Active Topics

Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
Will the AMOLED be sunlight readable like the N900's transflective screen?
No, AMOLED works in a completely different way than LCDs like the N900's screen. Instead of changing how intense color filters are, it's essentially millions of tiny lights that turn brighter or darker to display their pixel. Sunlight can illuminate a LCD if there's a mirror behind it, because the LCD filters the light as it goes through, and then comes out again (this is why color LCDs are so dim in reflected sunlight, because they filter the light twice). But sunlight doesn't help with AMOLEDs - though usually they are bright enough to be clearly visible in sunlight, they are readable despite the sunlight not because of it.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Also the Nokia N9 featured clear black technology. This is a clever trick with polarization, which essentially blocks all reflected sunlight in the display. Converting it to heat.
In detail explained here.

It works quite well (of course not perfect), but has the disadvantage, that the display heats up very fast in sunlight.

I guess modern AMOLED displays use this too? I never checked.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
After reading the posts about the screen size and AMOLED, I've realized something: Are you guys living in a cave!?

Like seriously.... Haven't you guys seen any device with an AMOLED screen before!? And about the screen ratio as well....

Seems like you guys are stuck in the past.... It's almost 2019..!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
After reading the posts about the screen size and AMOLED, I've realized something: Are you guys living in a cave!?

Like seriously.... Haven't you guys seen any device with an AMOLED screen before!? And about the screen ratio as well....

You do realise where you are right? on the website for people still using n900s.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Prague
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
You do realise where you are right? on the website for people still using n900s.
Lol, I just bought new N900 and I am pleased as punch with it!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to glo-worm For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Does that change any facts that I say?
You do realize that I am here since 2009 and even a moderator...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave

I don't care much about screen technology, even so I don't like the oversaturated colours of AMOLEDs. And I still miss the precise input possibility of the resitistive N900 Screen. (Please Chen give me a stylus)

But regarding screen size and aspect ratio I care a lot.
And sometimes sitting in a cave seems to be not the worst place, because new is not automatically better. I'm also on maemo.org since 2009 but the pockets of my trousers hasn't changed to much (the same applies to the size of my hands) since then. So the over all size of a phone is a very important point for me. Regarding aspect ratio: what is gained with 2:1? Most content where a larger screen is of relevance comes in 16:9 or even 4:3 or even 3:2: Movies and pictures.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I don't care much about screen technology, even so I don't like the oversaturated colours of AMOLEDs. And I still miss the precise input possibility of the resitistive N900 Screen. (Please Chen give me a stylus)

But regarding screen size and aspect ratio I care a lot.
And sometimes sitting in a cave seems to be not the worst place, because new is not automatically better. I'm also on maemo.org since 2009 but the pockets of my trousers hasn't changed to much (the same applies to the size of my hands) since then. So the over all size of a phone is a very important point for me. Regarding aspect ratio: what is gained with 2:1? Most content where a larger screen is of relevance comes in 16:9 or even 4:3 or even 3:2: Movies and pictures.
4:3 Really?!.....

Last edited by HtheB; 2018-12-18 at 10:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
4:3 Really?!..... I don't know what movies you watch, but non of the movies out there nowadays uses 4:3....

ugh... Please go back to the stone age will ya..?
Well, better living in a huge cave, than in your very limited New Age universe. And if you would have read ...and thought about what you have read. You would have seen the the word pictures. Maybe you have already heard of MFT > wikipedia
But maybe these cameras are also from stone age and haven't reached your brave new world yet.

I'm enjoying sitting in my cave eating steak and drinking beer, where you have to eat Tofu Burger and drinking some ginger lime, because all old stuff is evil.

By the way I sometimes watch old movies and guess what: They are most of the time very very good despite the fact, they are not 4K and they are 4:3 and sometimes they even miss colour. Whereas I've seen a lot of crapy 4K, ultrawidescreen, HDR and whatever movies.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit