Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by grog View Post
[...snip...]
But that leads me to finding other problems, however . It seems that roadmap is only set up to find locations based on US cities? After grabbing the ND database I was able to find a street in Grand Forks (100 Demers Ave), but it cannot find a local (for me) address (100 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB). I get the error 'No city with that name could be found'. Anyone have an idea what's the deal? TX
I just stumbled back across this post which states that this should be working for Tiger maps. Not for me . And while I don't get a seg-fault as this poster does, I find that trying to find an intersection is not only not working, is kind of strange. The prompt asks for the street names & State only. Shouldn't it be asking for City & State? TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Roadmap needs this file in the roadmaps folder, not in a sub-folder, for it to access the files.
That's strange. I definitely just did

Code:
$ cd /media/mmc2/roadmaps
wget -O http://roadmap.digitalomaha.net/maps/rnfMB.tar.gz | tar -xzf -
and it worked fine. My roadmaps folder looks like:
Code:
$ ls
MB     MN     ND     SB     usdir.rdm
I also could not get addresses in Winnipeg to lookup either, and I think you may be right about it not being setup for that. Check the following:

Code:
$ grep -i Fargo usdir.rdm
Fargo-Odell
Fargo
West Fargo
$ grep -i -B1 Manitoba usdir.rdm
MB
Manitoba
$ grep -i peg usdir.rdm
Pegram
$ grep -i peg MB/usc89001.rdm
Peguis
Winnipeg
It seems the Manitoba map file lists Winnipeg, but the usdir does not, and [speculation]I have a feeling that usdir needs to list it for it to be searchable. Though one would think if it knows MB, it would search the MB folder for maps with Winnipeg in them... not sure.

Kernelpanic is already looking into problems with address lookup, so I'm sure we'll hear an answer when he knows what's up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobpaul For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bobpaul View Post
That's strange. I definitely just did

Code:
$ cd /media/mmc2/roadmaps
wget -O http://roadmap.digitalomaha.net/maps/rnfMB.tar.gz | tar -xzf -
and it worked fine. My roadmaps folder looks like:
Code:
$ ls
MB     MN     ND     SB     usdir.rdm
I also could not get addresses in Winnipeg to lookup either, and I think you may be right about it not being setup for that. Check the following:

Code:
$ grep -i Fargo usdir.rdm
Fargo-Odell
Fargo
West Fargo
$ grep -i -B1 Manitoba usdir.rdm
MB
Manitoba
$ grep -i peg usdir.rdm
Pegram
$ grep -i peg MB/usc89001.rdm
Peguis
Winnipeg
It seems the Manitoba map file lists Winnipeg, but the usdir does not, and [speculation]I have a feeling that usdir needs to list it for it to be searchable. Though one would think if it knows MB, it would search the MB folder for maps with Winnipeg in them... not sure.

Kernelpanic is already looking into problems with address lookup, so I'm sure we'll hear an answer when he knows what's up.
You are correct. Address lookup is based upon data formats available only in tiger maps. usdir.rdm is the directory index which maps location to state/zip. Tiger maps are by zip code. Address lookup depends upon that. (OSM maps are stored based upon location. So looking up an OSM address would require the search function to scan ALL OSM maps since there's no location mapping. It's simply not implemented yet. )

cheers,
kernelpanic

Originally Posted by kernelpanic View Post
You are correct. Address lookup is based upon data formats available only in tiger maps. usdir.rdm is the directory index which maps location to state/zip. Tiger maps are by zip code. Address lookup depends upon that.
So would the Manitoba problem be a bug that should be filed against the upstream project? The source forge page seems to indicate usdir should support all of the US and Canada. Or is telling you just as good?

I'm really not sure what your connection with upstream is. Are you upstream?

~Bob/Paul~

Originally Posted by bobpaul View Post
So would the Manitoba problem be a bug that should be filed against the upstream project? The source forge page seems to indicate usdir should support all of the US and Canada. Or is telling you just as good?

I'm really not sure what your connection with upstream is. Are you upstream?

~Bob/Paul~
No, not at this time. I want to add Internationalization support. The easiest way I know to do that is GNU automake tools. The main project doesn't use them.

Honestly, had I not moved the project over to use automake at the beginning of the port I might not have succeeded. Being able to easily build deb's from the source project took a major load off of me and let me focus on porting the actual code.

Anyway I'll try out Manitoba addresses on the x86 version. If it happens on both I'll report it upstream. If only on Maemo, I'll handle it. ;-)

cheers,
kernelpanic

Last edited by kernelpanic; 2008-06-20 at 00:59. Reason: Der whoops!

The Following User Says Thank You to kernelpanic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by kernelpanic View Post
Anyway I'll try out Manitoba addresses on the x86 version. If it happens on both I'll report it upstream. If only on Maemo, I'll handle it. ;-)
I d/l'd & compiled it on my x86 gentoo box & got the same error. So I guess you're off the hook .

And to reference a previous note, this is also the situation on the desktop, so I guess this might be another bug that can be pased up?

One caveat is that all the tiger tarballs (*.gz files) have the map databases stored in sub-folders based on the state/province name. Roadmap needs this file in the roadmaps folder, not in a sub-folder, for it to access the files. A minor inconvenience to move them all the proper place.
TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

I d/l'd & compiled it on my x86 gentoo box & got the same error. So I guess you're off the hook .

TX
grog,
Some of this is due to the nature of the source code. Address lookup starts at usdir.rdm (the index). Without an index- pffft! For this to be fixed, the search algorithm must be modified.

But searching the path for subdirectories, I can do. (I'll also ask upstream about it also.) I'm actually surprised that also happens with the x86 version. (I changed the paths searched for maps. I would have guessed that I caused it... )

cheers,
kernelpanic

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Half Moon Bay,CA
I'm a bit confused by the comment on roadmap not navigating subdirectories. Both roadmap4maemo and upstream roadmap navigate subdirectories fine.
from my N810:
Nokia-N810-23-14:/media/mmc1/roadmaps# ls
CA IL NJ NY usdir.rdm

I _do_ think that the usdir.rdm file needs to be at the root, but this is a separate download from the state maps anyway.

WRT the earlier question on why roadmap doesn't ask for city when searching by intersection (only state and roads) - it prompts you with a choice of cities once the search is performed - IIRC this has more to do with the internal storage format of the maps than anything else. Although it is not exactly identical in function, the maemo port is very close to the upstream project - I highly recommend browsing through the manual: http://roadmap.sourceforge.net/manual.html

The UI is very configurable and a lot can be done to make it more friendly to A: using while driving (screenobjects) and B: the N8x0's really tiny dotpitch (sprite scaling factor)

HTH,
wisp

The Following User Says Thank You to wisp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Got a small problem with Roadmap. I was using the other night on a long drive and it just crashed, got a Roadmap: Fata Error pop up and no other message then it went away.. I now get the same message everytime I start it.. I tried to uninstall and re-install but it must leave traces somewhere.. How do I reset or restore to factory original?? Thanks

Got a small problem with Roadmap. I was using the other night on a long drive and it just crashed, got a Roadmap: Fata Error pop up and no other message then it went away.. I now get the same message everytime I start it.. I tried to uninstall and re-install but it must leave traces somewhere.. How do I reset or restore to factory original?? Thanks
Hello,

There's 2 places that data can persist between installs-
1. /home/user/.roadmap This can be removed with the following command-
Code:
rm -rf /home/user/.roadmap
2. Maps- Corrupted mapfiles are very likely to crash Roadmap. To see if this is happening, rename your 'roadmaps' directory(s) on your MMC(s). then recreate the dir(s) and start Roadmap. If it runs o.k. without maps, then install some maps (either from the sourceforge page or via OSM...) and restart. If it runs o.k. with the new maps you likely have a corrupted mapfile. This happened to me once because my internal mmc, like many was corrupted.

Oh, if it's not too much trouble, before you delete anything, can you post or PM me the last 30-50 lines of your /home/user/.roadmap/postmortem file? It would likely help me figure out what happened.

Cheers,
kernelpanic

[edit] Just though of a third place - the trips directory. (/home/user/MyDocs/.documents/trips) A bogus trip could possibly crash the app... [/edit]

Last edited by kernelpanic; 2008-07-06 at 07:11.