Active Topics

First off, No it did not read all 9 pages yet but I feel I need to post this link.

Do coat hangers sound as good as Monster cables?

http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coa...monster-cables

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/03/03...gers-soun.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOFH For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
So I finally got a chance to test things last night in regards to USB audio. First off, with my particular device I needed a USB powered Hub, but I'd kind of figured that since the card I was using had a built in FM transmitter that I imagine draws a fair amount of juice (it goes up to like 200 feet sort of thing, so). Secondly, the stock kernel does not have the usb-audio module compiled into it, so that needs to be compiled and loaded up; shouldn't be too difficult to do, I'll see what I can pull together in the next few days if nobody else has one pre-compiled and lying around (anyone ask Fanoush about this? He seems to have all of the kernel modules under the sun lying around somewhere...). The most unusual part though... without the usb-audio kernel module loaded, the kernel seems to think my device is a HID and tries to attach it to an input event! I really hope that the USB audio module will override this behaviour as I've never seen it on any other kernel before!

-Rob
Sounds good. Keep us posted.

So I finally got a chance to test things last night in regards to USB audio. First off, with my particular device I needed a USB powered Hub, but I'd kind of figured that since the card I was using had a built in FM transmitter that I imagine draws a fair amount of juice (it goes up to like 200 feet sort of thing, so). Secondly, the stock kernel does not have the usb-audio module compiled into it, so that needs to be compiled and loaded up; shouldn't be too difficult to do, I'll see what I can pull together in the next few days if nobody else has one pre-compiled and lying around (anyone ask Fanoush about this? He seems to have all of the kernel modules under the sun lying around somewhere...). The most unusual part though... without the usb-audio kernel module loaded, the kernel seems to think my device is a HID and tries to attach it to an input event! I really hope that the USB audio module will override this behaviour as I've never seen it on any other kernel before!

-Rob
Thanks Rob for looking into this!

I look forward connecting my Corda Move and Yuin PK1 to my N800 and listen to my jazz FLAC files.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
"next few days" = now? :3

-Rob
Rob: While I've hedged my bet a bit by just purchasing a dac that can accommodate all three types of digital input -- coax, optical and usb -- it's the usb working with the Nokia that I'm particularly pulling for as that will provide me the greatest portability (especially using your adapter).

Let me also add my thanks for your efforts -- and wishes for success! Regards Jim

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Well I managed to get all of the USB audio Kernel modules off of Fanoush on the weekend (He'd already compiled them, I was just looking in the older version of the tar that didn't have the right ones); according to him usb audio works but he hasn't been able to get the ALSA setup to actually direct audio out to the USB device instead of just using the internal audio hardware. Unfortuantely for my particular device it turns out I needed a powered USB hub in order to get it going, and I'd forgotten mine at the office so didn't have a chance to test it again and duplicate Fanoush's results, but I'll take another crack at it tonight. If that's the case then it shouldn't be too difficult to get going...

The other thread related to this topic is over here btw (Thanks for pointing it out Fanoush!)
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=16952&page=2

-Rob

cool, another step closer. I am probably going to buy an ALIEN this week just to practice soldering before I get into more serious DIY audio stuff.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Hmmm well unfortunately I still get the same strange result here with my USB sound card... it seems to be detected as a DAC by the USB info I can gather, but it also seems to want to show up as HID device (it doesn't even have any buttons on it, so I don't know where the tablet is getting that idea from!). Anyways, no new devices in /dev like there are on any other linux machine I've ever plugged the thing into, so if anyone else has another card/device to try hopefully there will be better luck, 'cause it just plain doesn't like mine at all!

-Rob

what are you using?

Hmmm well unfortunately I still get the same strange result here with my USB sound card... it seems to be detected as a DAC by the USB info I can gather, but it also seems to want to show up as HID device (it doesn't even have any buttons on it, so I don't know where the tablet is getting that idea from!). Anyways, no new devices in /dev like there are on any other linux machine I've ever plugged the thing into, so if anyone else has another card/device to try hopefully there will be better luck, 'cause it just plain doesn't like mine at all!

-Rob
Rob: Maybe we're all going have to wait for this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/te...th&oref=slogin

In any case, as I trust we're all aware, a usb-channeled music stream has its own problems -- as reported and discussed (possibly ad nauseam) in hundreds of recent postings on the Head-Fi forum. I'm currently struggling with getting a good enough signal via usb on my desktop and laptop computers utilizing my newly-acquired dac, which as I reported earlier can accommodate optical, coaxial and usb.

Anyway, Rob, if you or anyone else can make the N8X0 work in this regard, you'll have my and others' appreciation. (Wonder if the newly-announced update yesterday to the N8X0 operating system will improve the possibilities at all.)