Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What's the positive suprices Jolla was taking about? A half refund?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
The investigation by simo brought some results!
Exclusive interview with Juhani Lassila on the china connection
Interesting, thanks!

On the discussed Aigo:
"The similarity comes from factory design - smaller manufacturers save in expenses by selecting their design from an assortment offered by the factory. Jolla picked their hardware, colors, and of course added their unique software to differentiate for Finnish design."
So, it's almost what we were saying here: some Chinese factory "was inspired by" the iPhone prototype's design, then provided that for the Aigo and Jolla tablets, and the companies customized it (-> Jolla's Finnish design).

And on taobao tablets with sailfish:
"Officially these devices do not support Jolla Store or updates, as they are not sold through official channels," says Lassila."
Now, this wants me to buy on of those chinese-sailfishs and try "OFFICIALLY not supported"!
Sounds like an invitation
Yes, it's interesting if they can/will block those devices, or whether the Taobao tablets will work identically to the official ones.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
are we blaming the designer today for this scam?

Why no invitations today...its feb
It was some delicious speculation on the relationship between the Aigo and the Jolla, and how that may have influenced the parts availability excuse, as the Aigo has also been discontinued.

My next thought is if a backer buys a Taobao Sailfish, then it's reasonable for Jolla to offer store support for it as a gesture of good faith. What would this involve? Some sort of key in the efi vars?

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Thinking about the pros and cons of getting a chinafish, i need to turn around on my previous statement.

As eager as i am to check them out, wouldn't it be cool if we could start some kind of ban towards the chinafishes so they are never sold and then much later offered to jolla for a much cheaper price?

Last edited by mosen; 2016-02-01 at 18:58.

Thinking about the pros and cons of getting a chinafish, i need to turn around on my previous statement.

As eager as i am to check them out, wouldn't i be cool if we could start some kind of ban towards the chinafishes so they are never sold and then much later offered to jolla for a much cheaper price?
That was my first thought, but I think they'd be sold off as android before that happened. I don't think the scumbag can be beaten.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Have you got any pictures of that design as s standard ODM design? I always thought it had too much similarity with the phone to have been designed elsewhere. The Indiegogo page explicitly states that it was designed in Finland too, so I'd assumed it was the same company who designed the phone.
February 9, 2015

Note: Same camera, back and speaker location

More pictures... same date.

Some key differences... processor, screen, USB connector amongst other small changes (ex. color).

The word "designed" is probably pretty loosely used here to be honest but the modifications are enough different from the Aigo x86 design. I cannot locate the ODM responsible for that design - I swear I had it.

As eager as i am to check them out, wouldn't i be cool if we could start some kind of ban towards the chinafishes so they are never sold and then much later offered to jolla for a much cheaper price?
I think it would be cooler if jolla gave their blessing for us to go and buy them and help get sailfish on them.
At the end of the day the more sailfish devices out there in people's hands, the better for Jolla in the long run.

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
I found the phone designer: http://infinity.fi/jolla/
Oh that's really disappointing that they had to partner with another company for industrial design.
I always assumed that the interesting but relatively lacklustre design (and slightly naff components) was due to an ODM rush around the time of changing the chipset but that they still had all the people who made the beautiful N9 on staff.

Last ditch hope we'll see something interesting from Jolla/Intex at MWC...

They need to open up the Sailfish licensing mechanism to any self-installed device. I could see why they didn't when they were still in the hw business, but now it seems pointless not to.

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
HAHA, if these numbers are correct, there is not much to ban
Concidering some of the sellers offer them since our first find end of November... I sold equal amount of sea horse sushi like "JustBig Amoy Shop" sold tablets
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...3s2u7C_r3azHg/

Last edited by mosen; 2016-02-01 at 19:41.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund