Active Topics

You can see (and change) the location of the maps under Manage Repositories. Each repository has it's own database. I think the default location is /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/Maps.

Originally Posted by refortin View Post
You can see (and change) the location of the maps under Manage Repositories. Each repository has it's own database. I think the default location is /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/Maps.
I don't have my N810 in front of me. I'll look again. I only saw where I could change POI's, but I could've missed it. Thanks!

John

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by VespaM View Post
Guys, I see some of you mention downloading specific maps (e.g NJ to IND) only, how would I go about doing this?
Assuming you have the map repositories set up already in Maemo Mapper, the simplest way is to "download by area". While connected online, zoom and pan so that your area of interest is completely shown in on the screen. You can't stop *exactly* at the state boundaries but you can get reasonably close.

Go to Manage Maps and select to download maps by area in the Setup tab. Pick the zoom levels that you want to download (avoid levels 1-5 as they are very detailed and take a lot of space and also only pick every second or third one above that ... 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16. To give you an idea of reasonable detail, I have the whole world at zoom level 16, my entire province at zoom 14, my entire region at zoom 12 and my city and surrounding area at 10, 8, and 6. The area tab is already pre-filled out with the extents of your screen. Press OK.

Maemo Mapper should show a progress bar as it downloads the maps of that entire area for each zoom level. It might be best to start at zoom 10 and only get more detailed maps for specific cities. I find that zoom level 6 gives me street names for everything but the tiniest street.

The Following User Says Thank You to mwiktowy For This Useful Post:
Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the answers, but I´m almost more confused now then before

What I want (from the guys that uses MM frequently) is a step by step how you plan your tripp with MM.

Example: how you add starting point (if not use of GPS position)
How do you enter destination. Can you search street names or do you enter long/lat? (Can you do this without downloading gigs of maps to your MC)

I´ve tried the Maps app (wayfinder) 7 days tryout period.
I think it works great.
Can MM compete with this, in case of navigation?

I´ve seen a lot of MM videos on Youtube, but everyone just shows how you can zoom in satelite views and checking your GPS signal and so on (sitting by your desk).
Nobody ever shows how you atcually USE the MM like a GPS on the road. (like I want to)

Thanks for a great site
(and yes I´m a newbie to the whole NIT community )

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by henrik_6 View Post
Hi everyone.
<snip>

Example: how you add starting point (if not use of GPS position)
How do you enter destination. Can you search street names or do you enter long/lat? (Can you do this without downloading gigs of maps to your MC)
If you want routlng you have to use vector based maps with networked vectors.
I´ve tried the Maps app (wayfinder) 7 days tryout period.
I think it works great.
Can MM compete with this, in case of navigation?
No

Leave fancy routing to Google, Garmin, DeLorme, TomTom etc.
RoadMap is in a fledgling stage.

Use MM as you would use hardcopy gas station road maps. You can download satellite imagery and many POI's, track your routes incorporat Google routes.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Henrik, to keep the map download as small as possible, select only a few zoom levels, and keep the route download to 1 tile wide. You can get a very long route in a small download if you do it intelligently. If you have a long stretch on interstate, don't download high zoom levels (low zoom numbers) because you don't usually need a lot of detail for interstate driving. Get more detailed maps for your destination area, and any planned stops. I usually compromise, by getting a zoom level of 4 or 5 for the route, and no other levels. This gives a pretty detailed view, and doesn't take up a lot of room on my card. You might get a zoom level of 12 or 15 or so for the entire route, just so you can see the whole thing on one page, and that won't take up too much room. Do not get every zoom level for everywhere, or you're looking at gigabytes of storage, and you will likely never use much of it anyway.

For the start and end points, you can use an address or lat/lon, or both. I generally just put in the address. MM saves addresses, so if I want to start from home that's already in the list to be picked, and you can also choose to use your current position as the start point. If you want, you can start another route using the end point, or easily download the reverse route. I suggest installing MM and reading the help file, which is excellent and very complete. If you decide you don't like it you can always uninstall it.

Last edited by sgosnell; 2008-09-04 at 18:42.

If you have a planned trip in mind, the best strategy (in my opinion) is to first download the complete route via the "Route | Download..." menu item. You can string multiple segments together by just using the menu item multiple times. In this way, you can build an entire road trip.

Once you have the route in place, save it via "Route | Save..." to be sure you don't lose it. Then, use the "Maps | Manage Maps..." menu item in combination with the "Along Route" option to download all of the maps along that route, at whichever zoom levels you think you'll need.

If you plan on straying from the path at times (e.g. to explore a city or see the largest ball of rubber band in the world), either increase the radius when using the "Along Route" download, or download those specific areas via the "By Area" download option.

Assuming you stick to your route, you should have all the maps and directions that you need to complete your trip. If you decide to change your trip mid-way-through, however, you'll need internet access in order to download the appropriate route and/or maps.

Maemo Mapper may not be as robust as more-costly options, but with a little planning, it should have everything you need to execute a trip efficiently, easily, and without getting lost.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Hmm so I can build a custom route by using segments then.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Assuming you stick to your route, you should have all the maps and directions that you need to complete your trip. If you decide to change your trip mid-way-through, however, you'll need internet access in order to download the appropriate route and/or maps.

Maemo Mapper may not be as robust as more-costly options, but with a little planning, it should have everything you need to execute a trip efficiently, easily, and without getting lost.
Great instructions, I´l give it a try.
Just like you wrote, often you already know where your going, but you don´t know HOW to get there.
And if you have point A and point B, you don´t need the rest och the world in your NIT

Thanks again

// Henrik

LM, if you mean a route different from what Google will give you, then yes, you can break it into segments, using addresses along the way. I haven't tried to combine routes, but it might be possible. As a last resort you can keep loading routes as you go.