Notices

1. i have the same results as bob paul re: addresses.
2. bugs: a. street labels don't stay on when the program is re-started. b. unable to connect to internet when roadmap and bt are running. bt is not associated with anything. internet scans but is unable to get ip. close rm, no problem.
3. any docs on the preference settings? a lot of them, and many aren't intuitive. i'd like to make the line on my route thicker for example.
4. is there a way to view my google route as text, and view distance to next direction?

maemomaps still does a lot of the above better, but i love having a map when i need it without d/l'ing...

Originally Posted by kernelpanic View Post
Are you running 1.1.0j-5 or 6? 1.1.0j-6 allocates the correct amount. So if you're seeing this on 1.1.0j-5, upgrade. But if you're seeing this on 1.1.0j-6, something is wrong. Please post back...
Sorry, forget to mention it, of course 1.1.0j-6 on a N800 with OS2008. Should I try to delete the maps and redownload them?

Originally Posted by bobpaul View Post

I click Ok and am told "No street with that name could be found". I click the street and it shows "(1110-1199) 13th Ave N". I've tried with and without the th, with and without caps, moving the N to various parts that the post office would still agree with, etc.
I'm not sure why this is happening. I'm in Colorado. I did test the Tiger maps with areas that were accessible to me. Numbered address lookup works for the maps I was able to test(Colorado and New Mexico). But the format was usually <number> <Direction> <name>. like- 1100 N 13th. st.

I have downloaded ND maps and will try them here today or tomorrow and will post back as well.

cheers
kernelpanic

Ok, I got an address on the 1300 block of 10th St N to work by only leaving off the direction entirely. I was then asked if I wanted 10th St N or 10th St S. I still could not get any result for the 13th Ave N address.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
just installed 1.1.0j-5, successful installation. Upon running, it flicked a grey square in split second and closed. Run under xterm, same result. Error message: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": ;No such file or directory...D-Bus not built ith -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace Upgraded to 0j-6, same result.

Run getmaps: error accessing 'file///media/mmc1/roadmaps': File not found
ignore it, click on Get OSM Maps, Maps Downloaded Successfully!

N800/2008OS/BT GPS/MMC boot

Any suggestions? TIA,

Edit:Cannot open map index file, only OpenStreet.....
##roadmap_locator.c, line 310: no more memory
Roadgps works ith beautiful graphics

bun
@KP: Problem persisted. Any suggestions? TIA,

bun

Ok, I got an address on the 1300 block of 10th St N to work by only leaving off the direction entirely. I was then asked if I wanted 10th St N or 10th St S. I still could not get any result for the 13th Ave N address.
O.K. Tried and verified. Thanks for the heads up... I'll look into it

cheers,
kernelpanic

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Edit:Cannot open map index file, only OpenStreet.....
##roadmap_locator.c, line 310: no more memory
Roadgps works ith beautiful graphics
I'm pretty sure I was getting this error. I know I couldn't get roadmap to open before I did the following.

Create a folder "roadmaps" on your SD-Card and unzip usdir.rdm.tar.gz and bndSB.tar.gz from http://roadmap.digitalomaha.net/maps/ into it. I /think/ only the usdir is needed, but try both. You should now have a folder "SB" inside the roadmaps folder as well as a file usdir.drm directly in the roadmaps folder.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bobpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I'm pretty sure I was getting this error. I know I couldn't get roadmap to open before I did the following.

Create a folder "roadmaps" on your SD-Card and unzip usdir.rdm.tar.gz and bndSB.tar.gz from http://roadmap.digitalomaha.net/maps/ into it. I /think/ only the usdir is needed, but try both. You should now have a folder "SB" inside the roadmaps folder as well as a file usdir.drm directly in the roadmaps folder.
Thanks for that. I was having the same problem & this at least got roadmap 1.1.0j-6 running for me. My frustration comes from roadmap not showing any map data. So I guess I have to use getmaps to download it . I open getmaps & it can get my gps fix ok (approximately so you guys can't accurately target me with your orbitting death lasers , lat 50, long -98), I want to save the map data to my internal card so I point it to /media/mmc2/roadmaps. I then select Overwrite Existing Maps & hit Get OSM Maps (still confused about how to get Tiger Maps instead). It then fires up the wget command, which I copied to a terminal & modded slightly to test with the results below:

Code:
+ /usr/bin/wget --verbose --user-agent=RoadMap/1.1.0j -O test.out http://www.symbianos.org/~adam/osmgetbmap/osmgetbmap.php?tile=742303&ts=21&have=15
--10:23:05--  http://www.symbianos.org/~adam/osmgetbmap/osmgetbmap.php?tile=742303&ts=21&have=15
           => `test.out'
Resolving www.symbianos.org... 212.13.202.39
Connecting to www.symbianos.org|212.13.202.39|:80... failed: Connection timed out.
Retrying.
This is all I've EVER gotten from any version of roadmap I've tried so far. I'd love to try the program, but it seems the map server is flunked? At least for me? Suggestions _very_ welcome. TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Last edited by grog; 2008-06-18 at 21:51.

TigerMaps are explained in post #32. Basically, exactly what you just did, but now grab one of the .gz file for the state or province you want. I'm not sure about the OSM. I know there was a server issue, but I thought that was fixed.

The Following User Says Thank You to bobpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
TigerMaps are explained in post #32. Basically, exactly what you just did, but now grab one of the .gz file for the state or province you want. I'm not sure about the OSM. I know there was a server issue, but I thought that was fixed.
Thanks. That worked. I had a big long reply typed in for this & it seems to have gotten lost . The bottom line is that it seems that Canadian user's needn't bother with trying to download OSM maps with getmaps. Just go get the Tiger maps (all of the rnf* files are the Canadian provinces). One caveat is that all the tiger tarballs (*.gz files) have the map databases stored in sub-folders based on the state/province name. Roadmap needs this file in the roadmaps folder, not in a sub-folder, for it to access the files. A minor inconvenience to move them all the proper place.

But that leads me to finding other problems, however . It seems that roadmap is only set up to find locations based on US cities? After grabbing the ND database I was able to find a street in Grand Forks (100 Demers Ave), but it cannot find a local (for me) address (100 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB). I get the error 'No city with that name could be found'. Anyone have an idea what's the deal? TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset