Active Topics

After a day of trying to get my N810 to tether to a Nokia 6233 via Bluetooth (and trying dozens of options suggested on various sites) I am no closer to a resolution. I have a 3 mobile data plan and can use the phone for browsing and collecting my Gmail via the Google application, so that works.

However when I try to connect with the N810, it connects to the phone with a message on the phone "creating connection" but then the phone gives the message
" Subscribe to packet data first " and the link to the N810 is dropped.
My question is... what can cause this message? It's probably a Nokia generic phone message but, does anyone know the processes that occur when an attempt is made to connect to the Internet from the N810 via a Bluetooth connection.

1. What is the purpose of the cellphone wizard on the N810. Does this create a file that contains info that must match with something on the phone? What and how do I change it?

2. Should the personal Account (on the phone) be "Web" or "Access Point"

3. How do I set the Bluetooth connection to use a particular "Access Point" on the phone. (As opposed to the applications on the phone that use the standard 3 Access point)

Am I missing something basic here?

I don't want a step by step solution, just some pointers about where to look for the answer so that I can document it for when I get a new phone!

Thanks in advance for your help. When/if I solve the problem I will post it.

Mal

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
The Wizard, by default, will setup the n810 to use the configuration with CID no 1.
If you have 3 of them, you might as well specify the one you need.

First figure out the CID number of the configuration you want to use.
I do not know how to get it from your phone, but in mine (Ericsson) it's showed when I view the configuration settings.
Anyway they, usually, are ordered by CID number.
Got the CID number, edit the newly created configuration (the one that the Wizard created) and change the "dial-up" number from:

Code:
*99***1#
to:

Code:
*99***<CID #>#
for ex. mine has CID# 5 and the Dial-up number is:

Code:
*99***5#
Hope it helps.

Of course use the correct APN.

Note: actually it should OVERWRITE the CID configuration with the values you've entered in. May be some cellphone have the CID no 1 locked by the operator.

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bellshill, UK
When you use the N810 wizard to setup 3 for some strange reason Nokia have added the three.co.uk access point with an additional space at the end of it. Go back into the connection settings and ensure you have just three.co.uk

The Following User Says Thank You to gerrymoth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by gerrymoth View Post
When you use the N810 wizard to setup 3 for some strange reason Nokia have added the three.co.uk access point with an additional space at the end of it.
File a bug?

Thanks a million 'gerrymoth'
That was exactly the problem. Here's the fix for anyone else using 3 mobile with a Nokia in the UK and who gets the message 'Subscribe to packet data first'.
On the N810 run Connection Manager | Tools | Mobile operator setup wizard.
Work through setting up a connection for UK and 3
Try to get a connection to the internet via the phone.
Phone gives error "Subscribe to packet data first"

Load Connection Manager | Tools | Connectivity settings
choose [Connections]
Highlight your 3 connection and select [Edit] then [Next] to go to the second page.
Cursor to the end of three.co.uk where the blank space is. Delete it with the backspace.
[Finish] [Done] [OK]
Try the conection again.
Mine works after a whole weekend of fiddling with the phone and desperation beginning to set in!
Once again thanks gerrymoth.
Mal