Active Topics

Originally Posted by keloid View Post
so is the general consensus that mplayer probably wont be able to play h264 in an nsv container due to lack of resources?

if this is true, this is a deal breaker for me (as to whether i purchase the n800 or not)!
As of now, mplayer certainly can't do DSP accelerated H.264 playback - and it won't any time soon unless the internal media player grows a shared OMAP DSP H.264 library. Writing your own takes time, and it is beyond the power of the mplayer authors or porters to purchase a OMAP DSP library, while Nokia can do so, if the rights aren't already included...

The Following User Says Thank You to sevo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
It's a .mov file, so file manager doesn't know how to handle it.
Well, that would be a QuickTime file. The video inside the QuickTime container may be MPEG-4 Part 10, but there's (sadly) not much support for the QuickTime container format in Linux, so the tablets don't know what to do with it.

Renaming it to AVI won't help, as that extension is for a completely different (and much less sophisticated) container format. It's like renaming a Word .doc file to .txt and expecting FBReader accept that.

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
What kind of H.264 are supported ?
I haven't played much with H.264 in OS2008 yet, but it should support H.264 in a program stream. (And in a transport stream for streaming purposes.) It certainly supports the MP4 container format. Very likely, it will also support H.264 inside an AVI, just because so many people refuse to let AVI's bloated corpse rest in piece.

Anyway, look for some .mp4 files. Apple-ish .m4v files will also work.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Downingtown, Pennsylvania
I see that you said .m4v files are supported. While I agree they are supported from the standpoint the N800 opens them and tries to play them, it's not doing a very good job with the files I have. Some will play but are EXTREMELY choppy, while others will make it hang completely. The files I'm trying to use are either those which I encoded for my iPod, or those that are available as video podcasts like The Discovery Channel.

I guess it could be a problem with the encoding settings being too high, but it boggles my mind that the iPod can play them well while the N800 chokes.

For my personal movies, I *can* re-encode them to something that works well on the N800 (xvid, 560x330 @ 24fps, 700kbps, MP3 works VERY well), but I'd rather not have to go through that if I don't have to. For video podcasts, there is nothing I can do... it will be whatever they encode it for, and iPods are king right now, so that will be the de facto format for most I would think (hopefully that changes to something like xvid AVIs.

Any help in figuring this out would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have some .mp4 files with H.264 video and AAC audio that was encoded for the PSP in mind. So rather than having a resolution equivalent to 480p, the resolution is 480x272. When I try to play it with the built-in media player, it refuses to play saying that the file format is not supported.

With MPlayer, the file could play but it was very choppy. Here's the file report from MPlayer:
Code:
MPlayer 1.0rc1-maemo.25.n8x0 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: ARM
Internet Tablet OS version: RX-34+RX-44_2008SE_2.2007.50-2_PR_MR0

Menu inited: /etc/mplayer/menu.conf

Playing /media/mmc1/Videos/[Conclave-Mendoi]_Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00_-_01_[480x272_H.264_AAC][D1326F04].mp4.
Quicktime/MOV file format detected.
VIDEO:  [avc1]  480x272  24bpp  23.976 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
[nokia770] Nokia N800 hardware detected
[***] auto-open
[***] Init
==========================================================================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
Trying to force audio codec driver family dspmp3...
Trying to force audio codec driver family libmad...
Opening audio decoder: [faad] AAC (MPEG2/4 Advanced Audio Coding)
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 66.4 kbit/4.32% (ratio: 8297->192000)
Selected audio codec: [faad] afm: faad (FAAD AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio) decoder)
[AO ESD] latency: [server: 0.28s, net: 0.00s] (adjust 0.28s)
AO: [esd] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 480 x 272 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
VO: [nokia770] 480x272 => 480x272 Planar YV12  [fs] [zoom]
[nokia770] Using ARM JIT YUV420 scaler (quality=2) to scale 480x272 => 480x272

Exiting... (Quit)

I am also playing with H264/AVC. As I don't want to go back to MPEG-4 ASP or Divx.

For certain, there is no way the N810 can keep up with PSP files encoded using level 3 main profile. You must re-encode.

I have some success with 400x240 resolution and let the LCD h/w scaler do the image doubling. For audio, HE-AAC at 64Kbps. You want to give all the processor power to handle the h264 decoding, which is most time consuming.

Right now I am encoding my movies using level 1.2 baseline profile, and doing a 2-pass encoding. But I have some problem with the 2-pass encoding, the max video bit rate produced is still too high for the N810 to handle, I tried to lower the level to 1.1, but the built-in player won't accept that profile.

From what I have observed so far. With audio set to 64Kbps. If the video bit rate reaches above 450Kbps, you are starting to drop frames, and the video will look choppy. So I need to play with my encoder and to put a constraint on the output bit rate. If I can do that, then I think I can produce very good quality AVC video, much better quality than MPEG-4 ASP.

Last edited by dchao; 2008-02-28 at 06:54.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Switching the audio to mp3 will probably give you a bit of headroom for video, as mp3 can be handled on the DSP or through a highly optimized decoder on the CPU.

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
Switching the audio to mp3 will probably give you a bit of headroom for video, as mp3 can be handled on the DSP or through a highly optimized decoder on the CPU.
I thought that was a good idea. I remembered when I was playing with the different settings, a video with no audio track got the smoothest playback. And as soon as I added the AAC audio back, the video started to get choppy. Maybe AAC is taking too much decoding time away from the CPU?

So if the h/w can decode mp3, we should make the mp3 the default sound track.

So I used MP4BOX to mux a H264 video stream with an mp3 audio stream and output to a MP4 container. But the default media player did not like the audio stream. I checked .MP4 file with GSpot, it had a 4cc <mp4a:MPEG-1> audio codec (which I believe it is correct).

Looks like the OS2008 just doesn't support mp3 inside the .MP4 container.

Does anyone know how to play mp3 inside a MP4 container on the N810?

Last edited by dchao; 2008-02-28 at 09:54.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
Looks like the OS2008 just doesn't support mp3 inside the .MP4 container.

Does anyone know how to play mp3 inside a MP4 container on the N810?
MPEG-1 Layer 3 isn't valid inside an MPEG-4 file. There are tools that will create such beasties, sure, and there are pleanty of them in the wild, but a player that follows specs won't grok them.

That said, have you tried MPlayer? It might play your files.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2008-02-28 at 15:19. Reason: I make boneheaded typos

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
MPEG-2 Layer 3 isn't valid inside an MPEG-4 file. There are tools that will create such beasties, sure, and there are pleanty of them in the wild, but a player that follows specs won't grok them.
h.264 + mp3 = .avi

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Here is an wiki article on the container formats.

Comparison of container formats

Highlights:

h264 + mp3 -> .avi = problematic

.mp4 should support mpeg1 layer3 audio, but I agree, many implementations do not (I think Xbox is one of them) (edit: just tried this beasty with QT and PS3, no go either! But VLC and MPlayers are fine)

I haven't tried mplayer yet, because my first attempt is to get the h264/avc to play on the out-of-box N810 media player. A few posts up, sevo said the mplayer did not support DSP accelerated H.264 playback yet. So I am trying not to use it fearing it will give me worse performance.

Last edited by dchao; 2008-03-02 at 21:17.