Active Topics

Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
/var/log/syslog

could be useful. It is a logfile from the standard installed simple-syslog-daemon.

Better would be to install klogd and sysklogd from developer mode. Maybe klogd is enough and would be easier(no need to remove simple-syslog-daemon).
But as you can't install on the mounted partition, they need to be extracted and I don't know if something like this is possible because of this aegis thing. Which also stopped me to work more with harmattan.

Edit: Maybe open-mode kernel could be of help.
/var/log is empty and I'm not able to install any packages because the device odesn't boot up and I can't access it via serial console.

The Following User Says Thank You to dattelfisch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by dattelfisch View Post
/var/log is empty and I'm not able to install any packages because the device odesn't boot up and I can't access it via serial console.
Maybe it is empty because of flashing the device or it needs to be mounted differently on some other partition.
But I guess the device reboots before simple syslog is started anyway.

In this case a serial console would be the best to see the boot messages (but this counts for N9 maybe the pins are on the same/similar location):

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Yes (you can find the rx tx pin locations in leaked schematics), yes (flasher --set-rd-flags=serial-console) and yes (115200 8N1 hardware flow control: no). But you need to do some extensive research and soldering skills to get it working. So the answer is that 99.99% of people are not able to do so.

Last edited by Halftux; 2019-06-06 at 20:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I've tried the newest ubiboot ("zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_23032018"), too but it doesn't make any difference.
Maybe the N950 can't be accessed via serial console over USB?
Even though I myself never used ubiboot on N950 since I had none to try it with, I know it works OK also on it. (There are multiple persons who reported to me it works OK)

When you ubiboot it, are there any error messages in green text regarding setting up the IP or telnetd?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Even though I myself never used ubiboot on N950 since I had none to try it with, I know it works OK also on it. (There are multiple persons who reported to me it works OK)

When you ubiboot it, are there any error messages in green text regarding setting up the IP or telnetd?
I can't see any green text on the N950. The screen keeps being black (but illuminated). The kernel flashes and the device comes up. It shows an IP and the network device is up as ifconfig says.

But I can't connect to it via telnet...it's very frustrating.

Last edited by dattelfisch; 2019-06-07 at 18:12. Reason: error

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@dattelfish
regarding the green text: did you have an USB cable connected to a PC when powering up?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
@dattelfish
regarding the green text: did you have an USB cable connected to a PC when powering up?
I suppose so; as without there'd not be exporting the device filesystems for mounting either

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I can't see any green text on the N950. The screen keeps being black (but illuminated). The kernel flashes and the device comes up. It shows an IP and the network device is up as ifconfig says.

But I can't connect to it via telnet...it's very frustrating.
Actually having no text could be a symptom of something; could be the display or display controller is broken?

Actually now as I think of it the display controller might be different from what's used on N9 and hence in theory it could be possible that ubiboot only has the driver for N9 and it would not work. However other people have managed to use it so I don't think this is the case.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Actually having no text could be a symptom of something; could be the display or display controller is broken?

Actually now as I think of it the display controller might be different from what's used on N9 and hence in theory it could be possible that ubiboot only has the driver for N9 and it would not work. However other people have managed to use it so I don't think this is the case.
How could I check if the display or the display controller is broken?
I mean it shows the Nokia-logo on startup...

Maybe the hardware revision is too old for the firmwares I tried.
I read something about "B1-revision" until HW revision ~0724 an that these devised are not compatible with PR1.2 and PR1.3 releases.

How could I check if the display or the display controller is broken?
I mean it shows the Nokia-logo on startup...

Maybe the hardware revision is too old for the firmwares I tried.
I read something about "B1-revision" until HW revision ~0724 an that these devised are not compatible with PR1.2 and PR1.3 releases.
Maybe, it could also be useful to access the device directly via the RX/TX pins?

Well yes, for reviving a dead device it is a good thing to get to the serial console.