Active Topics

Ok, I have a CyberPower CP-H420MP USB Hub which is self-powered through batteries. After reading many posts, it seems as this should work with the 770 in host mode because it provides power. Now, I connected it with a gender changer to my 770, yet my 770 is not seeing it. I read some more posts that said I need to buy this cable:

http://www.xpcgear.com/usbtype2atob.html

which brings power to the host. Now what's the point of a self-powered USB Hub if I need to do that?

Do I still need that cable in addition to my USB Self-Powered Hub? I also read that I can hack my Hub or Cable to do the same thing as that cable does. Can anyone please explain how I would do this? I was under the impression that it would work without that special cable......

Thanks

Last edited by kutibah; 2006-04-14 at 23:59.

Originally Posted by kutibah
Ok, I have a CyberPower CP-H420MP USB Hub which is self-powered through batteries. After reading many posts, it seems as this should work with the 770 in host mode because it provides power. Now, I connected it with a gender changer to my 770, yet my 770 is not seeing it. I read some more posts that said I need to buy this cable:

http://www.xpcgear.com/usbtype2atob.html

which brings power to the host. Now what's the point of a self-powered USB Hub if I need to do that?

Do I still need that cable in addition to my USB Self-Powered Hub? I also read that I can hack my Hub or Cable to do the same thing as that cable does. Can anyone please explain how I would do this? I was under the impression that it would work without that special cable......

Thanks
The powered hub provides power the "output" of the hub to power your peripherals (keyboard, hdd, etc.)
You still need to get 5Volts to the 770. What I did was take my hub apart, and solder a small jumper from the 5 volt line on one of the "output" ports to the 5V line on the "input" port. No special cable required. Others have used cables, like the one you linked to, to steal the power from one of the outputs. This is probably safer if you are not comfortable with modifying your hub.

Originally Posted by troubleshootr
The powered hub provides power the "output" of the hub to power your peripherals (keyboard, hdd, etc.)
You still need to get 5Volts to the 770. What I did was take my hub apart, and solder a small jumper from the 5 volt line on one of the "output" ports to the 5V line on the "input" port. No special cable required. Others have used cables, like the one you linked to, to steal the power from one of the outputs. This is probably safer if you are not comfortable with modifying your hub.
What does the 5V line look like? I understand what you're saying, I just don't really know what the line looks like or where to find it.

P.S. I was able to take apart my USB Hub with ease

Last edited by kutibah; 2006-04-14 at 23:59.

What does the 5V line look like? I understand what you're saying, I just don't really know what the line looks like or where to find it.

P.S. I was able to take apart my USB Hub with ease

It could be easy or hard, depends on your hub. If you have wires from the jacks, the 5V line is the red wire, just connect the red wire from the input jack to one of the red wires from the output jack, this is the easy. If you have jacks soldered to the board, it is a bit harder. It would be best to use a meter. The 5v lines to the output jacks are there if the hub is powered on, but you would need to hook the hub to a computer (not the 770) to have the computer generate the 5Volts for the input jack so you copuld find it with your meter. The usb jacks are standard as well. Check this link (it is near the bottom of the page) for the jack wiring which may help.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/BelkinM...e_assembly.htm

If your jacks are soldered to the board you should really consider using the cable method unless you are sure you have the right lines and your soldering is correct. You could easily fry your hub or your 770 if you get it wrong.

It could be easy or hard, depends on your hub. If you have wires from the jacks, the 5V line is the red wire, just connect the red wire from the input jack to one of the red wires from the output jack, this is the easy. If you have jacks soldered to the board, it is a bit harder. It would be best to use a meter. The 5v lines to the output jacks are there if the hub is powered on, but you would need to hook the hub to a computer (not the 770) to have the computer generate the 5Volts for the input jack so you copuld find it with your meter. The usb jacks are standard as well. Check this link (it is near the bottom of the page) for the jack wiring which may help.

If your jacks are soldered to the board you should really consider using the cable method unless you are sure you have the right lines and your soldering is correct. You could easily fry your hub or your 770 if you get it wrong.
Yeah, my jacks are soldered to the board. I'll try the meter, if I can't figure it out i'll just buy the cable. Thanks for the help!

Ok, I just used a meter and I found the one which got 4.6 V. Now my question is, to what do I jump it to on the input port?

Ok, I just used a meter and I found the one which got 4.6 V. Now my question is, to what do I jump it to on the input port?
Thats the hard part, you would need to connect it to a computer so 5V is supplied to the connector, then use your meter. Once you find the 5 V line on both these jacks, you need to jump them together. You want the 5V (4.6 in your case) to supply power to both the output and input jack.

Last edited by troubleshootr; 2006-04-15 at 01:27. Reason: add content

Thanks again! It's working fine now

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Aloha, OR
I've purchased the cp-h420mp hub and special y cable for USB host mode, but I must be doing something wrong. Running 2006 OS I flashed the --enable-usb-host-mode which reported: The device is now in USB host mode

I've charged up the hub's batteries, but connecting the hub using the y-cable isn't showing up. I've tried connecting a usb flash drive to the hub as well as a usb keyboard, but nothing shows.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Attached Images