Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
So, are you saying we should evaluate software differently just because it is free? The OP has gripes with the map management and UI of Maemo Mapper, but you don't address that, you attack him for criticising Gnuite's program. It seems to me you're doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing: Attacking the person and not the issue.
i say yes, we should
free means nobody was paid, that what your getting was out of somebodys goodwill, freetime, after work, and everything else, they are really just for others, given out of goodwill alone. well maybe they wanted it themselves, but still, free things, at lease Gnuite in my mind (that kind of thing at least) should be held in higher respect than something like, well whatever you may be comparing it to, when you say it's crap
just my 2 cents

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
So, are you saying we should evaluate software differently just because it is free?
No, but coming out and spewing vitriol and hyperbole all over the place helps nobody, and strikes me as an incredibly immature and rude thing to do. If you have an issue with a free application, put together something constructive, and help it become better—don't lambast them for trying.

The OP has gripes with the map management and UI of Maemo Mapper . . .
Which is fine, but being a immature punk and having issues with the UI are two different things.

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston, texas
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
being a immature punk
The irony of this statement is killing me. Nothing's more immature or punkish that resorting to name calling on the internet.

I have an iPhone and I like it quite a bit - nice browser, sleek, sexy. Frankly though as a phone it kinda sucks. So in that respect Apple is not Nokia and never will be. And some of the unofficial iphone progs out there kinda suck too. So does alot of windows freeware. But until I can do better or contribute as the maemo community does I'm not going to complain. Everything has issues when starting out. It's only through iteration and *constructive* criticism they get better. That's really what this whole experiment is about , in terms of the n8XX, linux and the internet.

It's kind of strange really - the iPhone is much more polished but I find myself drawn here instead of apple sites. I guess watching someone build a hotrod in their garage ( and someday maybe being able to help ) is just more interesting to me than staring at a new Accord on the lot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anderbr For This Useful Post:
Here's how I look at it:

1. The Internet Tablet is still not (yet!) for everyone.
2. For the majority, the Internet Tablet is what it is -- a mobile device with a high resolution screen that can connect to the internet
3. Majority don't upgrade the firmware, install apps, nor heard of maemo.org or itT.
4. The IT OS has evolved and is continuously evolving.
5. The design is not perfect but it is improving.

Here's what I hope will happen... actually, believe that will happen:

1. More features will be added -- more built-in and bundled third party apps. Think of what can you do with a device that is always online.
2. There will be a major interface overhaul. Have you all seen the interface of the upcoming MIDs? Actually, if Im not mistaken, the MID OS is Maemo (Maemo-based distro) underneath. IT OS can do better.
3. IT hardware design will improve -- similar to how the N95 received a design upgrade with the N96
4. New ways to distribute / purchase / subscribe to apps
5. IT users will be more united.

I am really excited to see what the IT can become. As someone who believes on the IT, I wish I can help more to make it succeed.

Be positive guys, and be more patient.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Gee, thanks a lot anderbr and Reggie. Throw a dose of sober reality on the thread, just as it was heating up my popcorn...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cashless View Post
This is corny. Some of the posters could grow up a little. That goes for the thread starter as well as some of the commentor.

I'm primarily a Mac user at home, and a windows user/technician for work. Every OS has it's pros and cons. I personally have come to love and use my N800 (and linux, I suppose) over any other OS/computer that I own. Even so, there are many aspects of it that could vastly be improved that I don't think that the developer community puts a priority on. That statement can be applied to ANY OS. Fine by me, take some of the good with the bad.

Basically everyone's **** stinks, you're just better off when you admit it.
This guy gets it, this applies to a lotta things, Apple is propitiatory, but polished. Nokia is (mostly) open source w/ the IT's, but has MUCH more capabilities for the community.

Just do with what fits you, nobody is gonna change their development course because you won't develop yourself the programs YOU want.

This is why i am learning basic python, ruby, and perl all at once. They all have pros and cons, and are somewhat similar is a diverse number of aspects.

Don't limit yourself to what people say you can do - get things to work how you wanna make them work, otherwise your just compromising yourself to be unhappy with what you got.

BTW i think im gonna buy a n800 - price, and utility since its more functional except for gps, keyboard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scumgrief For This Useful Post:
Keep your cool guys. It's ok to speak your heart out, but be on topic and not be personal. If you feel like saying something negative about another member, don't. It just won't do any good for the discussion and for the community.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Nokia is not Apple and will never be
Thank goodness for that!

But don't stand there and tell people who are using things that they're unusable.
Yeah, thank God for that.

Sorry, but I'm not for the proprietary, locked shtick that Apple chugs out of their crap-factories. Two years ago, it was extremely painful to get music to an iPod reliably from something that wasn't Windows or Mac. It's still painful whenever a new generation of iPods is release as they compulsively break compatibility forcing extra hacking for those that put up with their locked product line. Seriously, why not just stick with the standard? Oh yeah, it's too convenient.

As far as I'm concerned, Apple's products are totally unusable.

The Following User Says Thank You to Navi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Chicago, IL
Just to let you know, the Internet Tablet is pretty unknown to lot of savvy people out there. Just so you know, two of my best friends who work in IT had never heard of Nokia tablet. Even though I consider them Unix gurus. the IT tablets will take some time to be shown to people, and it will take sometime to get talented people over, and to port / develop application (so yes Nokia shortcoming on that side).

But that aside, like the many people said in this forum... the IT tablet is not for everyone. I was torn also for weeks to decide which of the two was for me ... should I go for the "cooler" ipod/iphone and it's SDK with the controlled environment imposed by Steve Jobs and co. Or go with the open environment IT Tablet, and basically the freedom of using open source type application.

But yes, there are not 10 calendar applications, or 10 video applications or that, but it's not meant to be a device like that... otoh, you can expect lot of apps to be flowing into Apple because of the way it is marketed to the maintstream, and the backing of the game companies, and others... so yes, I do think Iphone/Ipod will soon have lots and lots of applications, but do I want that... no

Also trying to bring best mapping software to OS 2008 is a bit of stretch, because it will never happen. I think Wayfinder is the best you could find in it, and I totally can bet that no other apps will be developed as nice, unless Nokia would try to bring Nokia maps from it's mobile phone to the tablet and I have not heard anything.

I actually understand the OP, because I was in his same shoes (before of course) buying the tablet, because I did my math and figured out what would or would not be available... but I am pretty happy

Houman

Closed Thread