Active Topics

Well I just went back to Chinook as Diablo would not work on my device. It would not boot after the flash and when it did it will reboot spontaneously from time to time. Also, when I have finally managed to clone the os to the mmc (unit hanging on me prevented me from completing the process in a reasonable time). The boot menu was corrupted with an additional entry to boot from mmc2 which had N/A next to it. I have tried evertyhing, rd-mode trick, reformatting both cards (and repartitioning again). Tried to reflash probably several times. It still does not work. After reflashing back to Chinook everything is fine again. Seriously I do not know what might the problem be but it either means that my n800 is faulty or there are some n800 devices with some unique characteristics which are not compatible with Diablo. Hard to say. And yes I have used the n800 flash

md5sums below

Code:
786a0150ca29e6688b3dbcbe14bacbd1  RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.51-3_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin,
3081bf7fdf8861b541eb26936c5f9e26  RX-34_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin,
and the filesizes

Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 spiryt spiryt 141226447 2008-07-12 13:11 RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.51-3_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin,
-rw-r--r-- 1 spiryt spiryt 141697063 2008-06-26 14:56 RX-34_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin,
I am using Nokia branded DKE-2 cable for all flashing

Any ideas guys ?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Did you.try not restoring anything from backup?

Did you try without mmc cards?

yes I did try without both cards and no I haven't try to restore anything from backup. I have looked in dmesg after enabling rd-mode and it looks like sapwood server is segfaulting in each case. I did not try to get the core dumps though. In the meantime I have experimented a bit and I got it running somehow although I do not know how long it will last until it goes bonkers again. It looks like internal flash is somehow corrupted on my device. For the moment what I did is to extract rootfs from flashfile, mounted it under linux , cloned the whole os to mmc, flashed the tablet and managed to boot after several attempts, flashed Fanoush's initfs and now it's happily running from mmc.

The Following User Says Thank You to spirytsick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Did you try to flash Diablo, plain, to the internal memory, no mods, no cloning, no dual boot?

Just the FIASCO image and nothing else?

Originally Posted by igor View Post
Did you try to flash Diablo, plain, to the internal memory, no mods, no cloning, no dual boot?

Just the FIASCO image and nothing else?
Yes Igor, it does not work. Or more precisely it does not always work. The flashing itself goes ok. Then the unit reboots, it boots half way and then reboots again. At that point the next boot is either successfull or the unit goes into reboot loop and I have to take battery out for some time for the unit to work again. It is very frustrating as under chinook it does work without a problem.

What you said about the internal flash being corrupted shouldn't happen.
The fact that it works with the older OS is weird.
I would try to get the unit checked at a service point and replaced, if it still under warranty.

What you said about the internal flash being corrupted shouldn't happen.
The fact that it works with the older OS is weird.
I would try to get the unit checked at a service point and replaced, if it still under warranty.
That's what I am trying to do right now. However I have bought my N800 off the American EBay seller. The unit itself does not have warranty in EU. I will have to send it back to the US and then get it back which is a pain or as you would have put in Suomi - Vittu....and so on in a similar fashion

Originally Posted by spirytsick View Post
That's what I am trying to do right now. However I have bought my N800 off the American EBay seller. The unit itself does not have warranty in EU. I will have to send it back to the US and then get it back which is a pain or as you would have put in Suomi - Vittu....and so on in a similar fashion
Heh, I don't want to get into a pissing contest, but as italian, I find finnish swearwords not so satisfying ...

Anyway i would check the warranty with some local consumers association: it might be that you still have some rights.

Beyond that, you could try to flash the Diablo rootfs and initfs on top of the old one, after disabling lifeguard reboots.

This will use the old kernel and you probably will not be able to use the modules from the new initfs, but at least should tell you if the user space can boot.

Heh, I don't want to get into a pissing contest, but as italian, I find finnish swearwords not so satisfying ...

Anyway i would check the warranty with some local consumers association: it might be that you still have some rights.

Beyond that, you could try to flash the Diablo rootfs and initfs on top of the old one, after disabling lifeguard reboots.

This will use the old kernel and you probably will not be able to use the modules from the new initfs, but at least should tell you if the user space can boot.
Apologies, there is no more expressive language for swearwords than Italian . I will give it a try with the reflashing initfs from earlier versions. As for the local consumer groups, wish me luck.

Originally Posted by spirytsick View Post
I will give it a try with the reflashing initfs from earlier versions.
No, what i meant is:
-disable lifeguard reboots

flash:
-old bootloader
-old kernel
-new initfs
-new rootfs