Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Okay, I ran through my procedure again. Every time I try it, it seems to go differently, which goes against every ounce of common sense in my engineering brain. This time, during the install, I got some strange "cannot remove /usr/share directory - not empty" errors, followed by some "out of space" errors (even though I had plenty of space in my root partition. This stopped the install, and an "apt-get -f install" instructed me to run "dpkg --configure -a", at which point it then resumed.
Sounds about like it went for me, and my install works fine.

/me shrugs

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Sounds about like it went for me, and my install works fine.

/me shrugs
I wonder why I didn't get that behavior the first four times I tried. Ahh, well, if it works for you, I'll stick with it. I love that modest is now the default email client. (Yes, it has its problems, but it works great with gmail's IMAP interface.)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Does this mean that they're not propogating Diablo updates through the repository anymore? Are they avoiding the repository now, thanks to people like us? Need we investigate alternatives for getting updates?
Hang on gnuite!

Even if I had those answers I could not share them, sorry. My teaser was mainly to hint that work continues... so don't make too many hard-and-fast assumptions.

Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
I do believe you need a signature reflective of that accomplishment
Aisu, earlier you mentioned having problems with the diablo initfs and/or kernel with your N810. I just tried to flash-and-reboot, and the kernel is definitely causing my N810 to stop booting. Have you managed to reflash with the diablo initfs or kernel?

Or do they only work with the N800?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Hang on gnuite!

Even if I had those answers I could not share them, sorry. My teaser was mainly to hint that work continues... so don't make too many hard-and-fast assumptions.
If you're going to teaser, you have to be ready to accept the wild misinterpretations that your teasers may yield.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
If you're going to teaser, you have to be ready to accept the wild misinterpretations that your teasers may yield.
Yeah, but I have elected to accept them only begrudgingly.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Aisu, earlier you mentioned having problems with the diablo initfs and/or kernel with your N810. I just tried to flash-and-reboot, and the kernel is definitely causing my N810 to stop booting. Have you managed to reflash with the diablo initfs or kernel?

I was talking to Maba on IRC. His N810 will not boot with the N810 kernel but my ripped Diablo initfs and chinook kernel work together :/

Oh yeah, I've got a static binary of 0xFFFF if anyone wants to dump their clean Diablo rootfs to make a flashable file with flasher-3.0 :/ (not to share it)

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-05-16 at 06:21.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
When it finished, I skipped the flash-and-reboot step, and now it boots fine. I have no idea how "clean" my file system is, and the obsessive-compulsive part of me wants very badly to retry the process from the beginning, but I'm afraid I'll never be able to get it to boot again. So I'll stick with what I have now unless/until I run into issues.
If there are no complains when running apt-get -f install, then you have no problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:

No initfs problem. Had some kernel trouble, though.

I just grabbed the kernel from here. Works perfectly with Diablo, and I get a nice new feature

Just test it first, like it says there, before you actually install.

Last edited by Aisu; 2008-05-16 at 22:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aisu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Interesting... I assume that some AGPS functionality is already built in but it is not yet complete.

That's because there is one application that is in testing, which is basically showing a world map which you should point your rough location at the very first time. (Or after you have moved long distance since last fix.) Also the app asks permission to use packet data (GPRS/EDGE, etc.) for internet connection.
Some updates... It seem that the app uses active internet connection (WiFi usually) to keep AGPS data up to date. If that is not currently available, there is an option to use cell phone packet data connection as a backup.

I did test the fix time today after almost a week of not using GPS: At the very beginning GPS status showed ~10 visible satellites right away. After about a minute of waiting I got a fix. This is indeed promising... But need to test more to come into more firm conclusions.

Last edited by Mara; 2008-05-17 at 02:35.