Active Topics

If you don't mind relaying through an extra server, here is how you can your AIM contacts onto Google Talk.

Check out this tutorial on how to do it: http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/go...msn-yahoo.html

*NOTE*: The AIM server on that page, ursine.ca, didn't seem to work for me. Instead I connected to jabber.anywise.com and registered the AIM Transport from there. I'm sure there are more servers with AIM transports on them. Thats just the one I used.

I now can talk to people on AIM using the 770's Google Talk.

Last edited by mike9285; 2006-06-10 at 20:02.

I keep getting an "Authentication Error! Incorrect username or password." However, I know for sure that my details are correct. Have tried a multitude of servers and get the same response, yet can log into aim express or directly into ichat for example. Any ideas?

Worked fine for me, except all of my relayed MSN contacts show up as offline. I can still chat with them just fine though. I too had to use anywise.com.

Was anyone able to get ursine.ca working?

Also, do the aim contacts show up as online in Google Talk? When using Psi, the aim contacts can come up in my list as online, away, and offline. In Google Talk they always come up as offline but you can still send messages to them.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
I added a little step-by-step tutorial on the wiki page. Does it matter which server you're using?

I used this list http://www.xmpp.net/bycountry.shtml to find a working US transport server which bgmn.net is working for me. Anyone know of a way to access an AIM hosted chat room? User created room on top of that. Likewise my aim buddys arent showing if they are online or not.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Cumberland Center, Maine, USA
I did this earlier, here's how:
http://www.jabber.org/user/userguide/ , sections 3, 5, 12, 13. For section 12 I used prolly.org.

I think i'll just wait for someone to port gaim

So has anyone gotten AIM contacts to show up online? I linked my Google talk account to my aim account and all shows up offline... Kind of curious if setting up another jabber account and having it linked to aim will work anybetter... anyone tried this? I would, but I am off to a movie.

Same problem with jabber. I think there not coming up as online because Google Talk on the 770 is only connecting to the google server and not to the aim transport service, so it can't pull each contacts status.