Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by unique311 View Post
btw. requirements for gogh

Requirements:

* Python 2.4
* PyGTK 2.8 or greater, compiled with Numeric
* gnome-python
* PyXML
Pygtk is compiled with --disable-numpy: https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...mo&view=markup

And gnome-python in maemo is a very limited version.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2007 @ BKNYC
so that's a no on GOGH...

Originally Posted by yerga View Post
Pygtk is compiled with --disable-numpy: https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...mo&view=markup

And gnome-python in maemo is a very limited version.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by unique311 View Post
here is a screenie of the problem i'm having...
so i notice its just that area now that i need to press on really hard to get the stroke to show.
left hand side.
looks like a shape.
Man, your "dead zone" is TINY compared to mine. This might actually explain a lot of the problems I've been having with my touch screen. Perhaps I shouldn't have let my 2 year old colour on the tablet with the stylus gripped in her fist like a digging tool.

Like you, I can use my finger in the "stylus dead zone", but I want to know how to calibrate my touchscreen to fix this stylus issue.

I agree that this looks like a hardware problem that MyPaint is uncovering.

Here is my ‘dead zone’, like other, left side. Note: this doesn't happen in mtpaint!
Note2: I am using an n800 and the latest mypaint.
Attached Images

Last edited by awe215; 2008-04-15 at 18:32. Reason: addition

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by anders_gud View Post
I think I saw a thread about new findings regarding the amount of pressure one should apply when recalibrating the screen....
I checked out this thread, but their results didn't seem to be very conclusive, and I tried calibrating first with feather-light taps and then with hard presses and it doesn't seem to help either way. I tried using my finger on the calibration screen and that made it worse.

I wonder if there's some setting in "Configuration Editor" that might help this?

Originally Posted by awe215 View Post
Here is my ‘dead zone’, like other, left side. Note: this doesn't happen in mtpaint!
Again, your dead zone is tiny compared to mine. The red area on my screen is the GOOD zone, the rest is "dead".

Last edited by qole; 2008-04-15 at 18:27.

i really don't think this is a hardware problem....
if it was hardware, wouldn't it be just more than mypaint with deadzones..
I tried all the other draw/sketch/paint apps and all of them seem to work properly.
maybe its a problem with touch sensitivity.

All in all I'm happy its isolated to only mypaint...I would be very mad if it was an issue with my tablet.

qole, I feel for you...

The Following User Says Thank You to unique311 For This Useful Post:
Interesting. Here's the problem in fullscreen. I scribbled systematically all over the screen, first one way diagonally, then the other way, then in circles. I wonder why the diagonals work in one direction in some areas, and in the other direction in some areas.

I really do believe it is a hardware and/or firmware problem being exposed by MyPaint, because I have had terrible problems with my touchscreen since I upgraded to OS2008. Drawing a solid line in Numpty Physics, for instance, is an exercise in frustration and futility... especially on the left side. MyPaint may just be more pressure sensitive than the other programs.

Are the touch screen grid sensors on the right-hand side, by any chance?

EDIT: According to this thread, Diablo will address a lot of the touchscreen issues. But there has to be some way to boost the pressure readings or something... The brush pressure settings (in opacity and radius) don't seem to make any difference.

Last edited by qole; 2008-04-15 at 20:26.

To clarify to onlookers of this thread that are making assumptions about the touch screen, this isn't happening to everyone.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by Navi View Post
To clarify to onlookers of this thread that are making assumptions about the touch screen, this isn't happening to everyone.
No, only to fathers of toddlers who keep dropping their devices.

UPDATE: I logged some of the pressure values, and it looks like the dead areas of the screen are registering speed1, speed2, and stroke values, but they get press=0.000 in this area.

UPDATE2: The pressure values all seem really low, even in that "good" area in the top right corner.. The best I can get is 0.220, and that's dangerously hard. Most of the values (pressing hard) are falling around the 0.18 area.

Last edited by qole; 2008-04-15 at 20:39.