Active Topics

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Brussels
Originally Posted by thenabbster
One more thing, why the #$*% does every european country have this device but not us americans and we wont get it until weeks from now. Yes, im sounding very cocky, but come on we are the god damn richest country in the world, everything comes to us first after it is released in asia, whats going on?
Can I make a small correction?

US is the thirth richest.... Eu Countries Luxemburg and Norway are leading ;-)
http://www.aneki.com/richest.html

But then again you have the most internet users
http://www.aneki.com/internet.html

Hope you get it soon !

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Cumberland Center, Maine, USA
Originally Posted by pgn674
Hm, maybe it won't start being sold in the US untill November 14th. The reason I think this is because of the press release posted on Nokia's site: http://www.nokiausa.com/about/newsro...6,3617,00.html . It is dated 11-07-2005, and it says "The www.nokiausa.com sales channel is expected to open one week later."
Heh, I'm famous now. I found this article at TheInquirer.net, complaining about our inpatients. In it the author says Nokia doesn't promise the 770 to appear until the 14th. Looking at the rest of that article, that little bit of info seems based on my post in this thread
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27643

Originally Posted by JPB
Can I make a small correction?

US is the thirth richest.... Eu Countries Luxemburg and Norway are leading ;-)
http://www.aneki.com/richest.html

But then again you have the most internet users
http://www.aneki.com/internet.html

Hope you get it soon !

about the richest countries in the world thing, that web source is talking about gdp per capita, meaning total real output divided by population, if thats what you mean then yes the US doesnt win there. Also take China into consideration, they are also a pretty wealthy country and probably will be the next leading world power (who knows), They have a very high real GDP, however their population is huge, so thats why their gdp per capita won't be so great. large output countries with small populations will win there, because this gdp per capita will be a better ratio, like the small european country luxemburg, but thats different from, a country as a whole including total economic output/power, rescource consumption, military capabilities, unemployment rates, world political power/influence, average standard of living(gdp per capita is not necessarily a good measure of this), etc. any economist will tell you all this. lets think of it in another way:

the exchange rate. luxemburg uses the euro as the other 11 countries in the euro union do, 12 countries in all (it could be more or less, i dont know), the rate is 1 Euro = 1.1699 U.S. dollars, and 1 Norwegian krone = 0.129207625 Euro. those twelve european countries barely surpass the dollar by a fraction. these 12 fricken eurpean countries combined just barely pass one country, the US, in money demand. I dont know what you guys think, but thats gotta mean something, come on (especially on the lines of world politcal power, since the currency is in high demand).

anyways lets not fight about that, im just wondering how we are so far behind, it will be a while for them, i guess, to be shipping in the US at a large scale, and Europe is already on full production more or less, i know some euro countries might be out of stock.

Last edited by thenabbster; 2005-11-13 at 19:49.

. those twelve european countries barely surpass the dollar by a fraction. these 12 fricken eurpean countries combined just barely pass one country, the US, in money demand. I dont know what you guys think, but thats gotta mean something, come on (especially on the lines of world politcal power, since the currency is in high demand).

anyways lets not fight about that, im just wondering how we are so far behind, it will be a while for them, i guess, to be shipping in the US at a large scale, and Europe is already on full production more or less, i know some euro countries might be out of stock.
I agree, let's not fight about this, but as you said population has to be taken account. 12 euro countries~usa in population. Personally I would look at gdp per capita: that's good way to find out how rich country is.

And now to topics:
I have a feeling that in Europe people are willing to pay more for hi-tech in general and competition may not be so fierce in Europe.

Originally Posted by mika
I agree, let's not fight about this, but as you said population has to be taken account. 12 euro countries~usa in population. Personally I would look at gdp per capita: that's good way to find out how rich country is.

And now to topics:
I have a feeling that in Europe people are willing to pay more for hi-tech in general and competition may not be so fierce in Europe.

yes, i guess youre right, the europeans are paying more to get the 770, roughly 420 us dollars, and its only going to be sold in the US for 350 us dollars, thats one thing we can agree on.

ok people, there are now rumors going around that nokia is starting shipping of the 770 in the US tomorrow Nov 14, can people post replies confirming this date, maybe calling the nokiausa people up or finding sources online, post whatever seems reliable. thank you

Well, my order is still pending, awaiting available stock. I'll post as soon as I get confirmation that it is shipping out.

Jeff

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Brussels
yes, i guess youre right, the europeans are paying more to get the 770, roughly 420 us dollars, and its only going to be sold in the US for 350 us dollars, thats one thing we can agree on.
Just for the record:
If I remember right goods in the US have different state taxes.
We in the EU have V.A.T 21%
So, I paid 306 Euro without the V.A.T which is 359$

Just got off the phone with Nokia USA... apparently their systems are being upgraded right now and they can't take orders for another hour or so.

Well, I just got a call from a Nokia rep. He was calling to let me know that my first order from last Monday had been cancelled due to unavailiable stock. I chatted with hime for a while about the whole situation. He seemed pretty knowledgeable about everything and was apologetic about all the confusion.

It appears that both the order cancellation on Monday and the problems with the second order going through on Wednesday had nothing to do with credit issues (even though that's what I was being told last week) and more to do with availability. As of now, my second order is still pending and he hoped that it would stay that way until they get stock. He said they hope to get some in this week, but if not, they would get more information about when they are coming in this Friday. He was indicating that they should have them by Thanksgiving if not this week.

Given that his call was the first initiated contact on their end to let me know that the first order had been cancelled, I expressed concern about the second order as he was saying "hopefully" it wouldn't get cancelled and would stay pending until stock arrived. He offered to contact me directly as he had this morning if it did get cancelled and also gave me his name and extension so I could contact him directly should any probelms arise. I took him up on it and will keep an eye on the online status just in case.

Jeff