Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
or you can run into what i did, no help because expansys sold me a us one, and i live in norway...

Originally Posted by racky View Post
If you booted from MMC, then all your data should be on your MMC. If not, then sorry. since you can't enter any command without seeing the screen.
Yes, flashing will not reset the lock code, but it will get rid all the other data.
All right, too bad. So, for the future, working mostly with MMC will be a good idea (I suppose the main thing is to mount the home on MMC, the OS isn't so important, just make backups of the altered config files).

Meanwhile waiting another question: is there any sensible way to reduce the risk of getting wsod? It seems it is caused by an event during shutdown or early in the bootup process (as it always occurs after reboot)? Are there any observations whether or not charger plugged in during reboot has an effect (after what I read on the forum it seems a power peak in the lcd controller that causes the wsod)?

Originally Posted by jeromin View Post
All right, too bad. So, for the future, working mostly with MMC will be a good idea (I suppose the main thing is to mount the home on MMC, the OS isn't so important, just make backups of the altered config files).

Meanwhile waiting another question: is there any sensible way to reduce the risk of getting wsod? It seems it is caused by an event during shutdown or early in the bootup process (as it always occurs after reboot)? Are there any observations whether or not charger plugged in during reboot has an effect (after what I read on the forum it seems a power peak in the lcd controller that causes the wsod)?
Most likely you will get a N800 as a replacement, because they ran out of all the 770. So, WSOD is not an issue anymore. They just can't keep replacing the 770 with another 770.

I very much doubt that:

a) at shop.nokia.co.uk it says "in stock" for the 770
b) the N800 costs about 64 GBPs more than the 770
c) I prefer the 770 (apart from the wsod feature, of course)

So, it would still be of interest to me whether there are any ideas
of how to avoid the wsod.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Don't switch it off. The WSOD situation can happen only at poweroff. If you really have to turn it off, then perform a clean poweroff, never remove the battery, use the power button instead. The power button works also in many cases when for some reason the device seems to be stuck, just keep it pressed and it should switch the unit off.
This is not 100% safe, but can increase your chances of keeping the device healty.

The Following User Says Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Well I got the go ahead to send my back for replacement. Will be interested in seeing what I get in return. I'd prefer to get the 800 just for stability purposes. I don't want to use a device where I worry about bricking it all the time. It may be smaller with the nice hard case, but I'll take the stability and the increased memory card options of the 800.

I very much doubt that:

a) at shop.nokia.co.uk it says "in stock" for the 770
b) the N800 costs about 64 GBPs more than the 770
c) I prefer the 770 (apart from the wsod feature, of course)

Too bad for you in UK, but in US here, they did replace the 770 with N800 for some people. Here is another thread that people are also talking about WSOD of 770, maybe you find some other useful info.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=14838&page=4

I like my 770 too, I might receive my replacement earlier than you and will let everyone knows what I get.

Last edited by racky; 2008-06-10 at 03:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to racky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Meanwhile waiting another question: is there any sensible way to reduce the risk of getting wsod?
I never turn mine off unless it actually freezes. If you don't reboot, you won't expose your hardware to the bootstrap sequence. Or that's how my own thinking goes.

Re backing up your files after WSOD, I believe you can do it via USB. Note...
Windows + USB + 770 = you only see the MMC
Linux + USB + 770 = you can see the Linux partitions too
...so create a Live Linux CD or try VMware within Windows.

Last edited by dmphzhopjrbffx; 2008-06-22 at 22:46.

Originally Posted by dmphzhopjrbffx View Post
Re backing up your files after WSOD, I believe you can do it via USB. Note...
Windows + USB + 770 = you only see the MMC
Linux + USB + 770 = you can see the Linux partitions too
...so create a Live Linux CD or try VMware within Windows.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion, that's the sort of thing I was hoping for. Sadly it doesn't work for me (I use linux) - well, I can see the ext2 partition of my mmc card but not the internal flash.

And, as you can tell, I got my replacement device. Times weren't so bad:
4 days until I got the returns label after calling (wasn't able to print it);
12 days until I got the replacement device after sending the broken one in.

Of course, can't beat the experience with my broken HP some years ago: went to the shop I bought it from and got the replacement right away after someone sat down with me to transfer the data...

Now, I'm hoping that I don't get a wsod again (and, of course, I'll make sure to power down/reboot the "proper" way, i.e., shutdown -r|h now). Still, if we knew what exactly causes the wsod we might be able to take some better precautions than just that?