Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Dont try to fix it, just reinstall.

install-tools will only install if 1 sd card is inserted
virtual memory must be off
deb must be saved and run from flash location.

other than that,

install
reboot (if failed or not)
if not working
install
reboot (if failed or not)
if not working
install
reboot

I know it seems stupid, but its just kind of the way if works. If it has already been run once and the partitions were saved it usually will install the next time. sometime it takes three, but I have heard people say 5 or 6 time before it worked.
I got my PC to recognize it as 1 4gb SD by reformating the SD with Panasonic's SDFormatter V2.0.0.3

Back to install-tools then

Thanks for your advice, "Compadre Penguinbait"

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
hey el amir...it does take more than 1 try to get it....took me 3...

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by joepagiii View Post
hey el amir...it does take more than 1 try to get it....took me 3...
I guess so... but I was kind of worried it didn't work for me straight away as it only took me once the 1st time I did it
anyways, thanks for the heads up!!!

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by El Amir View Post
I guess so... but I was kind of worried it didn't work for me straight away as it only took me once the 1st time I did it
anyways, thanks for the heads up!!!
Yeah it just does not act consistently. Sometimes after the partition creation the system does not re-read the SD partition properly. Then the only way to fix it is to reboot and try again.

I have all kingston cards, and they only seem to have problems about 20% of the time.

Sometimes ejecting the card then re-inserting it and rerunning can work also, but I recommend rebooting after each run
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
All this is great news!

I'm going to pick up a spare 8GB card.

PB, please tell me if this makes sense:

1) install Diablo.
2) run your tool to regenerate the bootmenu.

I then have an n810 that can boot to Diablo (from flash) or Chinook (from mmc1)

3) Put the spare SD in.
4) Clone

I then have Diablo on the spare mmc1. This lets me test Diablo; if I need to, I can revert to Chinook by swapping SD. My flash remains my "safe boot in case I brick my other parts".

Somehow, I also need to fit KDE and the full maemo sdk into this - I need to be able to compile stuff.

?

Steve

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by stevecrye View Post
All this is great news!

I'm going to pick up a spare 8GB card.

PB, please tell me if this makes sense:

1) install Diablo.
2) run your tool to regenerate the bootmenu.

I then have an n810 that can boot to Diablo (from flash) or Chinook (from mmc1)

3) Put the spare SD in.
4) Clone

I then have Diablo on the spare mmc1. This lets me test Diablo; if I need to, I can revert to Chinook by swapping SD. My flash remains my "safe boot in case I brick my other parts".

Somehow, I also need to fit KDE and the full maemo sdk into this - I need to be able to compile stuff.

?

Steve
you are dead on!! I dont think you can put the sdk on the device and compile though, unless someting has changed and I missed it?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
From PB:
I dont think you can put the sdk on the device and compile though, unless someting has changed and I missed it?
I'm probably confused...

From tz1
There is no way to run scratchbox on the n810, but you can install the entire development toolchain. You might want to start with KDE (also consider an n800 with 16Gb SD card).

There should be pointers around the fora, but there are complete native toolchains for the tablets. I haven't gotten around to installing them.
I thought that perhaps 'native toolchain' + KDE = ability to compile. I guess it all depends on getting all the required libs and other elements running on my n810.

I have another silly question, though, that is probably answered somewhere but I have not looked. Is Diablo still known as OS2008? Will OS2008 'chinook' apps run under Diablo?

Thanks,

Steve

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
yep steve...you have to tinker with the repos...add chinook then diablo...my tablet isnt here atm..

I've been reading the maemo sdk docs http://maemo.org/maemo_release_docum...on/maemo4.1.x/
and spotted something *very* cool that will allow me to run scratchbox on any of my Windoze computers - an Xbuntu vmware image with everything one needs, all ready to go!

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=277

buwaaa-ha-haaa!

Steve

@penguinbait;

I installed Diablo today, spent a few hours getting all my apps and customizations installed (Gnumeric was the only one that I could not get working). Then it was time to put the bootmenu back, so I could boot between diablo on flash and chinook on SD.

I went to your site and downloaded bootmenu-installer 1.0.0-2. But, it fails to run, here is some of the log:

hildon-application-manager 2.1.16
/usr/bin/dpkg-deb -f '/home/user/MyDocs/PB/bootmenu-installer.deb'
/usr/bin/dpkg --install '/home/user/MyDocs/PB/bootmenu-installer.deb'
(Reading database ... 16590 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking bootmenu-installer (from .../PB/bootmenu-installer.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /home/user/MyDocs/PB/bootmenu-installer.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/root/install-tools.tgz', which is also in package install-tools-n810e
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/user/MyDocs/PB/bootmenu-installer.deb
apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: matchbox-window-manager 2:1.2-osso18
apt-worker: /var/lib/apt/lists/repostory.maemo.org_dists_chinook_free_binary-armel_Packages
apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: libpopt0 1.7-6
apt-worker: /var/lib/apt/lists/repostory.maemo.org_dists_chinook_free_binary
It looks like this is the chinook version. I looked again on your site, but can't find the diablo version.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by stevecrye; 2008-06-29 at 05:46.

Tags
deprecated