Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
I believe this app makes it so you don't have to slide the lock/unlock slider. You can just use the tablet then slide it closed and the keys will lock automagically.

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

The Following User Says Thank You to josiahg777 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by josiahg777 View Post
You can just use the tablet then slide it closed and the keys will lock automagically.
But that is what the stock N810 does, if you don't use the lock/unlock slider.

Should I repeat myself? Do the following:

ONE: lock your N810. Either use the lock/unlock slider or wait long enough.

TWO: keep it locked Check: it is locked, right? Tap on the screen: nothing. Press keys: nothing. Make really, really sure it is locked

THREE: open the keyboard: tadaa!! the N810 is now unlocked Try it, just to make sure, press some keys, tap the screen, anything.

FOUR: close the keyboard. Don't touch the slider, just close the keyboard.

FIVE: your N810 is now locked! It's magic. No need to even touch the lock unlock slider! Open the keyboard: unlock, close the keyboard lock, open the keyboard: unlock, close the keyboard lock, open the keyboard: unlock, close the keyboard lock, open the keyboard: unlock, close the keyboard lock, open the keyboard: unlock, close the keyboard lock, open the keyboard: unlock, close the keyboard lock... etc. You may want to tap a rhythm of your choice when doing the open/close.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
You are totally missing it... You are correct that if you open your keyboard the N810 unlocks and that if you close the keyboard again WITHOUT pressing any of the keys or launching an app the unit will relock.

However this app - SlideLock - will lock the unit even if you've pressed keys and lanched an app and really used the tablet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
Thanks. This app is very useful.
I saw AutoLock, but light sensor is a bit too unpredictable for me.

EDIT:
To make the most of this app, I also installed moredimmingoptions. Setting dimming or turning off screen timeout a bit higher doesn't hurt since I just close the keyboard when I'm done... and 2 minutes isn't always enough.

Last edited by Dmitri; 2008-07-08 at 13:22.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Jgallen23, it could be useful to change the cpu speed policy depending on the slide state. See http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...73&postcount=5 which seems to work fine, at least according to my perceptions. Thanks

EDIT: I did it - see http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...8&postcount=10

Last edited by debernardis; 2008-10-08 at 07:28.

This app is extremely useful.

Just in case anyone else gets the same error installing from latest maemo (when I tried to install it told me it couldn't due to python2.5 runtime not being installed), I couldn't find a package named python2.5-runtime in the application manager but after clicking on Utilities -> X Terminal and typing: root and then: apt-get install python2.5-runtime it installed and now I could install slidelock (you need to install rootsh from the application manager to do this).

I found this post via google, as this isn't in the maemo.org downloads section it would be great to add it there - or even better if it were in extras so that we could just install it from the application manager.

Also, I think it would be great if we had this by default in maemo and could just enable or disable the function in the control panel so that we don't have to uninstall or reinstall the program if we want to change the setting.

Just saw this and installed. Great App! I almost always open the slider when using my n810 and this works perfectly. Thanks.

jgallen thank you VERY much for that app!!! I found it so annoying I had to use that button every time to lock it, thank you very much!

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by seth View Post
Just in case anyone else gets the same error installing from latest maemo (when I tried to install it told me it couldn't due to python2.5 runtime not being installed), I couldn't find a package named python2.5-runtime in the application manager but after clicking on Utilities -> X Terminal and typing: root and then: apt-get install python2.5-runtime it installed and now I could install slidelock (you need to install rootsh from the application manager to do this).
For me I already had python2.5-runtime installed but I still had to drop to the command line & use 'sudo dpkg -i slidelock.deb' to install. Otherwise, great app! Love it! TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

I just use a shortcut on my desktop to automatically lock my tablet. It works great and I don't need to touch the button.