Active Topics

OK... somebody can correct me if I am wrong... but I have been looking into java applet support so I could potentially use the citrix java client. I have looked at SUN's PhoneME, and it looks nice, but I don't think it is OS2008 yet, plus there is no mention of applet support.

So after some googling, I found this gcjappletviewer stuff that warranted more investigation. As it ends up, there was/is a project that was actually called gcjwebplugin, but has since been moved into GNU Classpath. This gcjwebplugin is a plugin for browsers to load embedded java applets. I did a little more searching, and found some people trying to use JamVM, with GNU Classpath to load applets on there mobile devices (not nokia), but it all seemed pretty experimental. Because of it's experimental nature, and the fact people were having difficulties even getting it to work on a supposedly supported platform, I abandoned that too.

So I came searching here, and found several mentions of Jalimo, so I thought I would check that out. As it ends up Jalimo is pretty much a port of JamVM and GNU Classpath with a distribution specifically for os2008!!!! Nice!!! Sure enough, after browsing Jalimo SVN, it appears that the gcjwebplugin existis within Jalimo. Very interesting!!!!

Now here comes the caveat... I am unfortunately WAY to busy with stuff I get paid to do right now, so I don't have alot of time to experiment myself. Plus, despite my programming background, I am still relatively new to my os2008 n800. So here is hoping someone with time and drive may experiment with such functionality themselves for the "good of the community"

I haven't had time to mess with jalimo yet, but with Sun java, you can run plugins without a web browser. If that functionality is in jalimo, it should work; it's probably more suited to citrix anyway (less screen overhead), and it could (with some work) be interfaced to the webbrowser, so click where an applet belongs, and the plugin opens in a standalone window.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
As rwzeitgeist says, there's no version of ITOS which ships with Java support.

The web browser in OS2008 is a Gecko-based browser, similar to Firefox 3; so fully supports JavaScript. However, apart from a similarity of syntax there is no commonality between JavaScript and Java.

Jalimo can be used to run Java SE applications, using SWT as a GUI toolkit and this is making good progress. Even without using the Jazelle extensions supported by the CPU, apart from start-up time, it's not as slow as I was expecting in use.

There are no browser plugins which hook into Jalimo or similar to provide Java applet support in the browser, as far as I'm aware.
I am unable to logon to one web site for an online newspaper with the N810, OS2008 browser, but I can logon to any other web site.

You mentioned that the N810 browser is similiar to Firefox 3.
Could my problem be because the web site does not support Firefox 3? They do support firefox browsers because I can logon from a Firefox browser from a Windows PC.

@ytechie
Unlikely unless it requires activeX (IE). Although Java is not supported in OS200X so that's a possibility. MicroB is not the only browser available for OS2008 though, try Tear for instance. I use Tear for Google Maps, some Facebook functions, and certain forums. If you provided a link we could do some tests (a peek at the source should suffice). I guess it might even require Flash 10. Of course your post was vague so maybe the page isn't even loading (DNS?).

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ytechie View Post
I am unable to logon to one web site for an online newspaper
Please do not post in several threads. This is dealt with already in
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30955