Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
The prototype photos were out already in 2012. See this older post of mine for a photo and links.

Here's another article from 2012 with lots of different iPhone proto designs.

It's not necessarily a lie that it was designed in Finland. The customizations were probably designed there

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by emev View Post
It's not necessarily a lie that it was designed in Finland. The customizations were probably designed there
Could have been the same (scandanavian) designer that proposed the iphone one, then reused it after it wasn't taken on. If that design actually belonged to apple, you can be sure the Jolla tablet wouldn't have made it as far as it did...

I found the phone designer: http://infinity.fi/jolla/ . They don't mention the tablet, so only Jolla's chief designer could answer for sure. Like I said before though, they don't outright lie.

Last edited by billranton; 2016-02-01 at 15:24.

Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Could have been the same (scandanavian) designer that proposed the iphone one, then reused it after it wasn't taken on. If that design actually belonged to apple, you can be sure the Jolla tablet wouldn't have made it as far as it did...
Maybe you're right. I don't know the legalities related to prototype designs.

Anyway, it surprised me when I recently saw the old iPhone design, after having seen photos of the Jolla tablet, because they looked almost the same.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by emev View Post
Anyway, it surprised me when I recently saw the old iPhone design, after having seen photos of the Jolla tablet, because they looked almost the same.
Definitely. It's still within the realms of coincidence by shape, but seems really unlikely given the matching colours. That said, it's still a really lovely design, if a bit prone to cracks without a case by the looks of that twitter thread earlier.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Does it really matter who designed the thing? The project is dead.

Definitely. It's still within the realms of coincidence by shape, but seems really unlikely given the matching colours. That said, it's still a really lovely design, if a bit prone to cracks without a case by the looks of that twitter thread earlier.
I like it, too!
We still have a chance to get one from Taobao Acutally, I'm playing with the idea of getting one with Sailfish (and a Lastu case, of course), if it's still available in the coming months.

There are no lies on that page, only promises they couldn't keep. This bitterness and suspicion is getting you down, man. Let it go
I'm certainly not bitter, and I really couldn't give shіt where it was designed!
I was suspicious about 6 months ago, and that suspicion turned into reality.

I'm only having a laugh, but I fear you are serious, so maybe you should let it go

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
The investigation by simo brought some results!
Exclusive interview with Juhani Lassila on the china connection

On the discussed Aigo:
"The similarity comes from factory design - smaller manufacturers save in expenses by selecting their design from an assortment offered by the factory. Jolla picked their hardware, colors, and of course added their unique software to differentiate for Finnish design."

And on taobao tablets with sailfish:
"Officially these devices do not support Jolla Store or updates, as they are not sold through official channels," says Lassila."

http://reviewjolla.blogspot.de/2016/...-in-china.html

Now, this wants me to buy on of those chinese-sailfishs and try "OFFICIALLY not supported"!
Sounds like an invitation

Last edited by mosen; 2016-02-01 at 16:44.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
are we blaming the designer today for this scam?

Why no invitations today...its feb

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-02-01 at 16:57.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
No, I don't. That's what I was saying.
My sincerest apologies, then. I misunderstood.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund