Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
http://www.trustedreviews.com/jolla-tablet-review

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Ok, I'm kinda disturbed by this "trusted review". The date on the article is Oct 6th, and the images embedded in the article are indeed of the most recent version of the tablet. However, there are already 359 "shares" of the article, and it has reader comments dating back to seven months ago. (Plus, if you click on the "35 images" tab at the top of the review, more than half of those images are of the older version of the tablet.)

My guess is that this is not a new review, but rather an old review that has been updated. As such, I'm not 100% sure which version of the tablet is being reviewed here. Not that it should make much difference in the end, it's just a little odd...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
"Trusted" reviews? How can I trust someone who mixes up their apostrophes?

It's not cheap and tacky, but it's has a more mid-range Android tablet feel...
Emphasis mine.

No surprise about sluggish performance .. though I don't think it has anything to do with the supposedly lacking hardware, as they claim.

Something far more worrying, though:

"A 30-minute charge will give roughly just over 10%".

That's absolutely awful. Basic hardware platform may be standard in these Intel tablets, but going with a small, cheap OEM can result in other impacts on performance. Can't imagine any of the bigger brands performing that woefully on the charging front in this day and age. Some smartphones with 4000mah batteries fully charge in ~60-70 minutes these days. 4400mah 30 minutes for 10% is beyond bad.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-10-07 at 20:04.

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
"A 30-minute charge will give roughly just over 10%".
They did not specify the charger they used thou...
Since non is included, maybe they hooked it up to a 1A phonecharger instead of a 2A suitable for >4000mah batteries?

I believe nothing regarding chargetimes until i hooked it up my 5 port 40W Anker charger :P

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
First tablets are moving. Prepar for impact on Friday!

https://together.jolla.com/question/...-been-shipped/

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
They did not specify the charger they used thou...
Since non is included, maybe they hooked it up to a 1A phonecharger instead of a 2A suitable for >4000mah batteries?

I believe nothing regarding chargetimes until i hooked it up my 5 port 40W Anker charger :P
Assuming a doubling of the amplitude, that would still result in very long charge times. I assume it has a very cheap power regulator and / or battery.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
First tablets are moving. Prepar for impact on Friday!

https://together.jolla.com/question/...-been-shipped/
Could it be that they are shipping per country? Selecting the first country in the queue they haven't yet handled and then collecting all the orders for the same country in the same invitation group? In this case Sweden.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
My guess is that this is not a new review, but rather an old review that has been updated. As such, I'm not 100% sure which version of the tablet is being reviewed here. Not that it should make much difference in the end, it's just a little odd...
Yes, I remember reading this review a few months ago. I'm sure that you are right here.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Quick English translation of HS's Jolla review (http://www.hs.fi/tekniikka/a1441337804855). I used Google for a raw translation and then improved it.

Testing Jolla Tablet: Jolla's first tablet stands out from the rest

Jolla's first tablet has an ingenious feature: the screen orientation can be locked so that it does not rotate when rotating the device.

Technology 5.9.2015 2:00 Updated: 6.9.2015 11:36
Olli-Pekka Komonen

Finnish Jolla is serious in trying to conquer their share of smart devices market. Spearheaded with its own operating system, Sailfish OS. Now for the first time it is available for the tablet world.

Tablets have become very boring. Cheap Android devices are like carbon copies of each other, and Apple's iPads are slightly more efficient and lighter from generation to another.

The impact of Microsoft's Windows 10 tablets is only just beginning, and their success remains to be seen.

The sandbox of big boys is being aimed from Finland by Jolla which is trying to make things in its own way. This is seen and felt as soon as you take the tablet in your hand.

Although the form of language doesn't deviate much from the mainstream there is still something unique right away from the first touch.

The feeling becomes even stronger when the tablet starts. Fortunately on the first time you start it Jolla goes through a short tutorial.

Using Sailfish OS is based on different swipes across the screen. The familiar three buttons from Android world or even one button from Apple devices are not available.

However, after a little practice you will learn to use it surprisingly well.

For example in the e-mail application placing your finger on the center of the screen and draging it down brings up a menu where you can search for or send an email. But if you drag your finger downwards from top from the outside of the screen another menu is revealed allowing you to select silent mode or lock the device.

A swipe from right to left brings up e-mail folders - whereas a swipe from the outside of the screen from right to left brings up running applications. From the application list you can for example directly control a music player without opening it in full screen.

For applications Jolla's solution is interesting. The device can in principle run Android applications.

However, Google's Play store is not available, but applications can be installed via an alternative Aptoid application store.

Unfortunately, the applications worked quite randomly at the time of the test, some of them work, some do not.

However, work is done night and day to improve the compatibility.

Jolla is personal and good looking device which is easy to like despite certain shortcomings. There is one ingenious feature other manufacturers should immediately copy. If you press the screen with a finger when you rotate the tablet the screen does not rotate with it.

For example while surffing Internet in a bed in the evening it started to feel crazy the feature has not been in use for years.

Pros:
- Originality
- Ease of use
- The ingenious screen rotation lock!

Cons:
- Weak cameras
- Still problems with applications
- Battery life

Jolla Tablet. Price 267 euros.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund