I have read the forums for sometime now and with the new OS updates and small patches available I need to know something.

For those of you that have a pocket PC (Axim, IPAQ, etc.) what would make you choose one over the other?

I am on the boarder line here since the Axim has VGA (640x480), wifi, etc. and the Nokia has wifi, 800x600. When I consider the speed and memory though I an leaning to the Axim, but the 800X600 non-Windows OS really has me intreged.

Any thoughts from those with experience is most appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to mshideler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Originally Posted by mshideler
I have read the forums for sometime now and with the new OS updates and small patches available I need to know something.

For those of you that have a pocket PC (Axim, IPAQ, etc.) what would make you choose one over the other?

I am on the boarder line here since the Axim has VGA (640x480), wifi, etc. and the Nokia has wifi, 800x600. When I consider the speed and memory though I an leaning to the Axim, but the 800X600 non-Windows OS really has me intreged.

Any thoughts from those with experience is most appreciated.
its only 800x480

The new OS (in beta) makes it feel a bit snappier, and there is an option to extend virtual memory onto the MMC. You're best just going to a CompUSA to comare a pocket PC to a N770 but the reality is if you're looking for a web browser, the 770 is where its at, if you're looking for a PDA with syncing ability, its not.

I would love to test a 770 at Comp USA, but in Boise, every time I go in to see if there is one on display the guy goes to the back and brings me one in a box.

I guess they don't think that they need to display one next to the wall of PDAs/Phones that are usable for testing. Seems like they have about 40 different handhelds except that one.

I will just keep checking and maybe I will get to use one.

Thanks for the reply. Any other comments are appreciated.

From what I've read, most apps on the Axim don't run in VGA mode; they're mostly emulated QVGA on the VGA screen.

phi is mostly correct. The 770 isn't a PDA; it's a mobile terminal/internet access device. Great for viewing ebooks or browsing the web or as a tiny remote frontend to VNC or whatever, but the PDA side of it is very weak, and the catalog of apps that run on it (prepackaged) is tiny compared to WinCE or Palm.

Now, potentially, tens of thousands of programs can run on the 770; they just have to be packaged up for it.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I have an iPAQ HX4700 - it has a 640x480 screen. It sat in a drawer, collecting dust until the other week when I upgraded it to WM5. Shortly afterwards, I put it back in the drawer to collect more dust (WM5 is rubbish, particularly on the HX4700).

The 770 goes with me everywhere. It's more usable than the HX4700 ever was, not forgetting how many hacks and registry changes are required to make a Windows Mobile device work more or less sensibly.

The trouble with Windows Mobile on "high" resolution displays (I use the term loosely when compared to a 770) is that the most apps don't natively support the extra resolution - heck, the OS doesn't even support the extra resolution, it just makes everything look nicer. Here's an interesting article which explains why Windows Mobile is the way it is.

It's shocking how truly rubbish Windows Mobile really is - Nokia have a great opportunity with the 770 (and follow on devices) to steal some market share from Microsoft.

I love all the feedback. Keep it coming.

I need a users group in my area so I can see how real people use one so if you are in Boise and know of something let me know.

I will keep stopping into Comp USA, but playing with one while some sales people ignore me won't get me much, I don't think.

We'll see.

I agree with everything Milhouse said. The nokia 770 doesn't seem much slower than the hx4700 either.
The hx4700 will be a little more fun as familiar linux matures though. The next version of familiar will have nearly full support for the hx4700. Hopefully tapioca can be ported to familiar shortly after they release the internet tablet version.
But still, if I could go back in time, I would just get the Nokia 770.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by mshideler
I will just keep checking and maybe I will get to use one.

Thanks for the reply. Any other comments are appreciated.
I spent quite a bit of time analyzing this issue. For years I had a Palm TC and even bought a T|X thinking it was my 'next step'. It wasn't. What enraged me about the T|X was that it would not DUN to my Verizon V3c phone. The 770 does it almost automatically when it cannot find a Wi-Fi source. That is one of the features I had to have. As phi pointed out, a web browser it is, a PDA it is not.

I was looking for a superlight travel replacement for my laptop. Yes, it is that--way beyond what the Axim would have been: but I use Macs, so the Unix-based OS was like home. The 770 is great for everything I need with the exception of the video player--it truly sucks out loud. For me, it is just barely useable (movies on flights), but that could change dramatically if someone ports TCPMP over.

So, last word: if you really, really, really need a strong PDA (contacts and schedule database functions as well as seamless syncing), then steer clear. If you want the first of the low-cost and fully functional UMPC's that are not Windoze drones, then the Nokia is for you.