in us homeowners/renters/condo policy would cover theft from a vehicle - subject to your deductible (i sell insurance- i should know) but making a claim might increase your premium over 3 years....unless you have a very low deductible- it might not be in your financial interest to make a claim if the only loss is the n810- talk to your agent tomorrow am and take his/her advise- that's what we get paid for and if they dont know the answer or wont help get a new agent and/or policy at renewal.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
From my perspective, regardless of your contribution to any project, your spirit is a major contribution to the lifeblood of this place, and we can't spare you. So, if you accept something easy, you can expect a (tiny) sum from me.

Edit: done.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-06-02 at 00:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
In my experience (having things stolen out of my car including a load of rare CDs), renter's / homeowner's will not cover it unless it was physically and permanently attached to the vehicle (ie the radio). Anything transportable does not fall under the policy and is usually excluded in a clause.

This particular oversight made me get a really cheap ($50/yr for 10 grand) policy to cover all the stuff I needed to transport to and from work at the time (phone, PDA, laptop, clothes, etc).

Not saying PB's particular policy or company doesn't cover it, but that was my experience when my vehicle was broken into.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

EDIT... Events have overtaken this suggestion. PB has secured a replacement. So don't just jump to the donate site for this reason. I believe he will happily accept donations specifically for his work though.
Nevertheless, the response shows what a great user community this is - thanks to all who donated.

Ok, here is my suggestion.

If 40 of us would donate $10 each, PB would be able to get a replacement. He has done a great deal for this community and we can say thanks in this way. I'm sure many would be able to donate more but by limiting it to $10 each, no one really gets the glory. This is community support as it should be. When we get to $400 we'll call it a day.

Here is how I suggest we do it. Go to PB's donation site as follows:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...010bfb00cf3c64

and donate $10.

Then return to this thread and add $10 to the previous total given and post the new total. Also add the donation link to make it easy for the next one who wants to donate.

A couple of points I think I should mention.
There will certainly be others who are perhaps deserving and wonder why they were not 'chosen'. Please do not feel dismissed, be glad that we are able to do this for one person. Your day may come in a completely different way.

Also, PB, you say that there are others more deserving. This may well be true but grace is not depenent upon the worthiness of the recipient.

My only concern is that this thread could get lost and be missed by those who might want to contribute. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

The total is $10

(if you have already donated for this reason, just add to the total your donation amount and repost)

And thanks to all who contribute!!!

Last edited by dfinch; 2008-06-03 at 03:21.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dfinch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
Okay, total is now $20

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'm not adding to a donation list. When we hear about PB taking a Carribean cruise AND buying an N810, we'll know to stop donating.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I'm not adding to a donation list. When we hear about PB taking a Carribean cruise AND buying an N810, we'll know to stop donating.
Let him have his fun

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarflash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by dfinch View Post
<snip>
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...010bfb00cf3c64

and donate $10.

<snip>
That site was broke for me
So I donated $10 to KDE,
Now if he only sends me a picture from his Caribbean cruise taken with his new 810.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Total is $30

Thanks geminiii42

I used the KDE donate as well

The Following User Says Thank You to dfinch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I left the windows open in the Jeep for 5 minutes. I went into Burger Street, Grand Blanc, Michigan, to oder some lunch. I could see my jeep from the resturant, but
I guess they must have done it exaclty when I was ordering my food and not watching.
Man! I work like a mile from there at SPO on Hill Rd. and I missed my chance for a free N810?!

The sad part is, whoever did it probably thought it was just a GPS.