Active Topics

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
I'm planning on giving this a go soon. My device is currently on FP Open 16.09. Is it recommended that I downgrade down to 16.06 before installing the SFOS image?
There's another thread for discussing SailfishOS on Fairphone 2 specifically.

The mer wiki is generally kept pretty up to date and says use 16.06, so I would recommend downgrading.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Thanks, didn't see the other thread...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
For all FP2-Users, who has Fairphone Open 16.06 or 16.07 as base for the Sailfish OS:
Do not upgrade to Fairphone Open 16.08 or 16.09
Both of this versions has an update for the Modem Firmware which solve the Ambient light sensor problem but cause a much higher power consumtion under Sailfish.

Downgrading to 16.07 or 16.06 wouldn't help because this versions doesn't include this Modem Firmware.

Our hero mal- is searching for the solution now, maybe we get some older firmware images from the Fairphone to go back or we hope for 16.10 Version, which will (hopefully) fix it.

So if you didn't upgrades - wait, if you alredy updated (like me and mal-) - you also need to wait. I will inform you here asap.

Last edited by explit; 2016-10-14 at 18:41.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Fairphone Open 16.10 is out.
I modified a flash script a little bit, removed the command

fastboot flash boot boot.img

which will overwrite sailfish kernel.
Anything else is ok. Now testing the battery

Last edited by explit; 2016-10-14 at 23:15.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
[Whine]

Draining battery this much starting to drive me nuts. It is totally
unacceptable If people here ever use solary charging you now why.

IMHO every damn smartphone company should prioritize lowpower over cool UI and similar. We need to save the environment and it is totally craziness when we have to charge a phone one or two times a day.

I know FP2 port of SFOS is not unnofficial supported but many of those reports is probably related to the kernel, modem drivers and so on and also seen on Jolla's so I also blame qualcom

Lets hope latest update of the kernel makes it a bit better, but I don't have much hope No company seem to care and users doesn't seem to care until they start to use solary and realize how much of our daily stuff drains power

Same for laptops batteries and so on

Btw. just a tip use your laptop battery as much as possible and unplug the AC plug. Why? Because if you have the AC plug in all the time you definitivly ruin the battery faster cause of extra heat and so on.

[/Whine]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
About laptops... some of them have a power manager that figures out your usage pattern and if you keep it plugged in permanently, they do not allow charging above a certain threshold.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
About laptops... some of them have a power manager that figures out your usage pattern and if you keep it plugged in permanently, they do not allow charging above a certain threshold.
Ofcourse they don't charge above threshold, no one does, that would lead to fire cause LiPo is dangerous and temperature critical.

What I mean is battery need to be discharged and keep AC constantly plugged in is plain wrong. It is better let the battery discharge and recharge and disconnect AC from socket when fully charged.

Because when the battery is full AC adapters constantly drains power even if "not used".

There is a reason mobile phones tell you to "disconnect power from socket" when disconnect USB cable from mobiles/tablets. Same goes for laptop adapters and so on.

There are plenty of places people could save power in home. But since price of electric bills in many countries seems to be to low no one seems to care. Same goes for companies. Today's mobile OS:es is crap. No one customer seems to care they just accept that the have to recharge they tablets every day.

Another example is: Wi-Fi routers. I turn it of on at night...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Silly bombom, as my daughter would say. That threshold is around the 50% mark for the use pattern as mentioned (permanently on mains).

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Here is a workaround for the Fairphone 2 Battery drain Problem:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/use-of...55/31?u=explit

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
My solution to the laptop battery issue: let it charge up, then just pull the battery. can't over charge, don't have to worry what the management software is doing.

only trouble is some laptops don't have removable batteries or won't run without them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, fair phone, fairphone2