Posts: 78 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2005 @ San Francisco, CA
I recently purchased an N800 to replace my 770. I'm sure there are a number of other users out there that are similar to me, so I thought I would post about my experience for their benefit. My background:
  • I'm a long time linux PDA owner (previously Zaurus)
  • I pre-ordered a 770 the second it was possible, so am the earliest of early adopters. I proceeded to buy two more during the 770's life cycle. This allowed me to have one "production" unit, and a couple more to really hack around with.
  • I think the physical design of the 770 is exceptional. The slide case makes it incredibly durable and buttons are well placed, etc. Nokia set a high bar with this design, and I'm apprehensive about the N800.
  • I have trouble going to sleep at night, so the primary use of my IT is browsing for about 2-4 hours each night at lowest light setting. I also sometime chat a bit (AIM via Pigeon) or check/fix some of my servers.
  • I am not at all happy with Nokia treating 770 owners as little more than beta hardware testers. Lots of linux OS devices manage to get very fast and stable with only 64MB RAM, so I think it's pretty embarrassing that they never managed a decent release for the 770. (and, yes, I am pleased they released the "hacker" editions, but that's NOT the same as fixing the performance/stability problem).
  • Based on above, I wasn't super excited about the idea of throwing $400 more toward Nokia when the N800 and N810 came out.
So that's where I'm coming from; and I bet there's a lot more folks like me out there. Here's my experience:

I ordered the N800 from Dell for $199 + tax (free shipping). I figured I can sell a couple of my 770s and just about cover the cost, so it's time to go for it (feel free to PM if you are looking for a 770). Dell shipped very quickly, and I received my N800 today.

I have to say that I was pretty excited as I opened the box. The N800 is definitely a lot nicer looking/feeling in person than is conveyed by photos. The included slip case should work pretty well. It reminds me of the case that came with my Sony PSP. I just hope I don't lose it.

I popped in the battery and memory card, and connected the charger. At this point, I figured I should be able to safely play with it while the battery charges for the first time.

First power up made me sad. My screen is noticeably darker on the right side than the left, and there are two dark patches along the right side. It's not subtle. After owning 3 770's with gorgeous screens, I'm not thrilled. My hope is that I will get used to this, and won't notice it anymore over time. I wonder if they are all like this, or I just happened to get one where the backlight layer isn't bonded perfectly or whatever.

After boot, I answered the usual questions and set up my WIFI. This unit shipped with OS2007, so it seems like a really fast version of my 770 so far. I'm happy to see that there are none of the long pauses that would interrupt my 770 browsing sessions regularly (probably when swapping RAM to VM on my RSMMC). But this machine was destined for OS2008, so I rebooted for a quick flash (at this point it had been charging for about 3 hours).

I shut down and hooked up my USB cable, then attempted to power up. Nothing. I unplugged the USB and attempted to power up again. Nothing. Now I'm worried that this baby may be dead. I removed/re-inserted the battery; tried a fully charged battery from 770, etc....no dice. Finally I started searching online for others with this problem.

Somehow I had missed this, but it seems like a LOT of people were having this problem. It's caused by some sort of software issue regarding a thermal sensor, and is fixed when RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.51-3 is installed. So now I just needed to figure out how to get it to power up once for a flash. I read in the bug tracker that sticking the unit in the freezer for 1 minute without the battery would allow it to boot once. This worked!

Unfortunately, I wasn't used to the flash procedure with the N800. Having to hold the home button wasn't something I had to do on my 770s. So the first time it powered up after the freeze was a no-go. I tried rebooting, but again it was acting dead. Searching ITT, I found that I needed to hold home....so back in the freezer it went. After the freeze, it powered up again, and I was able to finally flash OS2008!

Whew, that was a few hours of stress, but now I have the device I wanted: A OS2008 tablet that didn't need to run hacker OS. I powered it up and answered the startup questions. I setup my WiFi, and went to a few sites. Wow! Really nice experience. Very responsive and stable feeling. Now to load my bookmarks and desktop picture.

I pulled my 1GB RSMMC from 770 and inserted it into the N800 (using the adapter that came with the 770). I ran backup/restore on the N800 and restored JUST my bookmarks. This worked perfectly, which was a big relief.

I pulled up Digg, Gmail, ITT (of course), and a few forums I frequent. Speed and rendering are great. I noticed a few of the forums that used to throw messages that I was "using an unsupported browser" now do not (yay Mozilla!). I tend to switch in and out of full screen a bit, so I am pretty annoyed with the miniscule switch button between the zoom buttons. What a horrible design after the nice big corner button on the 770. However, the performance is certainly bringing a smile to my face.

I installed Skype and logged in. Very cool to see that working well (although it also worked well on the 770). I popped open my camera to see if that works with Skype. Ooops, no dice. Have to use the Nokia app with the camera (silly). Maybe there is a way around this, but otherwise that camera isn't going to get much use. I do REALLY like the camera design. Being able to turn it both ways and also safely tuck it away (whcin also ensures privacy) is a great design.

Now to decide what to do about AIM. I see that there is a beta update to Nokia's integrated chat solution that supports AIM. In order to use this, I would need to do some hacking. I'll probably install Pigeon first and try it both ways. My tasks for tomorrow will be setting up my favorite apps (or at least the ones that will run on OS2008).

In conclusion: I think this was a wise move. Having an N800 brings me "back into the fold" so to speak. I can run the newest applications, and hack around to my hearts content. I am really enjoying the device again. Hopefully over time the frustration I have been feeling toward Nokia based on 770 issues will be washed away by a much better feeling of satisfaction. At the $200 price point, I think a lot of the remaining die-hard 770 users may be willing to make the jump. I'm looking forward to many years of use from the N800.

Two final notes: Nokia should probably strongly consider trying to get existing inventory flashed to OS2008 or some kind of big warning sticker regarding the power on issue. I think a lot of people who are less technical than I am would simply return the device or send it in for repair. This is a pretty lousy first experience. At least it shouldn't be effecting the N810 owners. Regarding my screen? I'm trying to ignore it as best I can. We'll see how I feel in a week.

http://www.markandjo.com/markblog

Last edited by mk500; 2008-04-10 at 22:01. Reason: added backlight picture

The Following User Says Thank You to mk500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mk500 View Post
I shut down and hooked up my USB cable, then attempted to power up. Nothing. I unplugged the USB and attempted to power up again. Nothing. Now I'm worried that this baby may be dead. I removed/re-inserted the battery; tried a fully charged battery from 770, etc....no dice. Finally I started searching online for others with this problem.
For anybody who finds this thread in the future, the exact steps you need to follow to solve this issue are here:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...32&postcount=2

It's caused by some sort of software issue regarding a thermal sensor, and is fixed when RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.51-3 is installed.
It actually has nothing to do with sensors. It's a race issue in the boot timings for the OMAP, it's just that thermal conditions can have an affect on these timings.

Having to hold the home button wasn't something I had to do on my 770s.
The flashing procedure is no different than the 770's, it's just that holding down the Home key makes it a sure thing, rather than a function of lucky timing.

Now to decide what to do about AIM. I see that there is a beta update to Nokia's integrated chat solution that supports AIM. In order to use this, I would need to do some hacking. I'll probably install Pigeon first and try it both ways.
*Pidgin

You can actually install the Collabora repository (available from http://www.gronmayer.com/it) and get the telepathy add-ons for rtcomm without going the beta route.

Two final notes: Nokia should probably strongly consider trying to get existing inventory flashed to OS2008 or some kind of big warning sticker regarding the power on issue. I think a lot of people who are less technical than I am would simply return the device or send it in for repair. This is a pretty lousy first experience. At least it shouldn't be effecting the N810 owners.
I'm surprised that they haven't updated the packaging to a version 2 like they did with the 770 and OS2006.

Regarding my screen? I'm trying to ignore it as best I can. We'll see how I feel in a week.
Fortunately it seems to improve with age, and it's not really noticeable after a week or so of use. Either way, the screen is a lot brighter and clearer than the 770.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
regarding my backlight issue:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Fortunately it seems to improve with age, and it's not really noticeable after a week or so of use. Either way, the screen is a lot brighter and clearer than the 770.
It is a HUGE relief to hear you say that it may improve with age! Thanks very much for posting this. It actually seems to be improving a bit already.

Looking at them side by side, I'd say the 770 is actually slightly sharper. However, the N800 screen is better in so many ways. Color reproduction seems much better (white is white). Also, the touch sensor layer doesn't sparkle on the N800 :-)

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Strangely enough i never had freeze and boot kind of problems, BUT there is a problem with booting if you shutdown the device while it is charging. After that it takes three long power button pushes to get it running (its three every time). If i shutdown it while not connected to the charger, it boots from the first time. That really doesn't bother me (i seldom reboot), so i didn't upgrade to 51-3.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
That's odd.
All I can see is that when you shut down, the RunLevel is shifted from 2 to 5.

I meant if you shutdown during charge and then disconnect the device Shuts down completely.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Doh!

Hehe, my bad. I thought you meant shutting down the device with the charger in. I still get that now actually on 51-3 , the device doesn't fully switch off, I can see the backlight glowing a bit so I just take out the battery.

No, mine shuts down after i disconnect it from the charger (takes some time, maybe 5-10 seconds). It is just difficult to start it after that.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
I'll agree that the 770s physical factor was light year + orders of magnitude better than either the 800 or 810.

I came very close to getting the 770 over the 800 but the weird SD card ended up being the deciding factor.

Don''t know about OS releases before what came with the 800 but the first one seemed to be pretty decent (2007?) but the later releases sure seem to be the flakiest versions of linux I have ever seen :-(.
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Originally Posted by wv9k View Post
I'll agree that the 770s physical factor was light year + orders of magnitude better than either the 800 or 810.
This REALLY became apparent me today. I had the N800 in its soft case and in my inside jacket pocket. While getting my 16 month-old out of the car, I grabbed my jacket (apparently upside down). Out flew the N800, sans soft case (I guess it slipped right out). Onto the garage floor it went. I was incredibly lucky in the way it hit the concrete, and only a minor scuff is visible.

I guess I will need to buy an aftermarket case that really "encases" the unit. I always hate doing this, as they almost always interfere with operation or form factor.

I'm amazed Nokia would abandon the elegant aluminum slider case concept; which I believe someone once demo'd by flinging across the room? It sure kept my 770 safe, and I'm already having problems on day 1 with the lack of protection. I'm sure it was simply a cost saving measure. Those of you with small children will understand how easily these things can happen.

Last edited by mk500; 2008-04-10 at 22:12. Reason: noticed more damage and updated