Active Topics

the site appears to be down now

Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
the site appears to be down now
Yes, even better, when you do finally turn up at the right time the site doesn't work.

This is turning out to be a great advert for Firefox.

I am a fan of the browser, I've used it on every machine I've owned recently, but they have to do better than this shambles if they want to win new people over.

This message posted from FF3 final.

It's not that I want FF3 right now and can't have it, it's that I'm worried what kind of image this gives of Firefox to people who currently use Internet Explorer.

Open source software has an unfair reputation for being difficult to use and install, and the way this high profile event has been badly organised is just reinforcing that image.

For the first time Firefox was a headline on the front page of many mainstream news sites, this was a big chance to get new converts from IE. Now that opportunity has apparently been wasted, and people will go away associating Firefox with something that doesn't work.

Last edited by krisse; 2008-06-17 at 17:53.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
It turns out that for a lot of people it won't even happen on the 17th, because the "download day" is being started at 10am California time.
Ouch. At least when Microsoft did their big Internet Explorer 3 release event it was at midnight. Again, California time, but I worked nights then, so I was up anyway. And hey, free glow in the dark T-shirt.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sigh. They want to break a world record for downloads. But their server has crumbled under the pressure. <shakes head>

And the link on mozilla.com is still showing Firefox 2.0!

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-17 at 18:08.

Site's down again for me. Pretty crazy... been checking all morning for the new version.

Mozilla.com: Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

Clever.

Not sure who to blame here. The folks who swarmed to download it before the site was actually updated to reflect it being propogated to mirrors, Mozilla for organizing something their infrastructure could not handle, or the clever developers who made version 3 so desirable that its audience has increased beyond anyone's expectations

Anyone who really, really, wants FF3, but does not care about contributing to the download count, PM me. (BTW, I did re-download to tally for their record attempt, and got 2.3 KB/s vs. 350ish earlier; that's what you're looking at if you can get to the FTP.)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
OK, This is embarrassing for them!

I got through to their web page finally.
Download Day is here!
Set a Guinness World Record
Enjoy a Better Web

"Please download Firefox 3 by 17:00 UTC on June 18, 2008. That's 10:00 a.m. in Mountain View, 1:00 p.m. in Toronto, 2:00 p.m. in Rio de Janeiro, 7:00 p.m. in Paris, Madrid, Berlin, Rome and Warsaw, 9:00 p.m. in Moscow, and June 19, 2008 at 1:00 a.m. in Beijing and 2:00 a.m. in Tokyo.

Download Firefox 3
And when you click on the link, it takes you to... the aforementioned Mozilla.com page, still showing Firefox 2.