Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
How do you imagine that to work though. That would mean supporting the hardware adaptation for a host of devices, with potential support issues. Would paying the manufacturer to finish the 12k tablets not come out cheaper in the long run?

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
No, gerbick's suggestion was not that Jolla would give a license to the hardware manufacturer. He was suggesting that Jolla would give the license directly to the user. You yourself flash Sailfish onto the device of your choice (Fairphone or whatever), you register with Jolla, and voila, instant fully-licensed Sailfish device...

...and of course this option would have very little actual costs for Jolla

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That would mean supporting the hardware adaptation for a host of devices, with potential support issues.
It does not have to be a "host" of devices, just a "select" few that meet the right hardware specs.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Not interested in phone discount, licenses or other smoke and mirrors. Just the tablet Jack.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I think gerbick's speculation was that tablet backers would be allowed to register an official copy of Sailfish on those devices. Not sure if Jolla would really be able to put a lot of effort into those ports, but it would presumably allow things like Alien Dalvik on those machines.
If Jolla would start selling licenses directly to users for Sailfish, and if those licenses included access to Dalvik, Exchange, etc., then that would be very interesting to me.

As someone who is based in the US, I will never get the "full" Sailfish experience from a Jolla phone since that device does not support the US/Canada 3G infrastructure. An adaptation to a device that does support North American 3G (like the Nexus 5, etc), gets me closer (but not all the way, since these are generally unofficial ports without access to some of the key licensed bits) . Access to exchange and the android layer gives me (and other North America-based users) a fighting chance to use Sailfish as a daily driver.

Last edited by klinglerware; 2016-01-04 at 15:26.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
A licence isn't much good without something to install it on to.

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
That won't be happening. Fairphone aren't just going to revise a product that is already been designed manufactured and is already shipping.

From reading the Fairphone forums, all the contributors there are suggesting that Sailfish on Fairphone 2 will exist as an unofficial, community port.

I suspect that the Jolla carrot will be to swap the tablet with an Intex phone. That is all I can see them offering
that is exactly what I'm thinking
Let's hope specs won't be too outdated once we'll get them in our hands ...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by att View Post
This got me thinking... I don't know any business that doesn't lie (). And that is because all businesses are built on humans. To err is human.
Your reply got me thinking too. My immediate knee-jerk reaction was to write something along the lines of intentionally vs. not, but then I stopped and thought about it some more and...

Imagine your good friend promised you with the house move. You agree on the date and... he does not turn up. After you've done all the job yourself, you call him and ask, what happened? "Sorry, I mixed up the dates." OK, never mind, you move on.

Months later, your car breaks down. You arrange a fix at the workshop and your good friend promises you to tow you there. But again, he does not turn up on the day. "Sorry mate, I was sick."

A few more things like that happen and the next time you need a help with something, you no longer ask your friend. Not because you think he would screw you up maliciously. Simply because you cannot rely on him. Does he stop being your friend? Not necessarily. But you no longer think of him as someone you can rely on in time of need.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
I can see two sort of people here:

- the ones who wish Jolla to disappear. They will find all sort of reasons for that. That is very easy to find them. That is the same when you get divorced, you always find good reasons for it . Those people probably have a secret wish in that the end of Jolla is slow to let them write still much about it. They can say that at Jolla they are liars, that they are bad in PR, that management is bad, that they do not deserve to stay alive after so many disappointments ...
(the only thing i never read is that sailors are not committed which is at least something)
You should play the ball, instead of the man. Instead of simply taking all of the criticism and shoving it in a pigeonhole marked 'Jolla haterz', you could explain why it is wrong. After all, the last line above undermines your argument, since if people wanted Jolla to fail, then they would also want those sailors to be out of a job.

This is part of human being to always find ways to criticize. That is so much easier than building something (I am not sure that there are many start-up leader around tmo).
I don't think it's fair to place such a burden on those who have given Jolla money in good faith. A loyal football fan paying for their season ticket may criticise the players without having the skills of Lionel Messi.

Critics is constructive as long as it is not : "they are all liars" "they stole our money" "support is nowhere" or tell obvious thing as being negative "they are behind others in functionalities for developers and customers" "they lack a proper budget to develop their OS" or when you comment the past over and over "the delivery of first phones was a fiasco" "the special thing for early adopters was a joke with a ringtone and a t-shirt"
Perhaps it is true that some criticism has become less constructive, but that is inevitable while people become increasingly frustrated at the lack of straightforward communication from Jolla. They have basically been playing bulls!t bingo for the last few months over this tablet business.

Disappointment is relative to expectations. Jolla raised those expectations with talk of 'people powered', 'unlike' etc. Nobody expected a perfect product delivered exactly on time. They just don't like being blagged.

If I lose the money of the tablet, be it. I am investing in an alternative OS that I hope will go on.
Not everybody can be so flippant about losing such money, and you should remember that the crowdfunding goal may not have been reached in the first place without the support of those people.

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I believe the surprise will be a SailfishOS license. Perhaps a way to install it on many different tablets via flashing. SailfishOS as a Cyanogenmod model seems inevitable.

And if that's the case, that's where they will lose me.
A license plus everything I need to install SFOS incl. Alien Dalvik on my (ex-Android) phone of my choice ...

That would indeed be nice

Why would Jolla be losing you there? (O.k. maybe some additional compensation money-wise. Or a full refund plus a free license to compensate for the painfull waiting - We are speculating, aren't we?)

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund