Active Topics

I'm not sure if OpenStreetMaps provides direction information for its roads, but as it's designed to be extensible, I assume it can and could even if it doesn't at the moment.

If you're willing to live with the possibility of being routed the wrong way down these, then you can get by with free.
I think it's worth a try at least.

To get that data, you have to pay, at least in the US, which AFAIK provides more free data than any other country.
Are you talking about the TIGER files here? They weren't designed for routing were they? OSM support for the US seems pretty good (in the few cities I've looked at anyway).

Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
That's a very big assumption you're making. The reason you have to pay is that the metadata isn't freely available. There are free apps, and free maps, that can do routing, but they don't have all the information needed, especially the data on one-way roads.
OSM is map wikipedia - the OSM data are user supplied, and their quality is variable, some places haven't even proper road classification, others are detailed down to umpteenth-class one-way roads. But just about any GPS tool can gather data, which makes it easy to contribute. In densely nerd populated areas, OSM maps sometimes are a year ahead of the big map vendors and accurate down to single day temporary reroutings - but 50km off, even major roads may be still uncharted...

Sevo

Last edited by sevo; 2008-05-14 at 17:51.