Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
This charger will work too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Win...dp/B008UL0PW4/

or not if you read the reviews

Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Your statement isn't credible.
If Stskeeps is the same person as @stskeeps on Twitter, he is one of the most credible sources on Jolla matters on this forum, I think.

Originally Posted by zenecho View Post
or not if you read the reviews
That depends on how strong your forearms are, obviously ;-)

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
One deserves a tablet if one pays for it, that's all. And if it doesn't come with a charger, then it needs to come with a clear specification for the user. None of this 'you should just know, dumbass,' stuff.

Finally, there would be (almost) zero complaints if it was stated upfront: 'Charger not included. 2A micro USB charger (ir whatever) required.' Many non-childish non-whiners simply feel that mentioning the non-inclusuon if a charger as an 'oh, by the way . . .' several months after they paid is merely a way of cutting costs by leaving out mandatory accessories.
I don't think anyone would disagree it would have been nice if they had told this earlier. However, originally they didn't say either way so it was you, me and some others that thought our own without any factual basis it would include a charger even when one was not promised. It was my mistake to assume. When I first heard it I got over it in less than 5 minutes. One of my first thoughts were: I have already multiple USB chargers (1A and 2A) and if I need more I can easily buy one. And this is exactly what EU was after when they compelled vendors to standardize the power charging of mobile devices.

I think 13:06 UTC, since the campaign was last November during 'Standard Time'.
Darn you Woodrow Wilson!

--------
Now, after today's blog post on the Jolla Tablet Blog, at first I was excited to at least have an update, but upon reading it, all we got is a lot more ambiguous fluff. Nothing clear, concise or concrete about ANYTHING other than a few tablets have shipped.

Last edited by maxinflixion; 2015-10-08 at 21:44.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
I just got the email from Jolla telling me the tracking information for the Tablet... it should be in my hands today!
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Uhm, "Use a USB charger"? All of them will work.

Except that a 2A charger is not required. A "2A" charger will indeed charge faster, but older chargers will still work just fine.
I didn't mean to imply that I was literally writing their spec -- that's why I threw in that 'or whatever'. (Also, I'd expect to get paid standard tech writer rates in that case.) It was an example. It's just best for everybody -- buyer and seller -- for the customer to know how to get the most out of the product. If the spec would be "Any micro-USB charger will work, but a 2A charger will be much faster," than that's the thing to say. The Finnish review quoted above really suggests that a reviewer used a low capacity charger and it took forever to charge, so it negatively impacted his/her impression of the tablet itself. Although it may be partly the reviewer's fault for not researching that further, it's all Jolla's problem that that's what the review says. They can't make anyone buy the tablet, after all. Except for us here: we've already paid. But you meant what I knew.

I've been in manufacturing and in software. And I've worked places where every problem was "stupid users". Even if we could have done something easy and cheap to head off the problem for the majority of them, there was resistance to it. Because there would always be someone dissatisfied with everything, and other customers who never would "get it" no matter what, we didn't fix these issues since it wasn't a perfect solution. In that case, the "perfect solution" found us: customers bought the competitor's product and we went out of business.

I'm not suggesting the charger thing is as big of a deal as the end of the company. Rather it's an "opportunity" -- as the "half-fullers" would say -- to do better.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
I just got the email from Jolla telling me the tracking information for the Tablet... it should be in my hands today!
Please let us know what US customs/duties apply (if any) when you find out!

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
it's all Jolla's problem that that's what the review says. They can't make anyone buy the tablet, after all.
Hmm. This kind of ties in with the question I've had for a long time -- does Jolla actually _want_ to sell lots of tablets (or phones, for that matter)? I don't know how much Jolla actually advertises their products, but they don't seem to be doing a whole lot to create accessories for the phone, or have any intention of creating a successor device. I suspect that the whole "pre-order" offer last month was a way to top off their total tablet order, so that they could reach a particular volume (and thereby receive a discount) -- under the assumption that they would probably not sell any more tablets after reaching that goal.

I think Jolla is doing exactly what they need to do in order to sell this equipment to folks who know their way around mobile electronics. And so, my assumption is that they simply have no intention of trying to sell these devices to the public in general.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund