One con of using the iphone sdk is that you can't sell/distribute your app.
http://www.tuaw.com/2008/03/14/iphon...-mass-mailing/

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
If you're going to develop on Linux

. . . there was a though I was gonna finish here this morning that I've now forgotten, so . . . if you're going to develop on Linux, then YEAH!
Hehe. I used to develop linux software. Well, not strictly true, I ported some VTC software from solaris to linux back in 1998/9, so it wasn't really a development.

They have two places. http://maemo.org/ (which is primarily targetted at developers), and http://forum.nokia.com/ what more do you want?
some part of nokias web page pointing to maemo.org?

This sounds like more of a case of arguing on incomplete information than a useful discussion of the SDK.
Since when has documentation not been a part of an SDK? There is no SDK that I can think of that would be that much use without documentation, so I think it is a useful discussion of an SDK.
One of the problems with open source software in general is the documentation, as lets face it, it is boring to write documentation, and noone becomes a programmer to write documentation, but it really does have to be done. I hate writing it at work, but it is part of the job I am paid for, so I do it. Without the money I would still write the code, but I wouldn't do the documents.

Of note: I've been a Mac user all my life, and I heard about Python sometime around 2002. Your experience isn't necessarily typical of most Mac developers.
Neither of us know what is typical of most mac developers, or developers in general (as I know orders of magnitudes more windows developers than mac developers) and I never said my experience was typical, just that I don't know many developers that know about python, and I know none that actively use it.

I haven't been a mac user all my life as I was several computers in before the mac was even thought of and the mac was not very big in the UK before the 90s.

Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
I would imagine that the mainstream programmer, picking up a nokia internet tablet wouldn't want to go the python route and I daresay that most of them would have never heard of python.
Honestly, I can't imagine even a halfway competent "mainstream pogrammer" not knowing that there's a language called python.

The Following User Says Thank You to JeffElkins For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
some part of nokias web page pointing to maemo.org?
These all contain links to maemo.org:

http://www.nokiausa.com/A4686323
http://www.nokiausa.com/A4626061
http://www.nokiausa.com/A4410958

Since when has documentation not been a part of an SDK? There is no SDK that I can think of that would be that much use without documentation, so I think it is a useful discussion of an SDK.
Like I said, maemo.org.

My point was that your positions all seemed to be based on an acute lack of personal education on the subject of the SDK and maemo. It's worthwhile to make sure you have a decent understanding of something before you start spouting off about it.

Neither of us know what is typical of most mac developers, or developers in general (as I know orders of magnitudes more windows developers than mac developers) . . .
Exactly my point.

. . . and I never said my experience was typical, just that I don't know many developers that know about python, and I know none that actively use it.
How, exactly, is this not implying that not knowing about Python is typical? "Most of them" is generally synonymous with "typically".

I would imagine that the mainstream programmer, picking up a nokia internet tablet wouldn't want to go the python route and I daresay that most of them would have never heard of python.

Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Honestly, I can't imagine even a halfway competent "mainstream pogrammer" not knowing that there's a language called python.
Really? Or is that a comment because I made a spelling mistake?
Or do you mean that as so many mainstream software applications are written in python they everyone must know?
Well, sorry, I know many very competent programmers that don't know there is a language called python. If you are a successful c++ programmer, why would python matter to you?

These all contain links to maemo.org:

http://www.nokiausa.com/A4686323
http://www.nokiausa.com/A4626061
http://www.nokiausa.com/A4410958
Fair comment. I have never looked at nokiausa so I don't know. I only ever look at nokia.com or nokia.co.uk, the usa one is a bit irrelevant to me.

My point was that your positions all seemed to be based on an acute lack of personal education on the subject of the SDK and maemo. It's worthwhile to make sure you have a decent understanding of something before you start spouting off about it.
That is entirely my point though. You know about it so it is really obvious to you. I know where it is after spending time looking at it so that is fair enough as well. The point is that you have to develop this decent understanding of how to find something to be able to find it. With the microsoft SDK or the apple SDKs you don't need that level of knowledge to find it.

Do you have to have done some zen like travel to be worthy to program for maemo, and if so is that a good business model?

From your point of view, the documentation is easily available as you know where it is, and that the part of the documentation you want to use is valid so yes, I can see that you would think it is great. To me the documentation isnt even possible to follow in its current form, so even if it was obvious to find it is a bit irrelevant as you would have to find someone else to ask how to really install the software, or do what I did originally, spend several days trial and error installing something.

Some of the most imaginative programmers I have ever met were not good at setting up sdks. If you have to rely on the worthy few who know how to fiddle around with something until it works, you have a tendancy to get a load of software produced that is a bit fiddly to use. Geeks love that sort of software. Normal people really dont.
It depends if you want a hobby platform or a mainstream platform.

How, exactly, is this not implying that not knowing about Python is typical? "Most of them" is generally synonymous with "typically".
Sorry - I really don't get you. How can you get from the people I know not knowing about something to something being typical? 'Most of them' is synonymous with 'typical' amoungst the people who I know. I never said or implied that the people I know are representative of software engineers. I would have no way of knowing that.

If you are a successful c++ programmer, why would python matter to you?
You can use python to glue together components written c++ and quickly whip up a prototype. And it is the hip language du jour. Or is it Ruby now?

Are you a successful c++ programmer? Erm, if so why are u worried about others maybe not wanting to use python?

i agree with iamthe walrus its pretty useful modern language thats interpretive and easy to use with modern standards/apis/guis.

Last edited by pipeline; 2008-03-15 at 19:58.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
iPod haven't got Romulan to Klingon converter?! Why the hell do we need this crap?!

Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
Are you a successful c++ programmer? Erm, if so why are u worried about others maybe not wanting to use python?
I guess I am successfully in that I make a pretty good living at it, although I do more c# and xslt.
I am not worried if someone wants to use python that is fine, just that when I was looking for how to do c++ on maemo I just got lots of people telling me I could do python instead.

Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
i agree with iamthe walrus its pretty useful modern language thats interpretive and easy to use with modern standards/apis/guis.
I am sure it is. i was somewhat unimpressed when I went to install python 2.5 and it told me I had to uninstall all python applications first.