Active Topics

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Near Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
In Garage you can select notifications for new releases. Click on:

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/monitor...id=455&start=1
Much appreciated! Thanks!

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I assure you that N800 VC does recognize .VOB files. See my post #54 above for instructions. You're doing something wrong.

If that doesn't help, you're going to have to explain exactly what you're doing. (Once you have created the .VOB file, you ought to be able to click Open in N800 VC and navigate to the VOB file -- it's the biggest file that you want -- then see it in the preview, and then click Add. Then start the conversion.)
Thanks for the quick reply!

I found the issue. When I tried to download ver. 0.8.4.0 I received a 'page not found' error from my browser. I downloaded the 0.8.4.1 beta which was the only responsive link at the time. The beta download is the .exe only so I gather it was in need of additional files. I was able to download 0.8.4.0 this morning and I have it working.

Thanks again!

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2007 @ St.Petersburg, FL
I know it costs money but DVDFab has worked flawlessly for me. You only need to use the PSP option and it will save the dvd to mp4 with a few clicks. No need to use Nokias VC either. I have been converting as much as possible while the free trial hold s and so far so good whether the dvd was encrypted or not. It's pretty fast too.

Originally Posted by mandrake64 View Post
How and where can we select aspect ratio in DVD Shrink?
Use IFOEdit, open the IFO file of the title set, check what aspect ratio is selected, correct it if required.

Originally Posted by DJames1 View Post
Use IFOEdit, open the IFO file of the title set, check what aspect ratio is selected, correct it if required.
Thank you very much for your advise. I will try when arrived at home.

I've had a lot of success using Iriverter, a free open source program. It was originally created for iRiver devices. But someone created a profile for the Creative Zen W (which I also own). The profiles are just text files that are easy to edit.

So I have created a profile for the N800, and it seems to work fine.

Use this for converting avi files (Bittorrent is your friend!) or ripped DVD's (use DVD Shrink to rip the movie to a single vob file).

I've uploaded it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?umg9tmnj0hm

Originally Posted by blakboy98 View Post
I know it costs money but DVDFab has worked flawlessly for me. You only need to use the PSP option and it will save the dvd to mp4 with a few clicks. No need to use Nokias VC either. I have been converting as much as possible while the free trial hold s and so far so good whether the dvd was encrypted or not. It's pretty fast too.
Thanks for your advise. DVDFab converted the DVD to MP4 only 1 hour and quality is good but not as perfect as AutoGK and after NVC combination. But this combination takes 2.5 hours so its not practical like DVDFab. Thank you very much indeed for your good advise.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Nebraska
I use Ubuntu and AcidRip DVD Ripper. Nice 1 step process to rip the DVD to a file (.avi or .mpg). You pick the file size, bitrate, and size of the movie. I usually try to get a bitrate around 580 to 600 and a video size of 400x222. The .avi file size winds up around 600MB for a 2 hour movie. My .avi of Black Hawk Down is about 601MB and plays great on the N800 in Canola. My P4 (Mobile) 2Ghz processor takes about 1.75 times the length of the movie, 1 hour movie takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes. I use also Avidemux, on Ubuntu, to chop out the comercials from TV shows .avi files I have created from DVDs with AcidRip.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Thanks for the info on AcidRip. Other Linux choices are Avocado and RockPod 08 Lite both to be found here
http://techlogg1.com/content/view/13/33/
I have tried RockPod 08 and it is OK, I prefer to have a few more options along the lines of your suggestions to set video bitrate manually and for the resolution height to be calculated automatically by the app so as to maintain the aspect ratio of the source.

CloneAD does this very well under Windows, as does Handbrake.

Avocado has a dependency problem on my HardyHeron setup which has yet to be resolved so I can't comment on it yet.

out of all the people who have done these rips and converts, has anyone uploaded them anywhere? maybe bittorrent or something. if i start ripping, i might plop some up....