Ok, I bought the one from Ebay, although instead of the black one I decided for the silver one.

It arrived very quickly (~5 or 6 days), very nice packing and good quality. In general I think it is a very good value.

It is very lightweight and it fits confortable in my pants pockets, although I haven't tested it with denim jeans and I remember that the N810 was a little tight there.

To clarify it does not come with any belt clip, and I think they have updated the ebay page.

It comes with the plastic protection for the screen but not for the camera, no big deal.

I have had mine for a week or two.

EDIT: I got it from Amazon for 29.99. It came within 5 days

I like that you can have the keyboard exposed while it is in the case and open.

All the regular buttons are exposed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TerryGecko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Silicon Valley
I've had my case for two weeks now. A bit more info that hasn't been mentioned:
  • The case cover latch works very well and can be bent slightly to loosen it or make it tighter. I can hand it to my 1 year old with internet radio playing and the buttons locked and she'll never get it opened.
  • The screen cover will get very scratched easily. I'm still reading lots of ebooks with the case on and closed, but bright sunlight really reveals just how many scratches I've got on it already. Nonetheless, this clear screen protector will prove very handy when there is an appointment notification alarm appearing on your screen with an audible alert and you don't have to open the case to view it. I can dream, can't I?
  • Sound is is clear and not muffled while the N810 is in the case.
  • I'm a big tall guy and have no problem fitting the N810 with this case in my jeans or dress slacks front pocket.
  • If you happen to carry a small cell phone in the same pocket as this case, it will get very scratched up. The hinges and clasp both have sharp edges; not enough to cut skin, but enough to scratch anything they rub against.
  • It's very easy to get the N810 out of the case once it's opened, yet it will not fall out of the case. It's a perfect compromise/balance IMHO.
  • The black case is as you'd suspect, a painted silver case. While the paint isn't flaking off or anything, it has scratched off in several places. I like the black look better, but I foresee a silver case in my future.

Having used multiple metal cases through 12 years worth of various Palm o/s devices, this is a very good one and I'm glad I waited for it. I love the size of the N810 and was a big selling point to me; this case follows the "keep it as small as possible" mantra. The only negative I'd like to see improved in the next version is softer edges on the hinges. Otherwise I'm very happy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to speednut For This Useful Post:
I received my case today, and overall I agree with the other positive assessments.

There were two things that I didn't like about it:
  • there is no access to the USB port
  • the "kickstand" is blocked, which means that the case must rest flat when on a desk

I decided that I'll keep the N810 in the case almost permanently, so I've made the following modifications:
  • removed the kickstand from the tablet (exposing the USB port). This requires an #4 Torx driver. I stored the left-side kickstand screw in the tablet itself, by screwing it back into the tablet.
  • Cut a hole in the PDAir case to allow access to the USB port. This took about 15 minutes with a set of jewler's files....the case aluminum is very soft and thin.
  • Once the kickstand was removed, the tablet was quite loose inside the case, so I added a very thin strip of neoprene padding inside the case to fill the area normally occupied by the kickstand.
  • On the right side of the case, I cut a hole that aligns with the screw hole for the right side of the kickstand. I replaced the kickstand screw with a slightly longer one (~1mm longer) from an eyeglass repair kit, allowing me to mechanically bolt the case and tablet together, instead of relying just on the tension from the neoprene to hold the tablet inside the case.

I doubt that I'll modify the hinges myself, but a simple redesign in manufacturing would allow the cover to pivot further open (about 300 degrees, instead of the ~170 degrees that it now opens). This would enable the case to sit on a desk upright, like a capital "A", restoring the function of the missing kickstand.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to z2n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Iowa, USA
I just got mine a couple days ago, and also am impressed with it. I haven't found the lack of kickstand access to be a big deal. I just pull the n810 out of the case and use it. It's not like the case would likely protect the device if it fell while the case was open anyway, or would provide little protection anyway. I really like that keyboard access is very easy with no plastic covering the keys, and that it is both easy to remove and yet doesn't fall out easily when the case is open (although I haven't been willing to give this a true test for obvious reasons). The being able to see the screen for alarms & notices without having to open a case is wonderful. It is also very non-bulky compared to some of the leather alternatives, and compares nicely to the palm T|X in a leather case that I had been used to carrying around (just a tad longer, or I guess wider if you are looking at n810s screen, and no deeper or wider/longer[?]).

I haven't been a fan of hard cases for my many palms because they all seemed to negatively impact usability compared to the leather alternatives. This new hardshell for the n810 has made me a convert, as it now seems that the leather alternatives negatively impact the usability a bit more. The trade off is that the device is less secure in case when open compared to some leather cases. Of course, given many of us have somewhat different priorities and needs than each other, YMMV!

Thanks to all those in this thread who got one and shared their impressions!

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
i agree with grog wish they would make one for the n800...ive always trusted metal cases..this one does look very nice however