as I am no longer presented with the boot menu but the unit boots straight from flash. Gosh it's getting creepier and creepier.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
The jffs2 errors are ok, they should be leftovers from some of the previous random resets.

If nothing else shows up, you can forget about them.

The "Rescue system update" is completely new to me.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by igor View Post
The "Rescue system update" is completely new to me.
Yes, it's apparently something SSU related for Diablo (it was mentioned a couple times on #maemo relating to browser states in recovery mode), but I've seen no real details on what it actually entails.

Ok I believe I have sorted the problem. It was after all one of the memory cards. I do not know whether one of them was damaged or simply partition table got corrupted but the N800 is running diablo with one card without a problem. As soon as I insert the second one, it starts going maaad. Very strange and very worrying and it should be noted for all those users who think that their device malfunctioned when in fact it was a memory card. Thank God for that! and thank you very much guys for your comments and suggestions. Without those I would have been without ny N800 now. Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to spirytsick For This Useful Post:
Few other revelations. For some reason my system will not boot if there are more than one partitions on each of the cards. It looks that if I have only single fat32 partition on either of the cards everything works fine. The moment I put in a card with more than one partition the hell breaks loose. Have you managed to successfully clone os to MMC for diablo ?

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yes, it's apparently something SSU related for Diablo (it was mentioned a couple times on #maemo relating to browser states in recovery mode), but I've seen no real details on what it actually entails.
I just got this yesterday.

I rebooted for the first time in forever. (Actually, my battery ran down because the charger I plugged it into wasn't actually plugged into the wall outlet).

On reboot, I got the rescue message in red. Now, my multi-boot is gone. I started to restore it, but held off until I read more.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson