Hello chaps,

I'm new to this forum and would like some help. I have identified what I have seen others having problems with and was wondering if anyone had solved it (as I'm currently having the same problems).

Background: Purchased a N810, upgraded to latest firmware (yesterday, so yep its the latest). Wanted to install skype, etc:

So basically what happens is:

When trying to refresh the applications list we get the following error.

E:Failed to fetch ... etc (which ever repo)

This actually results in the device seemingly being stuck on the now infamous "Downloading 1kb" message with download status bar.

After going through all the repos and disabling the ones that might not be needed I have noticed that this happens with any and all catalogues that might want to be used.

Upon further inspection the log also shows timeout messages with the following code:

E: Failed to fetch ... Could not connecto to catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com:80(1.0.0.0), connection timed out

Again this happens with every repo I try to use and then obviously results in the stat source failing for said catalogue.

Log suggest that apt-get is run. Though I was wondering if theres another way. Any ideas, or has anyone come across this and fixed it?

Updated info.

I installed easyroot. ran apt-get update under root and think I have uncovered the root of the problem. The problem that is, not the solution .

Could not connect to catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com:80 (1.0.0.0), connection timed out.

This is the same error that was showing up in the application manager logs and would suggest that either there is a problem with my connection settings or that of the catalogues. I am using a wireless connection, which seems to be in full working order, web browsing etc all work fine.

Any ideas why I'm unable to connect to these repos?

Cheers

One more update.

Problem solved!

Here is the problem. If you are using any ISP that has specific DNS settings you will need to enter these settings into the connection instead of checking "automatically obtain DNS".

It seems the browser handles the connection slightly differently to the application manager.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
there are times that when i refresh the app list that one (or more) catalogs are having an issue , i just usually have to do it a couple times and eventually everything refreshes as it should. not sure if this is your first tablet , but in case it is then you should know some of the repositories have less than piss-poor reliability... in fact , i and some others have postulated that they are hosted on tablets themselves LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
I was having this problem (downloading 1kb) on the internet connection I am using, however I am on a 770 with 2008HE. This doesn't like having manual DNS settings entered into the Connection dialog (it always fails to connect). Instead you have to connect to the Access Point as normal then enter the DNS settings manually into /etc/resolv.conf via xterm and root.
i.e. if you wanted to add the OpenDNS settings:

echo nameserver 208.67.222.222 > /etc/resolv.conf

Just thought I'd add this here in case anyone else using 2008HE gets this problem, or wants to add manual DNS settings.

The Following User Says Thank You to Atarii For This Useful Post: