1. Yes, the USB is digital and the line out is analog.

2. I am not sure what you are referring to. If you are asking about line out vs headphone out, then yes there is a significant difference in quality. If it is lineout vs USB out, it will depend on the quality of the built in DAC. Chances are that it isn't very good, so yes, there will be a significant difference between analog line out and USB.

3. I haven't used either one of them yet(the D2 just came out) but from what I have read about them(yes, on head-fi ) the D2 seems to provide better SQ. It also looks a hell of a lot cooler . I have the iBasso T1(an analog amplifier) and I have been happy with it.

Originally Posted by drizek View Post
1. Yes, the USB is digital and the line out is analog.

2. I am not sure what you are referring to. If you are asking about line out vs headphone out, then yes there is a significant difference in quality. If it is lineout vs USB out, it will depend on the quality of the built in DAC. Chances are that it isn't very good, so yes, there will be a significant difference between analog line out and USB.

3. I haven't used either one of them yet(the D2 just came out) but from what I have read about them(yes, on head-fi ) the D2 seems to provide better SQ. It also looks a hell of a lot cooler . I have the iBasso T1(an analog amplifier) and I have been happy with it.
drizek: Thanks for the further clarification, which is what I supposed (if not completely stated). What I/we are left with at this juncture is a determination of whether the usb port on the N8X0 can be made to work with either of the digitally driven headphone amps we've been discussing. And that answer is presumably now in the hands of someone with either or both of these amps who is able and willing to test it/them with an n8X0. I wait with bated breath.

I, too, would love some hear of someone trying this out. I asked the same thing in January...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14671

Do you already have a predator? Have you tried hooking it up? It *should* be plug and bplay with USB OTG since the usbaudio module is built into the kernel by default.

Nice! Indeed, I do have a Predator... it is the Nokia internet tablet that I am without.

It would still be nice to hear from someone who has actually plugged in a USB DAC to their tablet...

If you send me your predator for a week... or two...or three I can test it out with my tablet and get back to you

Haha I think not, dude. I am throughly in love with this little device. I use it every day with my laptop, and absolutely love its sound. You should see about picking up a Predator or something similar for yourself. Totally worth it -- even with cheaper headphones IMO.

Originally Posted by thread View Post
Nice! Indeed, I do have a Predator... it is the Nokia internet tablet that I am without.

It would still be nice to hear from someone who has actually plugged in a USB DAC to their tablet...
Hey, you guys. By chance I'm going to a Head-Fi Forum meet in Seattle this week-end where I expect a lot of the members will be showing up (and showing off) their USB/DAC portable amplifiers. I plan to bring my Nokia N800 with me in the hopes I can try it out with some of these portable amps and get some expert advice on how to make it work. Will report back if there's any positive results.

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Hey, you guys. By chance I'm going to a Head-Fi Forum meet in Seattle this week-end where I expect a lot of the members will be showing up (and showing off) their USB/DAC portable amplifiers. I plan to bring my Nokia N800 with me in the hopes I can try it out with some of these portable amps and get some expert advice on how to make it work. Will report back if there's any positive results.
I've adapted Mara's hack so that I can switch between OTG and Host through commands in the Extras menu. When I get to the meet I'll hook up to one of the USB amps being demonstrated there and try to play some N800 mp3 music through an external amp. I have a hunch though that this won't be possible without some reworking of Linux in Xterm. Any suggestion along these lines before I make my experiments? I'm not counting on any of the Head-Fi experts being also sufficiently expert enough in Linux (and willing enough) to give me a helping hand.

Here is what you need for usbaudio. Can someone with a dev environment check to see if these options are compiled in the kernel?

Sound card support: To enable USB Audio support 'Sound card support' must be enabled in the kernel. This is necessary to allow your USB Audio device to look like a sound card to Linux.
Generic USB support: Under the 'USB Support' category, select 'Support for USB' I suggest you compile this in using the 'y' option, not as a module. If USB is built directly into the kernel, the support is activated at the early stages of kernel loading, so it's available right at boot time. It's also a good idea to enable the 'Preliminary USB Device Filesystem' and 'Verbose USB Debug Messages' for debugging purposes.
Proper USB host controller support: This is critical to making any USB device work. If your USB controller is part of an Intel or VIA motherboard chipset, choose one of the UHCI drivers (pick one or the other). Any other USB controller falls under the OHCI driver, including iMac, SiS, Compaq and add-in PCI card controllers. Again, compile this in using the 'y' option, not as a module (this take more space in the kernel, but USB is support is available right when the kernel loads).
USB Audio Support: Oddly enough, this is enabled by selecting 'USB Audio support' (amazing, ain't it!). This can be selected as a module and loaded on demand, or compiled directly into the kernel (my machine has it compiled in).